The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Switch Trick Names

What do you mean? A “switch straight air nose grab” would mean you grab the end of your board that is forward (leaves the ground first). The nose is always the leading end of your board. Even if you spun switch backside grabbing that end, it would then be a Swack 5 Nose, Or Swack Nose 5 depending on how you like to announce to the kids gasping in awe what the trick your friend just did.

To be fair, I’m not saying this is the correct way - this is just how I’ve come to know it as. Determining the way a trick is called, or sometimes even explaining a trick is generally one of the most avoided subjects regarding snowboarding (ahem, fs/bs, lipslide rails up next?)

Rails I can explain because it has been written what’s what. Switch grabs however don’t seem to have any real rules written down.

Okay well, I’ll put you down for an “against” vote if that’s the way you’ve always used said it. I’ve heard it said both ways.

Personally I think the nose is the nose no matter what. If you are really stanced back or you are riding a pow board with a flat tail and pointy nose, it would be pretty weird to say the tail is the “new nose” just cause you’re going to switch. But the sport is evolving with the equipment I guess.
No way they would have used the term Switch Nose back in the day, but I guess now we could.

I still think it’s making things more complex than they need to be.

I’m gonna jump into the against side as well, I’m down with most of what SamNZ has been saying.  The nose is the part of the board that leaves the jump first.

So back to the method thing. I’ve seen Devun walsh take off switch and then do a method, so it’s right to call it switch method right?

I agree with Andy!!!!!

The nose of the board is always the nose of the board regardless of what direction it travels!!!!!

Just like the toe edge/heel edge still stay the same!!!!!

If a rider was to grab the swallow tail of a fish in the air, calling it a nose grab would just seem wrong to me?????

@Skip, I havent seen it but could ya call it a “Reverse Method” maybe????? Does he land switch?????

@mizu: Yes he does land switch. So take off switch, method switch, and land switch.

I agree if a rider is riding a a swallow tail it’ll be weird calling it a nose but if he/she is ridnig a twin board now what? If you’re riding switch and now grab your “nose” (which is now the tail cuz you’re riding switch) that’s also seems wrong.

At the same time, on rails/boxes I believe if you do a switch nose press then the nose will always be the one in front of you right (like what Sam said)?

That would be called a switch nose grab?????

If you start ground spinning on the nose of your board, but initiate the trick when switch, is this called a tail press????? I don’t reckon!!!!!

A question to the instructors, if you come into a box switch, 180 to nose press (actual nose of the board) do you call this a tail press?????

*snap

Ohh, and even a “True Twin” will still have a nose/tail, with either a directional flex or a asymmetrical side cut!!!!!

Okay, that makes it 3 for, 3 against. This seams to be a pretty divided subject.

@Skip, I want to say yes. But:
1. I haven’t seen if he grabs it with the same hand or the other.
2. This is one of the things we are discussing so I can’t really give an answer because we don’t have a decision yet.
(Not that we BoardWorlders decide the name of all things in snowboarding, but it would be nice to get a general idea one way or the other.

@Mizu That’s a very good point about the edges! People DEFINITELY don’t say “Switch Heel edge” or “Switch Toe edge”.
Though I realise the position of toes/heels don’t change, so that’s why.
BUT on the same note, if you hold a board in your hands, you will say “This is the nose, this is the tail”.
If you hold it upside down, does the tail become the new nose? Nope, because it has nothing to do with direction. It’s about equipment and body parts.

Saying it that way just over complicates it and seams weird in my opinion. Which is why I started this thread. But regardless, it’s 3 votes each.

Good point about buttering too.
If you start a spinning butter on the nose… it’s a nose butter. It’s not a nose/tail/nose/tail/nose/tail/nose/tail butter as the board changes direction LOL

Another example would be - if you are riding switch and start spinning a butter on the ‘actual tail’ of the board. You would just call it a tail butter right?
Surely you wouldn’t call it a switch nose/tail/nose/tail/nose well you get the idea.

The Tail always feels like the Tail and the Nose always feels like the Nose.
Not just because most boards noses & tales have a different flex (even true twins). But also because my right foot will always be my right foot.
No matter how good at switch I get.

If you envisage a guy ridin a fish, takes off switch, grabs the rounded end of the board!!!!!

This is a nose grab for sure!!!!!

And under these same guidelines, as you said so too Andy, all boards have a nose!!!!!

Why would the same logic no longer apply to a true twin, just because the shape is similar to that of the tail?????

*pans (switch snap)