The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Summer - who surfs and what level?

Poll: Who surfs and what level?
Total Votes: 40
No
No but I want to learn
Yes but pretty much a beginner
Yes at an intermediate level
Yes and have done it most of my life so I’m decent at it.
drc13 - 24 September 2012 10:45 AM

not much surf out RPS’s way.

i have simmos beach in mac fields?  LOL

Northern Lights - 24 September 2012 08:05 AM

I’m also looking at taking stand up a little more seriously, anyone think it will help improve my snowboarding??

From my very limited experience (I’m shit at surfing and also snowboard natural yet surf goofy which doesn’t help) I don’t think they are really that similar other than requiring balance whilst standing sideways. The way your weight is distributed and how turns are initiated are fairly different.

RPS88A - 24 September 2012 12:04 PM

With the added challenge of dodging syringes and bodies! smile

Beat me to the syringe and dead body comment… :S

TJswish - 24 September 2012 12:25 PM

Beat me to the syringe and dead body comment… :S

LOL

Ctown represent!

hahahaha other than simmos beach though, wollongong is only a 45min drive grin

Or going to Cronulla is only 45 as well.

RPS88A - 24 September 2012 12:28 PM

hahahaha other than simmos beach though, wollongong is only a 45min drive grin

I’ll have to remember that next time I complain that I might actually have to wear thongs to the beach as the roads too hot to cross!  tongue rolleye

Northern Lights - 24 September 2012 11:59 AM

Good to see some sane posters on here. Any of you board around the central coast?

haha yep. I live not far from Soldier’s Beach. Ride the boog or my mini mal when its not good waves. There are some fun booging waves around here but I haven’t been able to surf that much recently. Where abouts are you Mr Lights?

Ouch harsh cords confusing me for a booger and RPS!!!! not much surf out RPS’s way. How do I go about changing my screen name???

Not sure, I think you may have to email jez and ask him to do it.

I think its more harsh for RPS getting possibly mistaken for being a standup? hahaha
I used to live in the nulla. So many good waves around and it is possible to get them uncrowded - sometimes!

cords - 24 September 2012 01:11 PM
Northern Lights - 24 September 2012 11:59 AM

Good to see some sane posters on here. Any of you board around the central coast?

haha yep. I live not far from Soldier’s Beach. Ride the boog or my mini mal when its not good waves. There are some fun booging waves around here but I haven’t been able to surf that much recently. Where abouts are you Mr Lights?

I just moved to the Killcare area, so Killcare, Macmasters, copa and avoca are all near by. Where is soldiers beach, cords?

Where did you move from? I moved from the nthn suburbs of wollongong almost a year ago.

Soldier’s is up the northern end of the central coast, about 10minutes north of The Entrance.

Newcastle to Umina in feb last year, then to here in feb this year.

Much nicer here than Umina.

RPS88A - 24 September 2012 12:04 PM

not much surf out RPS’s way.

LOL
First place I ever paddled a surfboard.

You guys are all too young to remember but we had a water park behind Mac Square in the 80’s - there was a giant, almost vert slide into a pool and the pool bottom was tapered like a beach. 2 people at a time would use the slide and when they hit the pool it created waves. Families would hang there like at the beach.
They had plans to build an actual wave pool but closed down before it happened.

Don’t forget Douglas Park, only this Sunday gone I saw a heap of people swimming there while driving home from the ‘gong.

I used to swim at Kentlyn but these days I hear the water is toxic - I don’t think anything in the upper part of Georges River is safe including Simo’s.

Why is this slowly becoming a surfers vs bodyboarders thread, this was not my intention and how come bodyboarders are “sane” and “the good type” with the implication that surfers are not?  I thought this argument had been done and discarded with, Cords you’re the one who goes on about how everyone should be able to enjoy the waves no matter what they ride and here you are starting it.  Back on topic please.