The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Summer - who surfs and what level?

Poll: Who surfs and what level?
Total Votes: 40
No
No but I want to learn
Yes but pretty much a beginner
Yes at an intermediate level
Yes and have done it most of my life so I’m decent at it.

If it is anything like winter it will be the best summer of waves ever (since you wont be here!!)

nthnbeachesguy - 20 September 2012 10:44 PM
rider26 - 20 September 2012 07:40 AM

I’ve had my PWC license for about 10 years now. And I have my Bronze Medallion (haha not quite a first aid cert but all the knowledge is there).

Nthn, I’ve never actually done tow-in but I’ve been keen for ages. I know one of my mates would be keen as hell to join as well.

I’ll speak to you closer to the time re equipment. I’m pretty set but I wouldn’t mind upgrading my tow rope as it’s pretty basic (we’ve been using this one for wakeboarding).

Yeeeeeew! shaka

Ha ha a good tow rope is a necessity, mate started making em after a tow in incident we suffered about 5-6 years ago.  We were out a bit south of Bells, was only about 6ft but with a real stiff offshore, before I towed him he was telling me that I had to be really aware of where the tow rope was while waiting for a set lest it get sucked into the impeller.  Sure enough he totally forgot about it and ran straight over it a while later and the ski coughed and died.  We spent the next hour taking turns with a diving mask and a knife diving underneath the ski and hacking at the rope for as long as we could hold our breath all the while getting blown further out to sea.  Not a very nice feeling in freezing cold water dressed like a human condom and looking very seal like doing that in deep water.

Eventually we ripped enough out for the ski to be started again and it spat what little remained of the rope out the back and we limped back to Zeally Bay.  After that he started making ropes that had a nylon core with a half inch think foam wrapped around the nylon and a nylon outer covering, too thick now to be pulled into the impeller and also floats so you can see where it is, necessity is the mother of invention!

Have a squiz at the comment on the ropes ha ha ha!

http://www.gboards.com.au/products/g-sleds

I’ve got my bronze as well, didn’t know about the first aid cert requirement though, wouldn’t take me to long to sort that out through the surf club.  Been meaning to finish my boat licence off ages ago, will do my PWC at the same time, always good to have.

Looks great, I’ll probably grab one of those ropes. Keep me posted on everything.

Did someone say epic waterslide???

remove the full link dude, only use the last part of it *ShFAeNdiEiA*

Yeah was a my bad, i used the embed code as thats whats i have to use on another forum haha

What? You find a need to go to other forums?

Must be a sex thing cause everything else important is covered on BW.

snowbum_spaz - 22 September 2012 07:56 PM

What? You find a need to go to other forums?

Must be a sex thing cause everything else important is covered on BW.

LOL bahahahaha

I’ve always bodyboarded but when I had my ACL reconstruction, I stopped and have only been a handful of times in the last couple of years. Not sure if there are any other bodyboarders on here. I’m also looking at taking stand up a little more seriously, anyone think it will help improve my snowboarding??

I reckon skating will improve your snowboarding more than surfing but it cant hurt and it hurts a lot less when you fall, having said that I have had shitloads of stitches from surfing, blown medial and two ear ops as a result ha ha!  Also your less likely to get eaten skating or snowboarding although in certain parts of the NoHe getting eaten could still be on the agenda.

Northern Lights - 24 September 2012 08:05 AM

Not sure if there are any other bodyboarders on here.

There are a few of the good sort here grin myself and crackers being two of them.

lol me too cords, haven’t been out for a couple of years though

RPS88A - 24 September 2012 09:02 AM

lol me too cords

I knew I liked you grin

don’t you live in cronulla or is that DRC and I’m getting confused?

I have to admit that all the screen names that are a mixture of initials and numbers totally confuse me and I have trouble remembering who is who.

hahaha drc is the one from cronulla and he’s a surfer hahaha we’re mates outside of here so ur close enough lol

Ouch harsh cords confusing me for a booger and RPS!!!! not much surf out RPS’s way. How do I go about changing my screen name???

More on topic, went for a swim at the beach today, water is still pretty fresh at 18c but it was nice to be in the water. Unfortunately I’ve triggered an old pain in the shoulder joint whilst body surfing, hurt every arm rotation after that :(

Good to see some sane posters on here. Any of you board around the central coast?