The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Feedback on my riding

Mizu Kuma - 23 February 2012 03:23 AM

You might be a bird?????

well, I’m big, have a yellow jacket and flap my arms alot

@mizu: Thanks Mizu!

Gamblor - 23 February 2012 03:41 AM
Mizu Kuma - 23 February 2012 03:23 AM

You might be a bird?????

well, I’m big, have a yellow jacket and flap my arms alot

Do the yakitori joints make ya feel uneasy?????

@skip : No wukkas mate!!!!!

i never eat yakitori. When i first discovered it I loved it….until the guy recommended a stick of intestines. It wasn’t til I was eating them that I looked at them and realized what I was eating. barf

sick

lol. speak of the devil. it was yakitori for dinner tonight!

Hey skip11, thanks for posting the video this is exactly what this section of the forum is all about.

Your riding style is smooth and has good flow.  Towards the end of your clip you did some shorter radius carved turns.  Check out how upright your upper body is during these turns and compare it to your bigger carved turns at the start of the clip.  Try and bring that uprightness to your bigger turns.

On heelside:  Once you’ve changed to your heel edge think about sitting back like you’re about to sit on a bar stool and pull your toes up, this should allow you to control the pressure at the end of the turn and get good grip.

On toeside: Let your hip come to the inside of the turn as well as using your knee and ankle joints to edge the board more.

Andys advice about going for a shred with an instructor is spot on, a visual demonstration is very helpful.

Gamblor - 23 February 2012 01:09 PM

lol. speak of the devil. it was yakitori for dinner tonight!

LOL I take it that ya skipped on the crispy entrails this time round?????

@Aidy: Thanks for the tips! I have a few questions. I remember Jeremy and I think it might be snowslider or someone else said that not to sit back but instead try sitting straight down but lean the upper body/hips more to the hill (I guess more inclination)? I think by “sitting back” you promote bending at the waist?

For toeside, I think a small part of the problem of not using enough angulation I feel is that I tend to do more leaning over on flatter terrain and a bit more (although probably still not enough) on a relatively “steeper” terrain.

hey skip, so hopefully I can address your questions together.  On flat terrain try making your edging movements from the base up.  That is use your ankles first, if you need even more edge bring your knees into play too.  Now this will probably work fine for gentle terrain and limited speed but as soon as you up the ante you’ll notice you have to let your hips come much further to the inside of the turn to allow you to balance against the forces.  Think tug of war, you wouldn’t win if you stayed standing upright, you have to lean back to pull the rope harder. 

One word on shoulders to complete the picture, the admittedly unfeasible idea of balancing a glass of water* on each shoulder is a good guide to keep you nicely balance over your board.

*it should be beer, who gives a toss about spilling water….

Let me know if I’ve not made myself clear or you don’t agree.

aidy

I think I got what you mean. So when doing a heelside turn, imagine there’s a glass of water on your shoulder and make sure it doesn’t spill?

update. This is taken from yesterday at 7th heaven. Snow is a little bumpy and not really ideal for caving. I tried to initiate with my upper body more use a bit more inclination on my heelside and angulation on my toeside. I notice my backhand on heelside sometimes still goes infront.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZU3tpPJ81w&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

bumpity bumpp

Looking better, Skip.

Your lower body seems to be steering more efficiently and your body position is better through the turns.

Still, concentrate on really driving your knees towards the snow on toeside turns, while keeping your upper body just as upright as it is now (i.e. don’t lean over any more). See if you get get stronger, more aggressive edging happening, without tilting over further. Push the knees down hard! You could probably sink down a bit lower on heelside turns too - but it’s looking better so well done with that.

I like the point you mentioned too. Initiate with your upper body, but hold it super strong through the turn. Get your upper body in position in anticipation for the turn, then hold that position super strong throughout the duration of the turn.

Hope that helps a bit. I’ll be riding with you again soon so we can work on it further.