The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Feedback on my riding

Mizu Kuma - 20 January 2013 05:42 AM

You can tell right away that the PYL’s Camber is wayyy better to carve with on hardpack, than the T-Rice!!!!!

* And powder will be no different I reckon!!!!!

Ohhh, and ya turns look smooth to me!!!!!  shaka

How can you tell this from the video? And what makes you think it has to do with the board and not his technique?

@mizu: Thanks Mizu!
@SamNZ: Any feedback on my riding Sam?

But I do feel the PYL grips much better (less skidding) compared to my rice due to the camber.

SamNZ - 20 January 2013 06:30 AM
Mizu Kuma - 20 January 2013 05:42 AM

You can tell right away that the PYL’s Camber is wayyy better to carve with on hardpack, than the T-Rice!!!!!

* And powder will be no different I reckon!!!!!

Ohhh, and ya turns look smooth to me!!!!!  shaka

How can you tell this from the video? And what makes you think it has to do with the board and not his technique?

I can see there’s less “chatter”, and it draws a cleaner line!!!!!

Plus I’ve ridden the T-Rice, and CamRock Yes, and felt the same thing as what I was watching!!!!!

skip already had a decent carve stance, and while he looks a tad more “polished”, I can still notice what the board is doin from my own personal experience!!!!!

skip11 - 20 January 2013 06:45 AM

But I do feel the PYL grips much better (less skidding) compared to my rice due to the camber.

I felt the same thing when I changed hybrids!!!!!

I still reckon that the Trice is great on pow, but as an all mountain/condition, the CamRock has the goods!!!!!

I love your carving, skip, it looks great.  If there’s nothing else I achieve in snowboarding, I want to at least be able to carve like that.

@mudhoney: Thanks smile. I’m sure there are still a lot of things I can improve on.

Yeah, your jacket!!!!!

My jacket is gooodd, I like !!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 20 January 2013 07:22 AM

skip already had a decent carve stance, and while he looks a tad more “polished”, I can still notice what the board is doin from my own personal experience!!!!!

If that’s how you feel then fair enough - I can’t say I’ve actually ridden that specific board. I personally would put this down to better stance/technique for a cleaner line, and absorption through the legs for the chatter though.

Skip, your movements during edge change are kind of jerky/sudden. Specifically your heel to toe, it looks like you throw your upper body over the the new edge to help change it. Think more about steering your board back underneath your body and rolling the edge change with the hips.
This ties in with your up unweighted movement - it’s quite fast, so try and slow it down. You want to be always moving up and down though the turn instead of hitting the low and high points as fast as possible.

The jacket makes it hard to see, but I’d also possibly tell you to stack those hips over the toe edge a bit more on the completion of your toe turn. Just think about whether you’ve been breaking at the waist when you hit ice, steeps or hard bumps - you’ll know if you need to or not.

Last thing is, work on making the edge change earlier too, more across the fall line - focusing on the toeside turn more.

Looking pretty solid though, you’re definitely skidding less than the previous video and making some strong movements. How about a different angle for the next video? See if you can get someone sitting at the bottom of the run with a camera that can zoom.

Are you teaching at Whistler this year Skip? Have you got some goals like sitting your next certification level?

SamNZ - 21 January 2013 01:16 AM
Mizu Kuma - 20 January 2013 07:22 AM

If that’s how you feel then fair enough -

Looks like that’s fair enough then!!!!!

skip11 - 20 January 2013 06:19 PM

My jacket is gooodd, I like !!!!!

LOL Ya know I’m only shit stirrin!!!!!

@SamNZ: Thanks for the feedback! I agree with you my flexion and extension needs work. Also regarding the hip thing, sometimes I notice it but at the same time my ankle mobility is relatively bad. I’ve seen some riders really flex their ankle and push the hips forward. I tried just bending my ankle as far as possible while strapped in standing still and also while riding I can’t seem to get as much flex as they do. I will work on your points next time I ride.

I’ll try getting a better angle next time. No I don’t teach because Whistler said they want level 2 instructors. I’m planning to get my level 2 towards the end of the season, as of right now I don’t think I can pass the exam.

skip11 - 20 January 2013 03:40 AM

Just took a short video today of me carving. It’s the slope that goes from top of jersey to top of solar coaster. It’s the only the 2nd run of the day, the first day on the new board, and 6th day of the season so still getting used to it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

You’ve improved heaps, Rico. You’re carving really well. Nice alignment and solid edging. Try taking it to a steeper slope for more of a challenge. Try edging earlier as well. Overall that was really good. Nice work.

@rider: Thanks a lot Jeremy! I’m tryin to get my carving to your level haha. I wish I can ride with you this season.