The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Feedback on my riding

Thanks Jer! Trying hard to push that knee down on toeside turns. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can’t not sure the reason why. I can feel it after riding my knees get a little bit sore if I’m successful at driving that knee down.

Hey skip.

Here’s my thoughts:

It does look like you lean over a little bit on your toe side sometimes, though it’s not too bad! It seems to mainly be at the start on the video - perhaps where the terrain is steeper? You need to focus on the initiating of that turn.
Try to focus on standing up (extending your legs on the vertical plane) just a little bit before you start to initiate the turn, this will release the pressure and allow the board to turn a bit easier. As you’re turning you can then flex your legs back down a bit to absorb any bumps and pressure. (I hope this makes sense, I couldn’t find a video to demonstrate)
As well, keep looking across the hill for a bit longer! Close off that turn and edge along the hill before initiating that hell side turn! Your body is quite open when toe side traversing and initiating heel side turns, so this will help close that off.

Although you said it was a bit bumpy, it looks like there is some chatter on your heel side turn. Think about pulling your toes up to touch your shins, try to feel those muscles in your shins working, and bend those knees a bit more.

You can also make those turns just a bit bigger, this will help stop the chatter, to control your speed this way just carry along sideways on the hill before initiating your next turn.

Skip, you totally are NOT a bad snowboarder by any means. Looking good!
What I see is little movement in your KNEES. I think you are doing a lot of movement in your hips to transfer from edge to edge but you aren not “working” your knees throughout your turns to get more dynamic, or get your center of mass further separated from the board. Sorry I’m short on words at the moment, but I can offer that for now.

I was looking but unfortunately after 15 mins or so, I can’t seem to find a decent video of snowboarding on youtube.

Thanks snowslider!

BIG IMPROVEMENT SKIP!  ollie  Killing it dude.

Like Sam said. Finish those turns off man. Get the nose of your board facing all the way across the hill at the end of your turns.
It makes your turns look so much better.
I know it sounds trivial. I didn’t understand it when people taught me that years ago but it actually does help a few things in your riding.
It’s easy to do turns that only move the board from toes to heels 90 degrees. But making it turn 180 degrees and back again… that’s where it’s at man. Your just going to have to do it for a while and see for yourself. It sounds pointless but it helps with a world of techniques.

But all u need to know is finish your turns. Cause the rest is looking NICE bro.

Oh btw
I should tell you that your toe and heel edge are now looking way more even with inclining and angulating, which is really good!
If you need something else to work on later then think about keeping your body weight over your edge.

If you lean a little bit - you have to bend a little bit - your knees (toe edge) or knees and hips (heel edge) to stay over your edge.
If you lean a lot - you have to bend a lot

If you lean a lot and bend a little your weight will be too far from your edge and you’ll be unstable.
If you lean a bit and bend a lot… the bending part just doesn’t do much.

In that last film clip, I would say you are leaning more than you are bending.
But you are already doing it way better than the first video you put up.

@Sam and Andy: Thanks for the tips guys. I will work on completing the turn more next time =)

here’s a short clip from last week, just doing a few turns from top of jersey to solar. Snow’s a bit too soft to carve. Any feedback?

Whoa Skip, looks like heaps of improvement! You can really see more confidence and stability in your riding.

I hope you’re already analysing the videos yourself as it’s a really good exercise for practicing and making sure you understand the cause and effect of everything. That way when others also give you the same feedback you know you’re on the right track!

You said one of the things you received feedback from in your exam was about the vertical movements, and they are looking better! I can see better movement on your heel to toe turns, but there’s still not a lot on your heelside turns. Keep it in mind when you go freeriding and soon it will become habit.

The final toeside carve you did was pretty nice to start with, and then you seem to have caught an edge. The angle of the filming isn’t great at that point and doesn’t really allow us to see where your weight is during that part of the turn. But it seems as if your weight is on your backfoot and you’re leaning a bit much. Try to use a bit more knees and toes angulation to get the board edge up and less leaning into the turn.

But all round looking good Skip, cool to see you’re still working on improvement but make sure you enjoy that end of the season Hero snow!

Thanks SamNZ. Yeah the still not a lot of flexion and extension. I’ll try getting lower on the heelside more next time and use more inclination on heelside but it’s hard with not enough speed.

Good stuff, Rico! It’s awesome how much you’ve improved this season. Give yourself a pat on the back!

Looks like you’re initiating turns earlier as well, which is a good thing. Here’s something to work on: when you’re carving, try to initiate the new turn even earlier in the turn. Set that new edge as early as possible and drive it hard through the turn. It’s super fun to get on the new edge early and sink deep into the turn. Just something to play around with. smile

Thanks Jeremy! Will try.

Just took a short video today of me carving. It’s the slope that goes from top of jersey to top of solar coaster. It’s the only the 2nd run of the day, the first day on the new board, and 6th day of the season so still getting used to it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

You can tell right away that the PYL’s Camber is wayyy better to carve with on hardpack, than the T-Rice!!!!!

* And powder will be no different I reckon!!!!!

Ohhh, and ya turns look smooth to me!!!!!  shaka