The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Trick Tips With Mitch Faber

hi ben quinn.

the problem your having is your flicking to hard and forward with your front foot.
which is kicking the board away from you.

you have to control your foot flick a little towards the nose but mostly of the edge just in the pocket near the bolts.
this will stop it from shooting out in front.
just slow down your flick.

good luck

Okai ill keep that in mind smile thanks heaps!

Hey Mitch
I’m just starting out in skateboarding and I like riding mini ramps the best. (unfortunately there’s only one that I know of on the central coast at slam factory)
I’ve only had a couple of days on the mini in between snow seasons, so it’s probably just lack of practise. But do you have any other tips for the rock to fakie?
I can 50-50 a bit and managed 1 or 2 rock and rolls but I can never seem to get rock to fakie.
Either my wheels get caught on the coping or when I come back into the ramp after rocking I’m off balance and the board flies out behind me.
Any tips to help that?

hi andy.

start with watching my trick tip tutorial on rock to fakie.
and then when your finished watching it press replay and than replay.

okay so now you have the seed planted in your head no just apply what you learned from the video.
take it slow first start on quaters.
its all about weight control when to apply and when to take of weight.

good luck

Cool, I’ll give it a try. I had a short roll today (before I got rained out)
I didn’t get it the rock to fakie, but one more skate and I might pull it off.
It looks so easy lol, I think I’m just not committing to it.

Hey, I’m having trouble landing my heelflips.
I always land them with my back foot and I’m infront of the board sort of diagonally to the right right. (im goofy)

and sometimes when I flick, the top of the my ankle (a bit near where the tongue of the shoe is) its getting scraped by the griptape and I have no clue why. It never used to do that when I heelflipped and it bloody hurts! :(

BKM - 01 November 2011 03:39 AM

Hey, I’m having trouble landing my heelflips.
I always land them with my back foot and I’m infront of the board sort of diagonally to the right right. (im goofy)

and sometimes when I flick, the top of the my ankle (a bit near where the tongue of the shoe is) its getting scraped by the griptape and I have no clue why. It never used to do that when I heelflipped and it bloody hurts! :(

hi mate.
the trick to heel flips are you got to shoot your heel down and out.
down to get the board flipping fast and out to give it some pop and style.

start small and work your way up bit by bit.
dont expect them to just work for you it takes time.

good luck.

mitch

Cheers I’ll give that a try smile

Hey guys!
Heelflips are known to shred up your shoes a lot more then kickflips due to the whole shoe being used and not just the toe area.
If you watch some videos and some “how to” tutorials on YouTube you’ll soon see exactly how the front foot should move,
Sounds like you need to also concentrate on staying above the board, try jumping in the direction the board comes out smile

hi this may sound a bit stupid but i can’t rock to fakie
i grew up around street skating and when our town got a skate park
its only quarter it has is stupidly small and steep with no coping and i seem to always fall off or bail any help
also i can land kickflips and shuvs but can’t get a treflip correctly T^T
and i don’t know what i’m doing wrong with my heelflips the board won’t flip and i end up mastercarding myself =.=
Thx

Welcome to Boardworld hcmpro smile

https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/rock-to-fakie-trick-tip/
Rock to Fakie video

But I’ll try explain as best as I can.
For the rock to fakies try go at a decent speed and lift the nose just before you get to the coping. Start to lean forward when your front truck is over the coping. Now when your rocking back the ramp you’ll be rolling fakie. Start to lean back and lift the nose a bit to get it over the coping. When your board is over the coping and your rolling down, do not lean forward, that will cause you to slip out. Instead, try to center your weight and lean a bit to the opposite direction if you need to.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/360-flip-tre-flip/
Tre Flip video

Not really sure about treflips but try get a better scoop and lightly give the board a flick with your front foot to get the rotation, also try to stay above the board.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/skateboarding/content/category/heelflip-trick-tip/
Heelflip video

I’m not very good with heelflips but again I’ll try to explain what I do to get the spin. smile

I tend to put my foot just above halfway of the deck with the ball of my foot near the edge. I pop like a normal ollie and I slide up the board and out in the same place where you would for a kickflip (but opposite of course) make sure you flick it out not up otherwise you will creditcard/mastercard yourself LOL

Hope the helped in some form smile

hcmpro - 07 December 2011 09:47 PM

hi this may sound a bit stupid but i can’t rock to fakie
i grew up around street skating and when our town got a skate park
its only quarter it has is stupidly small and steep with no coping and i seem to always fall off or bail any help
also i can land kickflips and shuvs but can’t get a treflip correctly T^T
and i don’t know what i’m doing wrong with my heelflips the board won’t flip and i end up mastercarding myself =.=
Thx

hi dude nothing is stupid when learning to skate.
there is a million tricks and tips that will help you out throughout your skating.
its sometimes trial and error helps alot.
but the main thing with skateboarding is that its not easy and you must be 100% committed to working hard to master a trick.
also take one trick at a time start with basics work your way up.

just keep working at it and keep watching the trick tips..
i could send you a massive email explaining every position your feet should be and how much force and kick you need.
but skating is about feeling and adjusting things till they work for you.
just keep at it !!!! dont give up.
ive been skating now for 13 years and im still learning !
good luck.
mitch faber

Mitch nailed it!! Haha I still struggle with tranny tricks!!

Thx Dude for the help ^_^

Hey Mitch,
your an amazing teacher, but I still have problems with the spinning of my board! I can never get enough spin, and the board always flies out in front of me! Help!!
Cheers in advance