The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rookie / intermediate from Denmark asking about gear

Hey fellas, my name is Mathias Østergaard, 23, and I’m from Denmark. Been skiing in Norway on holidays with the family since I can remember, but I changed to snowboard because it just feels too good floating down the mountain on a board compared to skiis.

Made the switch to snowboard approx. 4 years ago, but I’ve only been able to snowboard one week a year due to my ongoing education as an officer in the airforce.

I’ve decided to invest in some proper gear so I don’t have to rent anymore.

I haven’t got any tricks I can do, but I’m trying to learn, so I’ve bought gear I thought would be good for exactly that: Training tricks, would be so cool to land 360’s, backflips etc..

Current gear, only the stuff that matters:

CAPITA Horrorscope FK 2012 (Good Wood award)

Burton Custom bindings

Burton Moto boots

Here’s a pic:

Would you guys say, that my gear suits my aim properly? At least that’s what I’ve read it was, but I’d appreciate some comments - AND: Perhaps some pointers or links to videos that’ll get me started on tricks? Been on youtube, of course, watching all sortsof videos and I can’t wait for January, 2013 to go test my equipment, and myself wink

P.s.

I must’ve watched Travis Rice/Brain Farm’s: “The Art of Flight” and “That’s It, That’s All” at least 10 times..

Affectionately,
Mathias Østergaard

Casual rider, BIG fan of the sport.

Hey Mathias, welcome to Boardworld!

I can’t comment on your gear, but in terms of video, I would strongly recommend the Snowboard Addiction freestyle videos.  These are like training videos and will really help you step up your freestyle.

Welcome a board Mat!!!!!

I reckon that you’ve done well in the choice of gear!!!!! If ya lookin at hittin the parks, I’d suggest a helmet though!!!!!

As for trick tips, do yaself a favour and get the Snowboard Addiction DVD set!!!!! >>>>> http://www.snowboardaddiction.com/

Boardworld Members get a discount, so ya laughin!!!!!

shaka

Mudhoney - 23 November 2012 10:32 AM

Hey Mathias, welcome to Boardworld!

I can’t comment on your gear, but in terms of video, I would strongly recommend the Snowboard Addiction freestyle videos.  These are like training videos and will really help you step up your freestyle.

Alright, thanks! I’ll head to their website then. :D

Mizu Kuma - 23 November 2012 10:36 AM

Welcome a board Mat!!!!!

I reckon that you’ve done well in the choice of gear!!!!! If ya lookin at hittin the parks, I’d suggest a helmet though!!!!!

As for trick tips, do yaself a favour and get the Snowboard Addiction DVD set!!!!! >>>>> http://www.snowboardaddiction.com/

Boardworld Members get a discount, so ya laughin!!!!!

shaka

Sure thing man, already got a helmet and an Airschock Back protector wink

I’ll definetly check out that site and start watching those to get ready!

Hej Mathias!

Welcome to Boardworld!  I’m just going to agree with the others that you should buy the snowboard addiction videos! The gear you bought looks like it should suit you well, I think!

Where in Norway are you going to be riding in January?

Just looking at that photo, it looks like you might have both your bindings set up with positive angles.  If you’re going to get into freestyle, you probably want to have a “duckfoot” stance; +ve on the front, -ve on the back.  I rode both +ve for years and haven’t found it too difficult to adjust to duckfoot.

Have a look here.

Another Snowboard Addiction advocate here. Sadly, I haven’t bought the videos yet. I just watched this free teaser on their YouTube channel to learn 3’s and 5’s. I’m definitely going to buy them soon though…

Mudhoney - 24 November 2012 11:45 PM

Just looking at that photo, it looks like you might have both your bindings set up with positive angles.  If you’re going to get into freestyle, you probably want to have a “duckfoot” stance; +ve on the front, -ve on the back.  I rode both +ve for years and haven’t found it too difficult to adjust to duckfoot.

Have a look here.

Actually, I’ve got a +12 degree angle on the front binding and a -3 on the rear binding, but I’ve been strapped in at home jump popping off the floor on a carpet and I think you might be right, that I need a stance resembling a “duckfoot stance”. Thanks for pointing it out tho! Gonna go set it up later today shaka

cords - 24 November 2012 11:11 PM

Hej Mathias!

Welcome to Boardworld!  I’m just going to agree with the others that you should buy the snowboard addiction videos! The gear you bought looks like it should suit you well, I think!

Where in Norway are you going to be riding in January?

Great, thanks.

Well, atm I’ll be riding 8 days in Avioraz, France in january and then I’ll ride approx. 7 days in Trysil/Hemsedal in february, but that vacation is still in the making. And I might change it up so week 7’s going to be in Austria or Italy.

I am currently about to have some extra money coming my way and therefore, I might have an opportunity to go boarding in week 2 aswell, and that’ll probably be in norway (hemsedal/trysil).

What for? Anything I need to know?

thoop - 25 November 2012 02:00 AM

Another Snowboard Addiction advocate here. Sadly, I haven’t bought the videos yet. I just watched this free teaser on their YouTube channel to learn 3’s and 5’s. I’m definitely going to buy them soon though…

Yea I watched that vid aswell, but I bought the entire Freestyle download set from SA, and I’m going to transfer them to my iPhone so I can watch the vids whenever I’m on the run or taking a train !

I am re-he-heeeeally looking forward to start taking my snowboarding to the next level, gonna be such a blast. That feeling of catching air… If I could live off snowboarding or snowboarding related stuff, I’d do it in a heartbeat. But who wouldn’t?  shaka

MOEZ - 25 November 2012 12:59 PM

Well, atm I’ll be riding 8 days in Avioraz, France in january and then I’ll ride approx. 7 days in Trysil/Hemsedal in february, but that vacation is still in the making. And I might change it up so week 7’s going to be in Austria or Italy.

I am currently about to have some extra money coming my way and therefore, I might have an opportunity to go boarding in week 2 aswell, and that’ll probably be in norway (hemsedal/trysil).

What for? Anything I need to know?

No, not really. I was just interested. I’m going to be spending the season just over the border from Trysil in Sälen, Sweden. Hoping to get to ride Trysil a little bit as well.

Hey MOEZ, welcome to Boardworld. cool smile

If you purchase anything from http://www.SnowboardAddiction.com - make sure you use the discount code boardworld for a 10% discount on their products.

Yeah, I PM’d him about that, but I guess he was way too amped to get them as he had already gone ahead and got the download!!!!!  LOL

It’s not a large amount of money considering the already low cost of the product.  Mat could always email Nev, who was helpful on the one occasion I needed to contact him.

Mudhoney - 26 November 2012 02:19 AM

It’s not a large amount of money considering the already low cost of the product.  Mat could always email Nev, who was helpful on the one occasion I needed to contact him.

Yeah, I told him the same thing, cause that’s exactly what I did too!!!!!

Nev’s a Champion!!!!!

To the previous posts regarding the SA and the discount - As Mizu Kuma said, I just went straight ahead and bought them. Already watched the first videos, and this is certainly going to be helpful. Already love the footage.

The 10% discount, which I didn’t get because I wanted it straight away, is something I’ll now consider a “tip” for Nev and SA.com. Cheap, helpful videos that I’m more than happy to pay the full price for!

shaka

//Mat

Good shit, MOEZ!!!!!  cool grin