The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

My First Board

So I have Snowboarded 2 times for around a week each and I have always rented a snowboard and I feel it is time to grab my own Snowboard.

I have been reading a lot and looking around in what regards snowboards and I have found one in particular that I think it suits me. First of all I am around 194cm tall and 105kg, and my boot size is 47cm / 14.

In this early stage I am more focused on freeriding( just normal pistes ) and maybe trying to pull my first tricks and jumps in the snowpark. The board I think it suits my preferences is the ROSSIGNOL CIRCUIT AMPTEK 166 WIDE with 80% rocker and 20% camber, and 266mm waist.

THis board is said to already have a setback so I was also wondering, in case I purchase it should I just place my bindings in the middle or go for one inch back on the back foot ?

Accordding to angles I was thinking maybe 15/18 on the front foot( I am goofy btw) and -6 in the back to start with.

Regarding bidings in itself I am still not certain on which to buy or to look at so some ideas would be appreciated.

I tend to snowboard in March so what gear (especially jacket) should I go for in terms I have enough maneuverability, dont feel to heavy and too hot

As for boots I also have no big idea atm on what to go for. I am looking mainly for something not that expensive.

All help and tips is welcome and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Hipstery,

Welcome to BW!

I’m sure others will reply, but have a browse around this forum as there are some other threads along similar lines that may give you some ideas.

For boots, it is essential to get something that fits you well above all other considerations.  After that, consider the stiffness - more stiff = better response for carving etc, softer = more suited to park riding for tweaks etc.  Lace-up or dual-zone speed-lacing systems are good.

Once the boots are sorted, get a decent binding that will match the style of riding you’re doing and that fits your boot (and board) well.  I have used both Flux and Burton bindings and they have both been excellent.

Everyone will have an opinion on boards.  It sounds like you will need a wide, and probably don’t need a beginner board.  Maybe something with a mid-flex and hybrid camber profile.

Jackets - I think a good waterproof shell offers the most versatility as you can just layer up or down underneath to suit any conditions.  If you don’t need as much waterproofness or warmth, you could consider something like a soft-shell or hoodie-style
tech jacket.

stance - the angles you suggest sound fine.  People around here are likely to encourage you to vary them up and see what works best for you.

setback - my opinion would be to use the reference stance for your board initially, then vary it up to suit.  If you’re mainly going to be carving and freeriding, having some setback might be good.  For all round fun, a centred stance might suit better.

Don’t forget to check out the board set-up tips in the Snow section of Boardworld!

Welcome to Boardworld, Hipstery. cool smile

As Mudhoney stated, boots are most important to get right. Don’t set a budget and don’t set yourself on any particular brand. Speak to an experienced boot fitter and try on as many boots as possible. I would buy boots before anything else.

Where will you be riding mainly? I’m guessing you live overseas?

Here are some threads worth reading:

Camber profiles - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/4119/

Stance and setup - https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2597/

Have a read of the camber profiles article and let us who which profile(s) appeal to you.

Yes Basic

/Thread

wink

Sadly, you’ll be told the Yes basic a lot. YES are the new Burton.

I’m a fan of where Rossi is heading, so I think the board you’ve selected is a good choice. There will be “reference” points on the board for setting bindings. This is basically the matching bolts that correspond from the back foot to the front foot. So try placing your bindings in these holes and if you need to you can widen your stance from there - as it’s a directional board, just keep in mind you’ll want the nose longer than the tail and everything will be fine.

Before you start taking advice on which boot brand, go try some on. Read the boot fitting guide. If you’re having trouble after that, then let us know and we can recommend brands that are better for the type of problems you may be facing (wide toe box etc).

There’s no need to be sad?????

So Far thanks a lot for all the responses.

Regarding rider26 yes I live overseas in Portugal and I mainly go snoboarding in Andorra/Spain. I have read those tutorials before and they were very good letting me choose my board.

The main problem about boots and bidings and all that is that there are not a lot of stores in my country regarding snowboard and the ones that exist are very narrowed and only sell like one brand. So fitting boots for me is a bit tricky. I have to order everything from other country´s

that post was tongue in cheek.

Jus sayin

Very cool. I loved travelling through Portugal. Where do you live exactly?

Honestly, even if the stores have don’t much of a selection, try on as many boots as possible. What brands do they carry? It’s a tricky situation for you. You just have to be very careful and take your time buying boots, because if they don’t fit your specific foot shape, you will have problems. Are there more stores where you go snowboarding in Spain?

I actually live near Lisbon in Setúbal

The store only has one boot from Flow- Vega boa- and as you can see is very hard to only have one optiob lol. WHere I normally go snowboard there are some stores but prices are higher, and I would prefer to have my setup done before going there then buying stuff there

I understand, it’s not an easy situation. But different boots fit different types of foot shapes. Just beware that you will be taking a risk if you purchase online without trying on the boots. You might get lucky but my best guess is they won’t for you correctly.

If you can try on boots where you go snowboarding, it’s worth paying a bit more and getting boots that will work for you and won’t need replacing.

^^ Agreed

^^ Double Agreed!!!!!

get everything from a european online store like bluetomatoe or some such BUT definitely try boots on and buy them in person id say. Get a cheap arse flight with ryan air or germanwings to germany and get a pair if you can afford it smile

I am also sad

Well cheer up then mate!!!!!