The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

lightweight bindings

what are a good pair of really light (as in weight) bindings? Anyone know what the lightest bindings on the market are?

how much do they weigh kuma?

Union Contact Pro and Force SL are pretty light. I don’t know for sure, but I want to say switchback bindings will be light - I plan to check them out when I get to the states this season.

These will be my next bindings:

http://www.burton.com/mens-diode-est-snowboard-binding/275218,default,pd.html

There’s also a lot of marketing BS out there. This is a thread where I weigh Burton ‘premium, lightweight’ bindings:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2837/

cheaper end of the scale
union f-lite

Thanks ill have to look into all of these for sure. Trying to decrease the weight of my setup, next up will be the boots I think.

This might be a dangerous question here.

But, why do you rep Flux so hard Mizu? Are they really that good?

Not sure if posting a binding model that is lightweight, in response to a question about quality lightweight bindings, is really “repping hard”?????

I’ll always recommend a brand that I have used, and found to be of quality!!!!!

I’m sure you’d do the same?????

I have no vested interest in recommending them, other than sharing a good product, just as I would a good beer or fun place to go!!!!! I don’t listen to others unfounded negativity in order to make a judgement, I’d rather try it for myself!!!!! Ya only have to see that in my choice to return to Niseko in feb, or why I went to Whistler instead of where the “seasoned traveller” will be going to in order to be hip!!!!!

I do know that there’s other lightweight bindings out there such as Ride’s Contrabands, but since I’ve never owned a pair I don’t think it’s right for me to either recommend them, or by the same token its not my place to write them off either!!!!!

Some people choose to do so, but I’d like to think that I’m better than that!!!!!

I adopted this very same principle in my business, and it worked!!!!! Talk shit and you’ll soon get found out!!!!!

If I had a Snow Store, FLUX would be a brand on my shelf, and in the event that I somehow couldn’t sell it due to competition etc, I wouldn’t put shit on the product because I know it works and people would quickly understand that my negative mindset isn’t the type of assistance that they could trust!!!!!

So in short, I’ve got no qualms about recommending FLUX to anyone as a top rate binding!!!!!

Also, I constantly hear negative things such as they look plastic, they’re owned by Japanese, they have stupid names etc etc!!!!! Are these good arguments in regards to their quality or functionality????? I’ll be damned if I’ll let someone be swayed into avoiding something on grounds such as that!!!!!

They also get heavily involved in grass roots snowboarding, have been in the industry for 20 years, introduced heaps of cool tech, and are even puttin dollars into this very website!!!!!

Ask other FLUX owners their opinion!!!!!

Try them for yaself and see?????

* You said it would be dangerous!!!!! Now go and stop the blood from comin out of ya ears!!!!! LOL

To be honest I can’t even remember the brand of bindings I have atm, Id have to go and look. So for me I need to ask for help because I just don’t really pay much attention to boards/bindings/boots besides how the ones I am riding at the time feel.  So in you guys I trust! haha

Sorry for the rant mate!!!!!

I feel more lightweight after it though!!!!!

AJ2theC - 24 November 2012 08:54 PM

These will be my next bindings:

http://www.burton.com/mens-diode-est-snowboard-binding/275218,default,pd.html

There’s also a lot of marketing BS out there. This is a thread where I weigh Burton ‘premium, lightweight’ bindings:

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/2837/

Yep. I was going to suggest the Burton Diodes.

The only thing stopping me from buying these bindings is the lack of a forward lean adjustment dial or block. Forward lean has to be adjusted through the highback rotation side screws - pain in the ass and hard to get right. That said, it’s been taken out to save weight and other true lightweight bindings like the Flux DMCC Light use the same system.

Yeah, I think that if ya the type that leaves their binding adjustments the same all day, then they would be a good choice!!!!!

With the Diodes and DMCC’s losin hat traditional forward lean adjustment, it transfers the pressure point from one small point to across the whole area where the highback meets the heel cup beam, and I reckon that will give better response, and less flex/give in the areas that normally don’t make contact?????

So a negative then becomes somewhat of a positive?????

You can see what I’m talkin about in this vid of the DMCC Light!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 26 November 2012 03:47 AM

Yeah, I think that if ya the type that leaves their binding adjustments the same all day, then they would be a good choice!!!!!

With the Diodes and DMCC’s losin hat traditional forward lean adjustment, it transfers the pressure point from one small point to across the whole area where the highback meets the heel cup beam, and I reckon that will give better response, and less flex/give in the areas that normally don’t make contact?????

So a negative then becomes somewhat of a positive?????

I definitely see your point. I don’t change my forward lean often at all. I guess it’s just the initial hassle of trying 1000 times to get it right to begin with. But yeah, there are positives to it.

Burton’s “Living Hinge” allows you to adjust forward lean independently of the highback rotation. It also spreads the force equally along the length of the contact, just like the Diode or DMCC Lights. I really like this system. I understand it’s a lot harder with the Diodes as the highbacks are carbon composite.

I can’t say I’m 100% sure on this, but FLUX usually have “steps” in their adjustments, so it should be pretty straight forward to change!!!!!

You can see what I mean in the image of the video, where the highback rotation has only 3 positions!!!!!