The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

another snowboard size question…

Hello,

I am just starting to get into boarding. I have only boared once before which was last year at Falls Creek in VIC. I hired gear as I was only there for a couple of days but I am going to Queenstown NZ for a week in August and wanted to by some gear.

I was a bit impatient and purchased a board before doing good research… or measuring a board next to me hmmm
I spoke to one guy in a local shop in Melbourne and he recommended a 158cm wide board. I ended up getting a Burton Bullet 157 seen here: LINK

Now the problem is I think it might be too short. I’m about 185cm and 90-95kg (But am working on losing some weight). The board only comes up to my neck, between my collar bone and my adams apple. From the Burton website I really should have gone the 164cm for my weight.

As I’m only a beginner I’ll mostly be on groomed runs and playing around in amongst some trees/small jumps with some mates.
I’m not really interested in speed or big jumps (plus need to be able to ride properly first).

So will this board suit me as I might be able to throw it around a bit easier? Or should I really look at getting a bigger board?

Hey Bronsay, welcome to the Boardworld Community! smile

What sized boots do you wear? Where do you plan on riding mainly? Australia, overseas, or both?

Firstly, don’t worry too much about where the board comes up to in regards to your height. The most important factor is your weight; the board has no idea how tall you are, just how much force you exert, which is determined by your weight.

Every snowboarder can comfortably ride a range of board sizes. Boards on the smaller end of the scale will have advantages, i.e. more maneuverable, easier to spin, easier to press, easier to jib, and they are generally more fun to play around on - although they are less stable at speeds, not as good for carving, and don’t float very well in powder (although other factors effect that too). Boards on the larger end of the scale are more stable, carve better, and float better in powder - although they aren’t as maneuverable or as fun to jib around on.

The advice I always give people looking to buy one board, especially those who are just starting out and exploring their style, is to buy something which is going to be versatile. You want a board which can ride well in a variety of conditions so you can have fun regardless of what type of riding you decide to do on the day. Buy a versatile board in regards to shape and flex, but most importantly a versatile size. If you buy a board which can comfortably ride everything from park to deep powder, then you have a board which will last for a long time while you explore different terrain, different conditions, and the different aspects of snowboarding.

In my opinion, yes your snowboard is certainly on the short size for your weight. As mentioned this will have clear advantages and disadvantages. You have to ask yourself what type of riding you think you will doing more of? If you want to get into the park and really progress in regards to freestyle, then your board choice should be fine. However it’s not ideal for freeriding (riding the mountain, speeds, carving, powder etc…).

If you can get back to me with further information about your intentions, we will be able to help you better. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Also please have a read of these two articles:

Snowboard Characteristics

Snowboard Selection

Hi rider26, thanks for the welcome. I’ve already checked out both of those links wink

My boot size is 11.5. I’ll mostly be riding in Australia, specifically Victoria. I am going to Queenstown for a week in August but haven’t thought about any more overseas travel.
I’m a person that would rather spend as much time on a run as possible rather than seeing how fast I can get to the bottom. The main thing this board will hold me back on is carving when I feel a little lazy and if… when I come across some powder.

If you need any more info please let me know.

Yeah it’s not the best board or size for carving. The board is really soft (flex rating of 2) and your weight:board size is going to make that even more noticeable.

I’m going to give you honest advice…

If you can sell the board and buy something more suitable, do it. If the board was bigger, ok. If the board was stiffer, maybe ok. But you’re combining a really soft and short board, and while it *can* be done, you would be much better off on a more suitable board. I’m sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. Worst case scenario, keep the board as a jib/park board for when your riding progresses to that level.

If you need any further advice please let me know. I hope it all works out well for you.

It’s not ideal but as a learner, you will probably find it easier to learn on. However, once you start going at speeds than it will probably wobble and make it harder for you to become good.

I wouldn’t go over a 30+ foot jump on it or down double blue or higher runs but it should be fine for green runs and a bit of a play off rock drops, rollers and boxes.

I was pretty much expecting that…

It would be easier to keep this board but if its really not suitable then I’m happy to look at getting another board. After talking to my mates I don’t think I’ll be doing much carving.

Is there anything that you would recommend? Do you know if rockers are ok for beginners - like a Lib-Tech Skate Bannana 156W?

Same thing with the Skate Banana - it’s short, soft, and has reverse camber. If you are getting the Skate Banana 156, you might as well keep the board you already have.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to how your friends think you should ride. You have to develop your own style and work out what you love about snowboarding. Even my best riding buddies, we all have different style, we all excel in different areas. Who knows, you might love carving (I know I do). You should be on a board that can allow you to explore the different aspects of snowboarding if you so wish. Versatility is a good thing at this point in time.

Rocker makes turning easier but makes the ride less stable. In my opinion, beginners should avoid super short boards or short boards with significant rocker. Reason being is the board is much easier to turn and throw around; it can develop bad habits in your technique. You should be on a board that encourages you to turn with good technique. Soft is good, because it makes turn initiation easier/smoother.

Do you have a budget you are trying to work with? Let me know and I can suggest some boards.

At least the Skate Banana 156w was suited to my weight haha, but I see what you’re saying.

I’d want to stay under $1000… the cheaper the better but I still want a decent board.

In the under $1000 category, I would look at something *like* the Burton Custom (wide), Burton Deuce (wide), Ride Antic (wide), Nitro Team Gullwing (wide), Signal OG (wide). There are many other boards like this on the market too. I would suggest something around the 160-162 mark as a versatile size for your weight.  I suggest these boards for two reasons: they are very versatile in what they can do, and they are performance boards which are fine to learn on but will also allow you to progress for a long time to come. There are boards on the market that are cheaper and easier to learn on, i.e. Burton Clash. But eventually your will out-progress your board and probably want to upgrade.

If you are riding with your mates and they suggested a Skatebanana, I would just keep what you got and give it a go. Because it is wide, it will be stiffer then the normal version and because you are a beginner, it will be easier to initiate turns etc. As Rider said, it can lead to bad habits… but I’d prefer to be riding with bad habits then not riding at all. My only rental board I rode was a 160ish and it was horrible. Then I rode a 154-155 (which is short for my weight) and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

Just a quick thought, if you think that you’re going to be snowboarding for a while and getting up to a resonable standard then the above advice about giving it a good wax and sticking it in a cupboard and buying a more suitable all round board might be a good idea.  The advantage of this is that you don’t get the feeling that you’ve wasted any money, as you’ll shift that hover that you never quite got round to fixing and the N64 and you’ll discover a good park and jib board, perfect.  In the meantime you can work on getting really good technically on a board that is going to help you achieve that goal.

From my personal experience and that of my friends, snowboards aren’t for life, your riding style changes, your build and snowboards break,  If i get a full season out of mine, thats ok, if i get two then thats dope.  So just see the board you bought as a early purchase of a board you prolly would of bought in the future anyways.

Hope that all made sense.

I will vote against all the other comments in this thread. You are a beginner and you have bought a beginner board. The bullet has ‘cruise control’ which makes it less likely for you to catch an edge and hurt yourself. This is a good thing imo. Yes, you’re over the weight range, but for a beginner that’s fine as the board will be easier to handle.  Don’t worry about it not being good for hitting 30 footers, since you won’t be doing that for a while.
I think you should learn on it, trash it, and then sell it. Then when you’ve got enough skills to appreciate a better board (not that I think it’s not the best board for you right now), that’s when you drop the coin on something higher end.

I will vote against all the other comments in this thread. You are a beginner and you have bought a beginner board. The bullet has ‘cruise control’ which makes it less likely for you to catch an edge and hurt yourself. This is a good thing imo.

That’s correct. Cruise control is great for beginners. The board choice is a good one, but the sizing is completely off. Don’t forget, the Bullet is a super soft board. Combine the soft flex and very small size (which it is for his weight), and I think it’s going to cause issues. His weight is going to flex the crap out of that board, and I feel it’s going to be all over the place.

Yes, you’re over the weight range, but for a beginner that’s fine as the board will be easier to handle.

You have to draw the line somewhere. No doubt he *could* ride the board, but it’s far from ideal. Whether or not he decides to sell it, keep it, ride it… that’s his choice. But in my honest opinion, he would be much better off on a different board (forget high end or not, he needs to be on something bigger).