The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Feedback on my riding…

so I took my camera out on the weekend.. and by the looks of it my phone takes better video confused

can see i’m still counter rotating a bit but nowhere near as much as before, defintely feel a lot more solid on the board now at speed compared to before. Just have to keep working on it.

Hey Mike,

Just re-read your thread. Never saw that last vid. You looked really solid IMO, going super quick too!

Will be awesome and real easy for us to get footage of each other riding, which we can then post on boardworld too. Hopefully we’ll see some good progression as a result.

Also saw that ‘khyber lap’ vid for the first time. That looks wicked!

Picked up my season pass yesterday smile

I’m not sure how I missed that video too, but I just watched it. You’re doing really well. There is a noticeable improvement since the first video. Well done on using the feedback to improve your riding.

In other news, I just got into Whistler a couple of hours ago. I’m looking forward to catching up with both of you. smile

P.s. Stay tuned for my Whistler 2010/11 thread.

Yeah it will be awesome catching up and going for a ride! Really looking forward to it. Mike arrives in a week.

BTW are there other BW members also in Whistler this season??

RE the whole counter rotation thing and trying to keep your shoulders in line with the board (i.e. the balanced body position), I’ve noticed watching some snowboard vids that even the pro’s seem to counter rotate, swing the arms around, and open up their shoulders and chest. I was wondering why this might be??? I guess a lot of it has to do with what type of terrain/conditions you ride in. Like maybe powder, where a more back heavy body position would be necessary. For an example of what I’m talking about (with counter rotation and a really open upper body) look at Jeremy Jones’s part in Alaska in ‘That’s It That’s All’. I guess it’s kinda hard to keep the correct body position when you’re going down something that steep!! Curious what the instructors think of all that. Do you get what I’m saying?

Oh and looking forward to your thread Jeremy.

Members I know of: shaner, Whistler_will, Just Giver, Shredlife, L.B., and I’m sure a few more I can’t think of.

Yeah it really depends on they type of riding and also the skill level of the rider. If you’re asking for instruction on improving the performance of your turning and carving, then limiting counter-rotation is very important.

When you ride rails, counter-rotation actually needs to come into play. Think about the frontside boardslide; the body position is fully counter-rotated.

Pros have some serious skills going on. They have trained themselves to be able to ride with a counter-rotated body position in certain situations (landing spins in powder etc.). However I’m sure if you asked any of them to carve clean, hard turns, you will find they are aligned and balanced over their snowboard.

You need to remember what you’re trying to learn; if it’s turning performance, edging, carving etc, then it’s important to concentrate on your stance (which includes minimising counter-rotation).

Cool, thanks for the response.

Whoops I forgot about rails when I was writing that. Yeah didn’t mean it to sound like I was saying it was weird they were counter rotating in rails, which like you point out is necessary for a boardslide etc.