The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Boarder/Snowboard cross

Poll: like it?
Total Votes: 16
yes
no
SamNZ - 06 November 2012 07:09 AM

Snowboard cross is pretty cool. Not as cool as those tricks they do in the park at freeride competitions though!

LOL
The bait has been set…

Gamblor - 07 November 2012 02:33 AM

not boardercross, but I’m mulling the idea of entering the big banked slalom comp they have here. Winner gets an entry into the mt. baker banked slalom. need to learn how to carve first though….

Yes they have the same a at Hotham every year, I know the guy who went to Mt Baker last season. did pretty well too.

@AJ
BoarderX is so much fun! I’ve ridden a Kessler on hard boots before it was pretty difficult. Did a run on some easy greens then went to some steeper blues. A run called FIS at Silver Star to be exact, scared the poop outta me.

Rode a BoarderX specific Oxess with soft boots this year and it was easier but still hard to carve on anything steeper than a wide open green. My mate is selling his Oxess. If you’re interested PM me. I think it’s a 160 with either a 10m or 12m radius. Ridden about 10 times.

AJ2theC - 06 November 2012 03:55 AM
Andy Aitken - 06 November 2012 03:29 AM

Is that you competing AJ? Where was this?

That was at Perisher in August. The big event is at Hotham. Anyone can enter, just gotta be a member of FIS.

http://www.skiandsnowboard.org.au/customdata/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_main&ItemID=12044&OrgID=2083

Hotham run an amateur event on the same weekend, anyone can enter without being a FIS member. Azz did it a few years ago. If anyone is keen, check out the Snowracer insurance (free) offered by SSA, as it gives you some coverage for any SSA sanctioned races.

SBX is a great sport, the boys have been involved pretty heavily over the years and kids are pretty lucky to get coaching from Aussie Coach Ben Wordsworth and also from our No1 rider Chumpy Pullin. (both top blokes).
In our family it is THE favourite sport. It looks like those guys just hoot on down the coarse but the tactical play is a really important. Chumpy has such a good start, but often gets knocked out in the lower part of the course.

If anyone wants to have a go, get up to Hotham for it. Great spectator event too. Usually about 2nd weekend in August, with Banked Slalom the next weekend….

Banked Slalom of course has it’s own history (Famous Mt Baker) and this is something else that anyone on a snowboard at Hotham can enter. (Usually you get a cool Tshirt for the price of entry too)

Hotham runs it down Gun Barrel, and while there is usually some contention about the way the course is set, (by skiers, race club, events etc etc) it’s a good event with great prizes (eg trip to the States, Mt Baker, or similar). It must be good, it brings people from all over the place and our top racers, present and past show up for it. there have been occasions where skiers get a run, but usually this event is reserved for snowboard. (That’s a big thing for Hotham events….)

Gotta love events where everyone gets a go, no matter who you are of what your experience is, if you get down there, you’re a winner.

Tambo, that’s ur biggest post yet I think haha smile

Tambo - 07 November 2012 08:11 PM

If anyone wants to have a go, get up to Hotham for it. Great spectator event too. Usually about 2nd weekend in August, with Banked Slalom the next weekend….

Sounds like the perfect weekend for the Mexican shred!

And K2 - WORD!

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 07 November 2012 09:55 PM

Tambo, that’s ur biggest post yet I think haha smile

tongue rolleye
I have to bite my tongue most of the time…..

boardercross, it’s alright….we only really watch it for the crashes and let’s face it it’s always more fun watching skiers crash.