The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Switch Trick Names

This is a guide to naming all things switch.

*EDIT

After much talking back and forth the most popular (and seems to be the most accepted in snowboarding videos) way to name switch trick is to do the “Mirror” version of what your trick looks like in your regular stance.

Ie. 1. An Indy is a grab done by grabbing between the bindings on the toe edge with your trailing/rear hand
    2.  A Switch Indy is done by grabbing between the bindings on the toe edge with the OTHER hand (the hand which is now trailing)    while moving in a switch direction.

teacherboy this post went way over my head!

Mmm I think I agree. To make it simple just think when there is a switch in front of a trick’s name it’s when you’re riding switch and has nothing to do with the grabs. E.G. Switch backside 180 = riding switch, and doing a 180.

Yeah they was my thoughts behind it Skip.

The reason it came up because I was trying to describe someone doing a 2 methods. One normal one and one Method the way a goofy rider would do it (and he did a 180 in the middle just to complicate things further).

So originally I said “Switch Method” which is incorrect. But there is currently no name for what he did.

right so i was right in questioning the Switch in the title grin

(cause thats all that matters that I am right again! wink )

I think you are correct. Regular rider method = method, switch stance method = switch method. It’s just that he’s doing switch in the air instead of taking off switch.

Nah I was wrong originally (hence me deleting it), cause a Switch method is the same Method you always do, the only thing you do differently is you are moving in a switch direction.

What he did was a method as if he was a goofy when he’s not.

If you do this with an indy, it’s a mute.

If you do it with a method…. well… there’s no name for it. He’s probably not the first to do it, but it hasn’t been named yet.

if you did a method while riding switch and If you say I did a switch method…..it makes sense and I know what you mean because it explains exactly what happens. So why not use that? so much easier to use the same name for everything and add switch in front of it. Pretty sure I saw someone do a method while riding switch in the pipe and the commentators called it a switch method as well.

The move in The I ride pc clip….is pretty nuts i have to go and watch it in slow-mo to remember what he did exactly. maybe a method method 180? lol as in a play on shifty shifty 180? Im sure the guy that does it has a name for it

I agree, I think it’s easier just to add switch in front of whatever trick’s name if the rider is doing it switch.

I’m not saying “don’t say switch grab” I’m saying don’t change anything but your direction to make it a switch grab.
I guess the point I’m trying to make is we need some ground rules for “What is a switch grab?”

For a regular rider for example:

1. It could be the same hand grabbing the same part of the board as you would usually, but going switch.
In this case your Indy would look like a mute. But to you feel like an indy, and be the same motion you have always made to do an indy.

OR

2. It could be, you grab with the other hand (and reverse the direction of any tweaks) so it looks just like a goofy rider doing the grab, but you’re actually a regular going switch.

I hear people using “Switch grab” to describe both these things and they are 2 different tricks.

So when someone says, I did a Switch Indy, I won’t know which one they mean.

Personally I think it’s number 1. Cause if someone is doing a Switch 720 and they grab mute on take off, you wouldn’t call it a switch indy, switch 720. You would call it a switch 720 mute because i’ll count his rotations and then I’ll say okay he grabbed between his bindings with his front hand… He did a switch 720 mute.
It’s way easier if the grabs stay the same always and don’t change.

But that’s 2 For and 1 Against. I’ll keep a tally and we’ll see what everyone else thinks. I hope to get lots of opinions so we get an large survey of what people think of this.

I think switch is just for the stance the person is currently riding. So for your example Switch 720 mute, if you take off the 720 and just go straight air, it’ll be switch mute.

As far as I’ve always been concerned, switch only refers to the way someone takes off on the ground. I.e. A reg rider who does a Cab 7 indy is using his left hand to grab that Indy.

As for straight airs, it is the only time accept able to call something a switch grab, I.e. Switch Method, or Switch straight air Indy.

However, as for the trick in question from IRPC, If you leave the ground in your regular stance, do a 180 and do what is essentially a “switch Method”, it is not actually a switch method because you did not initiate the trick in a switch stance.

skip11 - 04 November 2012 02:29 PM

I think switch is just for the stance the person is currently riding. So for your example Switch 720 mute, if you take off the 720 and just go straight air, it’ll be switch mute.

Yep, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

SamNZ - 04 November 2012 05:27 PM

As far as I’ve always been concerned, switch only refers to the way someone takes off on the ground. I.e. A reg rider who does a Cab 7 indy is using his left hand to grab that Indy.

Did you mean right hand? I hope so.

Cause otherwise you are saying you change hands to do a switch grab…. and this is what you corrected me on LOL

No it’s not. I corrected you on the fact that guy wasn’t doing a switch method because he didn’t leave the ground in switch. I’m regular, if I’m riding switch and do an Indy grab, then my left hand is grabbing the board.

But by that logic, a switch nose grab means you would have to grab the tail.

Is that really what you want to vote for?