The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with board choice please :)

drc13 - 25 October 2012 09:00 AM

Nice one Andy glad it went well!  shaka

Drc….. get one… just get one. The last board I rode was a $900 board, and I like this one better lol.

Andy Aitken - 25 October 2012 09:36 AM
drc13 - 25 October 2012 09:00 AM

Nice one Andy glad it went well!  shaka

Drc….. get one… just get one. The last board I rode was a $900 board, and I like this one better lol.

Lol loving the surfing stoke! I actually messaged the mate who owns the board I’ve been using today asking if he wants me to arrange a way to get it back to him as I’ve had it so long. His answer may force me into a decision!

Good to know its a good board for a cracking price!

Had every intention on getting the board out this arvo but there was a pretty stiff NE wind and the banks are non existent. Had a swim instead but this thread has inspired me to give it a solid go again.

Yeah man, do it. We can be crappy surfers together LOL

I’m intending on surfing as much as possible until I leave for Japan. I want to actually get proficient at it this time around.

Great Thread!! convinced me to buy the 6’6 BIAS - hopefully get it soon!!

Oh cool, hope you like it. Tell me what you think when you’ve had a few days on it.

had my first day on the new board yesterday, it’s amazing how much easier it is to catch waves on than a short board or a minimal.
So stoked to stand up almost every time I catch a wave. I was getting really frustrated on a 6’1 thruster board. Not anymore. Can’t wait to go out again once my arms stop feeling like jelly…

Good stuff kneebaord, stoked for you.  Did you get a tailpad with it?

nthnbeachesguy - 05 November 2012 10:53 PM

Good stuff kneebaord, stoked for you.  Did you get a tailpad with it?

No I didn’t. It came with a set of fins.
I managed to get a 7’ leggy for it and a sock.
is it really necessary to have a tailpad?
I’ve waxed it up pretty good in that tail area, nice and bumpy.

A tail pad has some benefits but it’s not necessary. As long as you have a good coat of wax you’ll be fine.

Ok I’m new to the attempting to surf thing. I haven’t much idea of all the different types of boards out on the market and the size I need. I want some thing I can learn on with out being to lame for progression. I live in Victoria so waves are mainly 3-4ft on a average day in Summer. I have a board at the moment which is too racey.

Can you please help me :D

I was looking at a second hand Chilli - Pepper 3 size is 5.8 19 3/4 * 2 3/8

http://www.chillisurfboards.com/surfboards_old/peppa

I am around 180cm tall and weight 75kg.

Just want to know if its a good size for me. I ride my gf’s board which 6.6, 19 1/2
* 2 5/8

How do you go on your girlfriend’s 6’6? Is that the board you’re referring to in the first paragraph?

BKR sorry I missed this mate, can you tell me a bit more about your background, have you bodyboarded or are you completely new to the ocean?  I would suggest getting on something more in the 8ft range but could get away with something smaller.  Your way better off getting a bigger board as has been mentioned previously in this thread purely for the added stability as you’re going to find it easier to progress through the first stage which is definitely the hardest and most offputting for new surfers.

bktron your the same size/weight as me.

5’8” is so small.
My 5’8” is comp board, I picked it up off a pro - they generally ride these a couple of times before they are no good. With light weight glass they ding easy and snap. I’ve broken the nose off twice and snapped it in half once. Repaired, it is my back up board.
Very hard to paddle or stand up on. And very loose between turns. It’s hard to ride! But so easy to duck dive. Once they are going can be wicked but you have to have talent.

6’6” is too big -  2 5/8 is thick and 19 1/2 is wide.
It will float and paddle well but not leave any room for progression. This is similar to my first board.
Once your making turns it will become frustrating and it will be an effort to duck dive. Only good for getting onto waves, standing and trimming along the face.
Not recommended unless you get rid of it once you can stand and trim. May as well get a soft board.

My current short board is a 6’2” 18 3/4 * 2 5/16 with 4 ounce glass on bottom 4/4 ounce on top. Glass weight determines how long it will last/resist dings.
These dimensions would suit you but maybe a little thicker and 4/6 glass on top.

My favorite board is 7’2” * 20 1/2 * 2 5/8 minimal, shaped from a gun blank, 6 ounce bottom 4/6 top.
I had this shaped for my gf years ago to learn on but after I rode it didn’t let her keep it when we broke up (she only used it twice anyway).
It’s good in all conditions, small or big waves - paddles fast, floats well and can turn when moving fast, I can cut back in 2’ waves or outrun 8’ closeout sections.
In solid waves it bottom turns better than anything and will snap of the top. In fatter waves I can walk along it and hang 5 (just).
The down side; it’s almost impossible to duck dive and no good for late drops in sucky conditions - not a great barrel riding board and it barely fit’s in the back of the station wagon.

rider26 - 11 March 2013 11:24 PM

How do you go on your girlfriend’s 6’6? Is that the board you’re referring to in the first paragraph?

I find it fine to paddle around on and I can get waves with it and only straight line. It’s hard to get it off her though so I don’t get much of a run from it. smile

The girlfriends board is a 6.6.

BKR sorry I missed this mate, can you tell me a bit more about your background, have you bodyboarded or are you completely new to the ocean? I would suggest getting on something more in the 8ft range but could get away with something smaller. Your way better off getting a bigger board as has been mentioned previously in this thread purely for the added stability as you’re going to find it easier to progress through the first stage which is definitely the hardest and most offputting for new surfers.

I’m not a body boarder just skateboard a lot and snowboard a lot. But I don’t know if that will help me to much with that surf fitness. I was looking in to mini mals but I thought they really are just a big filled board. I don’t really give up to often even if its flat im out paddling to learn how to do it better. The 7S is a nice pick I didn’t see that when I was surfing about. I might try and get some thing a long those lines.

bktron your the same size/weight as me.

5’8” is so small.
My 5’8” is comp board, I picked it up off a pro - they generally ride these a couple of times before they are no good. With light weight glass they ding easy and snap. I’ve broken the nose off twice and snapped it in half once. Repaired, it is my back up board.
Very hard to paddle or stand up on. And very loose between turns. It’s hard to ride! But so easy to duck dive. Once they are going can be wicked but you have to have talent.

6’6” is too big - 2 5/8 is thick and 19 1/2 is wide.
It will float and paddle well but not leave any room for progression. This is similar to my first board.
Once your making turns it will become frustrating and it will be an effort to duck dive. Only good for getting onto waves, standing and trimming along the face.
Not recommended unless you get rid of it once you can stand and trim. May as well get a soft board.

My current short board is a 6’2” 18 3/4 * 2 5/16 with 4 ounce glass on bottom 4/4 ounce on top. Glass weight determines how long it will last/resist dings.
These dimensions would suit you but maybe a little thicker and 4/6 glass on top.

My favorite board is 7’2” * 20 1/2 * 2 5/8 minimal, shaped from a gun blank, 6 ounce bottom 4/6 top.
I had this shaped for my gf years ago to learn on but after I rode it didn’t let her keep it when we broke up (she only used it twice anyway).
It’s good in all conditions, small or big waves - paddles fast, floats well and can turn when moving fast, I can cut back in 2’ waves or outrun 8’ closeout sections.
In solid waves it bottom turns better than anything and will snap of the top. In fatter waves I can walk along it and hang 5 (just).
The down side; it’s almost impossible to duck dive and no good for late drops in sucky conditions - not a great barrel riding board and it barely fit’s in the back of the station wagon.

Ok, a lot to think about. This is some really good information here as it’s very technical. So many shapes and then sizes for conditions. The stores aren’t very helpful as they have a lot of cool factor to keep up.

I see a few guys around riding those Hypto Krypto but I assume they are for more advance riding.

What about some thing like this?

[eBay link removed - rider26]

I think i’ll sniff around for an 7S board in a larger size and paint my old board to put on the wall.