The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with board choice please :)

Oh well if it’s not yours then why why not get a fish!

If I can get up on it, anyone can. So I’ll let you know how my first day on it goes. I want to try it out so badly!

shaka

Haha you don’t know how convincing that argument you made is! hmm I’ll sleep on it….

I’m sure you’ll be carving up the waves in no time!

I’ve just sent the seller a question asking him if he knows how much the board weighs. It will be interesting to compare it vs the nsp epoxy.

Hey Andy I have never waited 24 to surf a board after putting a tailpad on.  Usually for me it’s rock up to the beach, pull out the new stick, put the tailpad on and then paddle out ha ha!  The only time I have issues with the tailpad coming off is usually in tropical conditions, Indo can wreak a bit of havoc with the glue due to the intense heat and humidity but generally Sydney weather is ok, just don’t leave your board in a hot car, that can totally kill the board as well as the tailpad glue.

BTW it looks like you took my comments re tailpad setout and positioning on board (pun intended), looks good mate.

nthnbeachesguy - 25 October 2012 12:28 AM

Hey Andy I have never waited 24 to surf a board after putting a tailpad on.  Usually for me it’s rock up to the beach, pull out the new stick, put the tailpad on and then paddle out ha ha!  The only time I have issues with the tailpad coming off is usually in tropical conditions, Indo can wreak a bit of havoc with the glue due to the intense heat and humidity but generally Sydney weather is ok, just don’t leave your board in a hot car, that can totally kill the board as well as the tailpad glue.

BTW it looks like you took my comments re tailpad setout and positioning on board (pun intended), looks good mate.

Oh good, I tried to do everything u said. I was worried that I put in to far down the tail. But I thought If I put it too high up, then I can’t put my foot past the kick if I want to. Hope it’s about right, I took my time and marked it out. I guess it’s just something u learn as you go anyway.

Well, board is waxed, Umina is up! (3-5 foot wtf??) Possibly a bit bigger than I wanted it but I’m not complaining. And it’s 34 degrees.
Looks like the ocean gods have cut me a break today (pun intended).

I’m out!

yeeewww! have fun!

Sweet go rip it up Andy!

I’m about to give myself an early mark and head home and to the beach myself!

Yeah, I agree with the 24 hour rule is made to be broken, and was gonna post that the other day, but then I didn’t just incase the pad came off for other reasons and I ended up gettin the blame!!!!! Hahahhaaa!!!!!

Have fun Andy!!!!!

Ohh, and I’ll back nthn’s comment about the hot car thing!!!!! It will twist the board like a pretzel if ya do!!!!! (Overly exaggerated description)

I’ve never seen lake Umina that big tongue laugh

And of course I’m at work, off this weekend though.

Just got back from Umina. SAWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET afternoon! It definitely wasn’t 5 foot lol, but I’m kinda happy about that. It was little and friendly which is what I needed. I hadn’t surfed in a year and it was a new board so I took my time and just paddled around for a while and “attempted” to duck dive since I’ve never had a board short enough. After catching a few waves just laying down I figured it was time to get to it.

I thought it was going to be MUCH harder to catch waves on this thing, and it would be something I would have to get used to….. nope.
First wave I popped up on, I rode just fine! The board is GREAT!! It’s way easier to maneuver and just as easy to catch waves on as the 8 footer I rode last time.
I think the thickness of it makes it hard to duck dive but I probably just suck at it.

After quite a few waves I started getting on them properly before popping up and riding them all the way. I wasn’t turning at all but the waves were super short and it was the first day so I’m pretty happy. I reckon I caught 30 or 40 waves before calling it, stoked dance

Going again tomorrow cheese

epic! glad to hear that, andy! If you’re around next week, I might meet you for a paddle, as my uni will be finished!

Good work Mr Aitken!!!!!  shaka

Sick mate, good work, excited for you!

Nice one Andy glad it went well!  shaka

cords - 25 October 2012 08:28 AM

epic! glad to hear that, andy! If you’re around next week, I might meet you for a paddle, as my uni will be finished!

Yeah cool, I’m work free atm so anytime is good. Give me a buzz