The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with board choice please :)

Just a note in regards to tailpads, I like the one Mizu has pictured as it’s got quite a few pieces rather than a single block, this allows you to spread them over the tail and provide both maximum protection and traction.  Protection?  Yes, a tailpad does provide a small amount of cushioning and protection for the board from your knees and feet and when you duckdive. 

I place my tailblock about an inch or touch more in front of my leg rope plug and then the side peices I splay out close to the rails to provide them a little bit of protection.  Nothing will kill a board quicker than shattering the rail near the tail, it really is a total prick to fix and keep fixed and water ingress there kills the board as it’s generally one of the thinnest yet heavily pressured areas of the board and if this gets weak from water ingress it will KILL the board.  Do not put your tailpad right out to the edge of the rail however, this will create drag, a little common sense is required, I generally make sure that the pad is about 1cm in from the very edge.  This is easier to judge on shortboards though as they have sharper boxier rails.

Right then, I’ll get a tail pad. They have always seemed like a good idea.

One in sections, ridge in the middle, don’t put it too close to the edges. Got it!

Thanks again guys, don’t worry, I’ll run out of questions soon wink

Andy Aitken - 23 October 2012 02:00 AM
Northern Lights - 22 October 2012 08:01 PM

Nice Andy. I’ll have to borrow a mates stand up and re learn that on the smaller days. How long is postage?

Not sure, but their factory is only about 2 hours drive from my house so I’m hoping it will be here by Monday-ish.
I’m also hoping that the weather goes back to being in the 30s like it was last week. It’s too damn cold right now.

Too right, weather has been crazy!

Yew. Just went to ESS and got a Balin leg rope (8 foot cause they didn’t have any 7s and I could use a bit of extra space anyway lol)

And I got a Balin Prowler Tail Pad too. 3 piece with a nice big arch and kick.

The guy at the store complimented me on a good board choice for my level (cheers guys) and gave me a nice discount.
Happy days!!

shaka

Mizu Kuma - 23 October 2012 06:38 AM

shaka

SO Andy, the big question, did you go for a surf yesterday?

nthnbeachesguy - 23 October 2012 09:07 PM

SO Andy, the big question, did you go for a surf yesterday?

Andy Aitken - 23 October 2012 02:00 AM

Not sure, but their factory is only about 2 hours drive from my house so I’m hoping it will be here by Monday-ish.
I’m also hoping that the weather goes back to being in the 30s like it was last week. It’s too damn cold right now.

Unfortunately I don’t think he would have it yet. I’m very interested to hear what he thinks of it though!

Haha, your a sharp one drc. Yeah I ordered it as a factory second from their workshop in Sydney. Apparently BIAS Surfboards is a pair of shapers that are brothers.
Sounds like a cool company, hope their boards are good.

Believe me, the day I get that board I will be on it!... Although I think you have to wait 24 hours after applying the tail pad. So the day after I get it I will be on it! lol
I’m told my favourite little beach will be up next week too cheese

I’ll definitely give the board a review on here after I’ve been on it for a week or two drc (I’ll need a few days to get my feet back, I don’t wan’t to blaim the board for my lack of skill lol).

Andy Aitken - 24 October 2012 02:11 AM

I’ll definitely give the board a review on here after I’ve been on it for a week or two drc (I’ll need a few days to get my feet back, I don’t wan’t to blaim the board for my lack of skill lol).

Sounds good mate, look forward to it!

Maybe a quick update on how noticeable the “factory second” is in appearence when you get it would be greatly appreciated.

Andy Aitken - 24 October 2012 02:11 AM

I’m told my favourite little beach will be up next week too cheese

This is good news. It’s been awhile since we had decent waves.

So my board got here already! Fastest postage ever. Check it out!  cheese

And the finished product after I got the tail pad, leg rope and fins on:

It got here so damn fast I don’t even have wax yet! Yes I know I can get some from any store but I ordered some Matunas which doesn’t use paraffin wax. And Yes I know I’m a dirty hippy… of sorts.

Can’t wait to ride this puppy!

Nice one mate looks sick!

Have you spotted the factory second blemishes at all?

No! Maybe I don’t wanna look to hard cause I’m in love with this thing right now, but I honestly can’t see anything. Unless they mean if you hold it the right angle to the light, then blue part vaguely has strokes to it. But I don’t even know if that’s what they meant. I’ll be waxing it anyway, so basically I just scored a rad board for cheap.

If she rides well I’ll let you know, I think they have a few left in different sizes. Although I saw that board you’re on, it looks pretty good no?

That’s fantastic news mate even more stoked for you!

Yeah I’m watching the board exactly like yours but in 6’6

My current board is fine just pretty heavy and a shortboard shape vs fish. Me as the rider is what’s holding me back much more than the board but a shiny new fibreglass board may force me out there to give it a better shot. It’s also a board that’s been on loan from a mate for way too long (I’ve offered it back to him numerous times) so eventually I’ll need to get myself one.

Not sure what I’ll do yet but I definitely think you made a great purchase!