The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Crazy stuff at lessons / rentals

Okay, a place to list and comment on the strange stuff you’ve seen at rental shops and at lessons.

Instructors, please chime in!

I will start with a recent story…

Whistler. Minus 17 in the village, minus 24 at mid station. A kid joins my lesson with no neck warmer, a helmet with no ear flaps. His face, neck, and ears were totally exposed. 10 minutes and the kid is in agony, his face is so cold he can barely talk. Who sends a 12 year old kid up a mountain in minus 24 for a full day without his face covered?

good one.
here’s some ... interesting/dangerous/hilarious stuff i’ve exp. during lessons.

dropping into the small park to see your buddy teaching a class. 1st kid in his class spins flat 5 onto a dancefloor box, spins out. instructor looks at me and goes “wtf am i supposed to teach this kid? he shreds for ride and is 16..”... hahahaha.

Sister of a brother-sister pair refuses to speak to me the entirety of the lesson due to ‘shyness’. she bails suuuper hard on the constant, forcing me to refer to her brother for THE ENTIRE DAY for information regarding her condition. rediculously frustrating.

favorite - letting my best kid in the class lead, pulling around the corner I see him being detained by speed police. I noticed he still had momentum, only had 1 other kid with me, and knew the kid could slay. He looked back at me and I gave him the go ahead, first and only time i’ve endorsed a kid running from speed police. we got away too. lucky.

least fav - the end of a club day, 50-150 8-12 year old kids are congregated in the village ride-out area of Base II at Blackcomb. As lesson debriefs are going on, I mention to one of the parents its Australia day. However my ‘warning’ wasn’t needed ,as just then those 50-150 kids saw 2 buck naked (besides flags) aussies burn through to the village ride out screaming and white as the day they were born. the kids were permanently scarred.

I am moving this story into this topic, because it fits here better, and contributes to this topic thread.

I forgot to include the story…
This is from another thread, but it fit better here.

Here’s an interesting story about… shall we say a stupid parent.

I was teaching a kid, on a normal day mid winter. It was a group of about 5 firs timers.
This one kid was a little slower than the rest of the group and at about our 3rd lap down the hill he got tired of being the last one to come down the little hill and took off the board, and began walking down the hill. I run up to him and try to cater to him, and he’s crying about how clod he is.

He has his glove off and tucked under his jacket. Of course he had some horribly cheap gloves. Thy were a little wet.
I looked at his hand and his pinky finger was white and half of his ring finger was white. I mean like DEAD white.
I knew this was frost bite, and we went to ski patroll as I dismissed the group and then left him at patrol to go find him mom…
She walks with me to patrol and then proceeds to tell me he has a neurological disorder and he “doesnt feel things like most kids do”
So, why would she leave him alone in the freezing cold for 2 hours with a stranger?
geesh!

I had a little girl join my class and she was about 5 years old. She would have tiny feet as most 5 years old girls have but when I looked at her boots they were bigger than mine. I knew that this couldn’t be right, so I took off her boot and sure enough she had little tiny feet and her boots were about 3 sizes too big. Apparently she got her boots fitted at a rental store in Whistler Village. Whoever fit her had some real problems with measuring, but it was funny none the less.

That reminds me of all the kids I see walking up for a snowboard lesson with the boots not even tied.
Dont you think that in order to perform almost any sport or activity - the boots you rent should be put on at least?

Just Giver - 15 June 2009 07:37 PM

Whoever fit her had some real problems with measuring.

and yet I`ll bet he knows how many grams are in an ounce…

Dave99 - 16 June 2009 02:37 AM

haha maybe, i don’t even know the answer to that question

LOL
I’ve worked in kitchens preparing food - 28g is the answer. I think it’s the same weight as a 20 cent coin, a 10 cent coin and a 5 cent coin if you need to check because the bag looks small. wink

Just Giver - 16 June 2009 02:39 AM

And you call yourself a snowboarder?

Hahahaha grin

spaz - 16 June 2009 02:15 PM
Just Giver - 16 June 2009 02:39 AM

And you call yourself a snowboarder?

not really actually!!!!

since when does measuring grams and ounces have anything to do with snowboarding.. ok so i was just informed about the meaning of the measuring and now i understand raspberry

the answer is 28. took long enough.

Shredlife - 20 June 2009 02:31 AM

the answer is 28. took long enough.

well thanks for clearing that up!!

post #8 Shredlife