The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Photo feedback and Critique

Thanks guys! All feedback definitely taken on board. Just a few notes!

The spot couldn’t really be cleaned up. It was done as fast as possible, as we were hassled by security even when setting up. The riders got a few hits each and that was it. Dirty snow was the least of the concerns as it was in a private carpark with cameras everywhere haha. Definitely a bit of a skate vibe to it.

Thanks for the notes on the comp spaz. I’ll give it a shot, but I’m sure if I’m sitting somewhere to get that right rail in the shot, It’s going to be right where the riders are coming down and I’m not too keen on being the haybale for that handrail haha. I will check it out next time we hit it up and try to improve for sure. Completely understand what you mean with the lines.

Apologies for the late reply, it was real tough here, we had 8ft of snow in 3 days at kirkwood and I just didn’t have it in me not to ride instead. haha.

Ah yes Graham I have been waiting for an update from you!

Kirkwood on a powder day, I hate you right now downer

grahamgee - 15 February 2014 04:48 AM

Definitely a bit of a skate vibe to it.

That’s what I liked about it!!!!! The dirty snow suited the location with the car park/industrial handrail/etc, I reckon!!!!! shaka

for those of you who don’t follow me on instagram aka most of you haha I’ve been pretty bored so I’ve been doing some photo work for my friend Nath, let me know what you think??

First one of Stale

Second is of Jake

I also did one for Nixon Aus on instagram lol

Whats your insta?

were these run as ads or did you just add the Rome and Nixon logos yourself

deanobruce - 05 March 2014 02:07 PM

Whats your insta?

RICK_MARTINEZ_MEDIA

Cheers!

MarcD - 06 March 2014 11:26 AM

were these run as ads or did you just add the Rome and Nixon logos yourself

They will be run, not the nixon one however!
I got a bunch more in the works for Vestal Australia

And for those of you who haven’t heard i have just taken a gig with Rome SDS Yew!!

Massive congrats on the Rome signing man! Big ups to ya

Really like the shot of Jake, perfect moment, body all counter rotated, looks sick.

Way to go Rick!!!  clap  thumbsup

I think those are sick, Rick. Especially love the first one of Stale.

Alright crew, especially MarcD, who I know has been critical of “guy in the sky” shots and for good reason. So…

Check out the new featured slider image at the top of the website for FYVE: Niseko, Japan.

I was debating whether to use this shot or not and I decided to use it. Do you consider this a guy in the sky shot, or is there just enough context? It’s super hard sometimes with that particular crop, because you do cut out a good chunk of the photo usually. Overall, I felt there was just enough in the shot, plus it was the best photo by a long shot and it also looks sick and grabs your attention. But something about it is still throwing me off. Is this one OK, or is it a guy in the sky?

I dont feel like its totally guy in the sky. The snow lip, the trees and the gondy give it perspective. You can tell that the guy is sending it off a drop into the trees. I quite like it. But also agree that something is a little off with it. Seeing more in the bottom of the pic would be good. As in some of a landing

I like it and think its about as guy in the sky as me sitting on my couch in my boxers right now.
You also cropped it with the rule of thirds in effect, intentional or not Me and my boxers approve!
9//10 would look at again

It’s a Guy-in_the_sky Shot, but who cares????? (Gumby, TJ, and Chuckster excluded)

If it looks good to you then odds are it will look good to others, so definitely run with it!!!!!

That was my whole argument before!!!!!