The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

this seasons cameras

hi guyz
have read the thread from 09 about recommendations for compact cameras. any recommendations for buying a camera before i head to nz at the start of june. i reckon up to about the $400-$500 mark, just want something to take good shots and some alright vid. all my friends keep telling me to get the olympus tough cameras but from surfing experience they’re crap. is there anything availabe duty free so i can save some cash at the same time
cheers in advance

casio fc 150 is the camera to get for sports. It’s 18800yen on amazon.co.jp. Not sure if they ship international

If you are interested in the shockproof/waterproof point and shoot type cameras, Canon have come out with a new range.

Canon PowerShot D10

Canon PowerShot D10 Review

Any goods valued over $300 AUD are eligible for tax/duty free. You need to spend over $300 on a single tax receipt. If you leave the country with those goods, within 30 days of your purchase, you will be refunded the entire GST amount at the airport.

Information on tax back in THIS THREAD (4th post down). Let me know if you have any questions regarding duty/tax free.

What all are you wanting in the camera, size, strength, waterproof, format (Just jpeg or do you want Raw to)  Give us a few details about what you are looking for, what you will be using the camera for and what you want to use the photos for.

Cheers

size - small enough to fit in the pocket in a jacket.
strength - doesn’t have to be waterproof or drop proof but something that can withstand the normal on mountain wear and tear.
format - jpeg is fine, i only plan on using them for myself but i would like the option of being able to blow up to a decent size if possible.
price - up to $400.00 ish

the local camera guy did recommend the canon powershot d10 for surfing, so i’m guessing it’d go alright in the snow as well.

Just curious, what didn’t you like about the Olympus Tough? I’ve been using the 1030 for about two years now and I really like it. I’ve used it for snowboarding, skating, and surfing. It’s always taken very nice photos and the camera has some really good features.

the delay between when you hit the button and when the photo is captured. In the surf it always took a long time. i’m not sure if this is the same with the new ones, but all my friends ones i’ve used since they hit the market have been slow in that department.

Yeah unfortunately I have noticed that with a lot of point and shoots. It does get frustrating, especially with action sports. I find there is a much smaller lag time when you turn the flash off and focus ahead of time (by pressing the button lightly). There is a mode on my camera which takes the shot almost simultaneously when you hit the button.

My girlfriend has a Canon PowerShot (not the D10) and her camera is very fast, admittedly much faster than my Olympus. Canon make very good point and shoot cameras. I would look at the D10 if you want to use it for snowboarding and surfing. It does retail at $599 but I’m sure you can find it cheaper. You will also get 9.09% tax back at the airport.

yeah, i’ve always done the same as you mentioned with the flash. i might look at using the d10 as a base and then try to find something better, if not, use it as a fallback.

Let us know how your search goes.

Only last night I read about the Sony TX5. The worlds smallest, thinnest, waterproof camera that withstands the shock from a drop of 1.5 meters onto concrete. Survives the chill of -10 and goes underwater to 3 meters. It can take 243? panorama photo’s by self stitching a sweeping series of photo’s. $AU599

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a point and shoot that doesn’t have “lag”.

spaz - 13 April 2010 09:02 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a point and shoot that doesn’t have “lag”.

Like I said in the other thread, the casio fc150 not only doesn’t have lag in it’s highspeed mode, it even shoots for 2 seconds before you even push the shoot button!

Even though the OP said he doesn’t need it, for a super tough waterproof camera, casio has the new G1. you can see links here:
http://neilhartmannlife.wordpress.com/2010/03/27/casio-ex-g1/

I’ve held one and it feels really good in the hand imo

i understand every p&s camera will have lag, but i’m just trying to find one that has minimal lag… too high standards maybe?

have a mate who’s suggested a canon g11. looks pretty damn sweet although not “waterproof or cold proof” as such, so would have to be a little more careful with it

not sure if my posts are invisible but I just told you about a camera that doesn’t have shutter lag.

G11 is not the camera you’re looking for carrying in your pocket and for sports. It’s too big and it has the shutter lag problem

gamblor, you talkin’ about the casio FC 150???

thanks for the advice mate, i understand all p&s cam’s will have lag, but considering what i’m after i will have to put up with a little bit of it.

Might just go the olympus tough for starters, that way i can take it out on the piss, off cliffs, down mountains and all the rest and not worry about it within reasonable doubt.

Have had a play with the G11 in store, amazing camera for those in the non-dslr market, in case you’re wondering. Amazing quality, perfect clarity & everything you could want bar interchangable lenses. Canon D10 shows the olympus where to go in the waterproof/shockproof market though, absolutely a major step above the rest, canon just doesn’t have the marketability of the olympus tough’s. something to do with the dog in the ad?

rider26 - 13 April 2010 07:13 AM

Just curious, what didn’t you like about the Olympus Tough? I’ve been using the 1030 for about two years now and I really like it. I’ve used it for snowboarding, skating, and surfing. It’s always taken very nice photos and the camera has some really good features.

Ive had issues with my girlfriends Olympus Tough.
It got dropped onto a board at Thredbo and the screen broke and it got water in it at Manly beach.
Olympus were great about it though and fixed it both times under warranty, but its still the pain of having to send it back etc.
Plus my girlfriend wasnt too happy about it as it was me who was using it both times smile
Ive heard quite a few people have had waterproof issues with them though.

Now it doesnt get taken into the water at all which kinda defeats the purpose of having a waterproof camera.