The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Help with skateboards and starting out :)

Hi Guys,
Pretty new to the forum so hopefully I post this in the right spot. So I am pretty new to skating and I’ve done it a couple of time. (Not very good but meh I’m having fun)
I was looking to buying a board, should I get it custom made? If so what should I be looking for?
Complete deck? (Where should I go and get one! raspberry I’m in Melbourne)
Or buy an old one of a local skateboarder (Any Melbournians out there want to sell me there old board?)

Thanks Guys!

P.S I’m the biggest n00b on 4 wheels ever raspberry Not into longboarding.

You can get an Alien Workshop complete for less than $100 from Ballistyx. Pretty good to start with imo.
http://www.ballistyx.com.au/index.php?pageID=10627&action=productcatalogue&prodcat_id=1796&sectionID=10457

Completes are good value and there are some decent ones out there, but they usually don’t use the best parts (trucks, wheels, bearings etc). Just make sure you know what parts you’re getting. If you want something a bit better, I’d suggest putting together your own deck, as in buying the individual parts you want and getting the store to set it up for you.

24 Skateboards have a great deal going on. http://www.24skateboards.com/

Deck, grip, wheels, and ceramic bearings for $125. Or deck with grip for $45. Their decks also have a 12 month ‘break it, replace it’ warranty, which I’ve never seen anyone offer before. I believe they also do free shipping.

Welcome boardergirl!
I think getting a complete set up is a good option. But also, 24 skateboards are awesome, and their deals are hard to pass. Just means you would have to buy trucks as well.
It really depends on how much you are willing to spend and if you are happy to upgrade some gear once you out grow it (by I mean your skills pass the level of gear). When learning you are not really going to notice the difference between top level wheels/bearings/trucks compared to that which you will get on a complete buy.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? I’ll be able to let you know which store is closest to you and might have what you need

Good luck with it and keep us up to date with your progress smile

rider26 - 13 May 2012 11:39 PM

Completes are good value and there are some decent ones out there, but they usually don’t use the best parts (trucks, wheels, bearings etc). Just make sure you know what parts you’re getting. If you want something a bit better, I’d suggest putting together your own deck, as in buying the individual parts you want and getting the store to set it up for you.

24 Skateboards have a great deal going on. http://www.24skateboards.com/

Deck, grip, wheels, and ceramic bearings for $125. Or deck with grip for $45. Their decks also have a 12 month ‘break it, replace it’ warranty, which I’ve never seen anyone offer before. I believe they also do free shipping.

That’s pretty awesome value, can get a good set of trucks for $64 like http://stmonline.com.au/Venture-Low-Polished

Thanks guys for your advice!
I live in Footscrazy area smile
I might attempt to build my own board but if I get too ceebs I might just go with the 24skateboard idea and the trucks that were recommended! Do you reckon I should just pop out to whatever the local store is and just chose what I want there or online?

Thanks again!

Not sure of shops out west, but your prob not too far from the CBD, so I recommend heading into Fast Times. Dunno what completes they have. I’d just head instore and chat to the fellas there. If you get the 24 package, definately head there to look at trucks. 24 is great. Boards will last you for ever. I have been skating them, but at the moment I’m on Cliche which I love. Once 24 start making wider boards I will be straight back on them.

121 Swanston St
Melbourne 3000
(03) 9639 7121
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Hey Boardergirl,
Welcome on board and to the world of skating.
When it comes to getting a board there are a good few options out there in terms of completes, depending how much you are willing to spend. Generally speaking for a complete from companies like Alien Workshop, Real or Zero a complete can start from about $150 and offer a beginning a great set up. Setting up something from scratch can be quite expensive, although the deals from 24 seem to be really impressive. All the reports I have heard about them are good.
Trucks to me are the most important things to spend money on. Spend money on these and you won’t regret it. If your learning get some mids as they will offer you more after a while whereas lows are very “street” orientated.
Decent bearings help with learning to roll as you don’t have to push as much, but ceramics are an overkill for someone learning.
I hope this info has helped.

hey CJ, what about hi trucks?

Thanks guys,

I ended up just getting a deck from 24. and put everything else together smile

Now to leave the house and look for an empty car park or fall down somewhere, whatever comes first raspberry

You live near Melbourne dont you? I now of a few, just gotta remember which streets in the CBD they are in. We havent been kicked out of these ones yet

Gamblor - 30 May 2012 06:54 AM

hey CJ, what about hi trucks?

Well gamblor (dam you gamblor) sorry had to do that.
In regards to HI’s they aren’t really that common anymore, some companies say they do it but they don’t really. It is a really annoying thing to be honest, but it comes down to the truck company on the heights they chose. Some have a mid that is really low and others have one that is ridiculously high.
Leave it with me and I will try and crack down and do some real specs for you on that.

just asking because I ordered some thunder hi’s. just wondering what that will signify

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 May 2012 01:39 PM

You live near Melbourne dont you? I now of a few, just gotta remember which streets in the CBD they are in. We havent been kicked out of these ones yet

i just go to the one on swanston near melbourne uni sometimes smile but I don’t think security would be ceebs kicking anyone out anywhere. they’re sooo chilled or lazy. hahaha

Yeh cool
Just realized, cos iPhones are awesome and save location to my vids n pics, I can tell you where we were skatin on Saturday.
It is one near the corner of Little Collins and Queens. We skated straight past the security guard at 3am, wen down the ramp, then came straight back up to see if he was following us and he was sleeping in his car LOL

“hi’s” will give you more wheel clearance, so better for bigger wheels can fit on a lot easier without the need for riser pads. With “hi’s” they will offer you better turning as well as they pivot more.