The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Rate my setup

I’ve got this setup in the cart and I have an itchy trigger finger. I haven’t skated for 10 years but want to get back into it. I sucked before, so I’ll be even worse now so I don’t want to spend loads. Here’s what I got:

Krooked Block Eyes XL Pink 8.25 Deck
Royal Four Skateboard Trucks raw (5.25) 8.0 axle
Bones 100’s Colored Formula Skateboard Wheels green (100a) 54mm
Bones Reds Bearings
and jessup grip tape and independent hardware

8.25 is a sweet size. Great wheels n bearings. Don’t know the trucks n deck so can’t comment. I say hit the confirm button mate.  Prob worth gettin some bones bushings too. Decks wear out 100 times faster than snowboards, so so as a first deck I’m sure it will be great.

Krooked decks are quality!!!!!

I’d swap the trucks for eithe some Indy’s or Thunders!!!!!

Thunders best and smoothest turning circle, Indys nothing grinds like them. Depends what u want

don’t think I’d be able to tell the difference at this point. extra $4 for thunder polished 147 hi or low. Obviously you guys will say go for it, but for which ones? hi or low.$5 for ventures polished 5.2 hi and low, and extra $6 for independent 139 stage 10 or stage 10 low’s.

Go Thunder over Venture. With 54mm you could prob get away with lows

hmmm, not sure I like the ‘prob get away with’ line

LOL just depends how loose u like ur trucks. My mate runs one high one low truck

Lows are normally coupled with smaller dia wheels for park, while highs are normally for larger wheels that give better benefits when cruisin at speeds!!!!!

It can be a matter of ‘each to their own’/‘trial and error though’ as everyone finds things differently!!!!! Flux, cough, Flux…...

So if ya wanna stay in the park go the Thunder 147 low but bolt on some 52mm ? wheels, or for a more cruise style setup find a slightly wider truck say a Thunder 149 high and stick with the 54mm ? wheels!!!!! Both of these combos should be pretty suitable to play both ways though!!!!! (Or with a mid as the best all rounder)

Both width trucks will suit that width deck as it’s in a crossover range, but each will have better attributes in the different disciplines of the sport!!!!!

* Oh, and just to throw another T=Tool into the works, I’d go with a set of Spitty’s!!!!! (Not that I know/have heard much about the Bones though)

boom! Trigger = pulled. New skate (with Thunder trucks) is on it’s way, along with elbow pads, 2 tshirts and some Nike SB prod vrod shoes. I can now rock up to the park with my skateboard tshirt and elbow pads and fit right in ha ha

shaka

Awesome mate! Get out there and shred the concrete!

Did you end up going with the black n green prod vulcs?

Yeah, I got those ones - they went down further to $38 on some random sale yesterday!
I’m not sure they’re vulcs. I think it said that they have the vulc look but cupsole comfort or something. whatever, we’ll see.
Just hope they fit.
So stoked on having a skate though.

Thunder trucks are the bomb. I’m putting together a new skate setup for myself this week. Zero 8.25, Thunder trucks, Bones Reds, Spitfire wheels. Pretty stoked to start skating again.

rider26 - 21 May 2012 06:32 AM

Thunder trucks are the bomb. I’m putting together a new skate setup for myself this week. Zero 8.25, Thunder trucks, Bones Reds, Spitfire wheels. Pretty stoked to start skating again.

hmmm, seems like someone is biting my style confused I start to skate, rider starts to skate, I get an 8.25 deck with thunder trucks and bones reds, so does rider…well, they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery! LOL

Gamblor - 21 May 2012 10:17 AM
rider26 - 21 May 2012 06:32 AM

hmmm, seems like someone is biting my style confused I start to skate, rider starts to skate, I get an 8.25 deck with thunder trucks and bones reds, so does rider…well, they do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery! LOL

It’ll confirm ya suspicions the moment he starts growin rice in his backyard!!!!!