The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Carving to the park.

Is this the dream, can one board do it all, if so suggestions please?

I’ll start the ball rolling, GNU Park Pickle?

Lib Tech Skate Banana…............  I don’t like rails so no comment on that part of it.

I’ve heard fantastic things about the Lib Tech TRS. TRS = Total Ripper series.
I’ve heard such good things that I’ve lined it up as my next board for the coming season.

Interesting, thats magna traction isn’t it, but is it reverse camber or standard, also what kind of riding do you do?

I think the TRS has the CRS tech, banana through the middle and camber at both ends, apparently that works really well.

nthnbeachesguy - 17 October 2009 10:23 PM

I think the TRS has the CRS tech, banana through the middle and camber at both ends, apparently that works really well.

Current TRS has Banana Tech + Magnetraction
TRS is Banana between the feet, and flat under the feet.

CRS tech is found on the Darkstar and Travis Rice C2
Banana between the feet and camber under the feet.

However, I have heard that their next generation of boards are going to predominantly be the CRS rather than just standard Banana Tech.
Can’t remember where I read/heard this though, and I can’t back that up in any way raspberry

http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/tech/ <—-Great explanation of the Lib-Tech abbreviations and terminology such as MTX, BTX, C2BTX, Correct Sandwich

I do tons of freeride/all mountain and off piste, but also learnt the joys of the park life this season

I still think I will get the skate banana this season.
I’ll be sure to give a full report. but it will be a while.

I guess not that many people have viewed this post but one thing that strikes me is that all the boards mentioned are magnatraction, does anyone have an opionion on this or some suggestions of non magna boards?

I rode my friends ride DH last season and it felt dope, i just know that the edges crack super easy when you ride it on rails/boxes and its not the easiest to warranty…shame.

I took a gnu street series and a nitro pantera to NZ this year for my hols, with the idea of riding the street in the park and pantera down the steep bits.  However I rode the street all over all the time, i just had heaps more fun on it. still going relatively quick down the slopes, but it just felt playful over all the hills.  Hope that made sense

Aidy - 19 October 2009 10:55 PM

I guess not that many people have viewed this post but one thing that strikes me is that all the boards mentioned are magnatraction, does anyone have an opionion on this or some suggestions of non magna boards?

I rode my friends ride DH last season and it felt dope, i just know that the edges crack super easy when you ride it on rails/boxes and its not the easiest to warranty…shame.

I think that all the mentioins are MTX because that is how MTX is marketed.
I’ve not known anyone to really get a lot of experience on one though.
I see them on the hill and I ask about them, but everyone says how great they are…
But if you ask anyone about the gear they ride I bet almost everyone would tell you how great the products they use are.
That is why it is hard to really get good opinions on equipment.

snowslider - 25 October 2009 05:48 AM
Aidy - 19 October 2009 10:55 PM

I think that all the mentioins are MTX because that is how MTX is marketed.
I’ve not known anyone to really get a lot of experience on one though.
I see them on the hill and I ask about them, but everyone says how great they are…
But if you ask anyone about the gear they ride I bet almost everyone would tell you how great the products they use are.
That is why it is hard to really get good opinions on equipment.

yeah the street series that I ride has MTX, and I really like it- if thats because of the MTX then great, but I’d probably say its just because its mine and gnu/lib tech have instilled in my brain that it is great traction etc.  PS.  The idea behind MTX makes sense to me eg. more contact points and I have a 154 and am 6’3 and 100kg; as far as I know most would say thats a too small board- so maybe the MTX helps cos I don’t feel like im loosing my edge all the time/slipping out

I rode the Park Pickle last season and although it was pretty good around the hill I really struggled in the park.  I found it way too stiff.

In regard to the magnetraction, amazing for carving and not so good on the rails.  I found every time I went for a front board, the board wanted to drift in to the narrowest part of the magnetraction, I also didn’t like C2 banana camber for locking onto rails or ollying.  But some people reckon there is nothing better, matter of personal opinion I guess. 

I am starting to think that more hybrid shapes are the way to go.  I still prefer to have camber between my bindings….

I’ve been looking for a board that can do it all too, alot of reviews that i have read suggest the burton custom. opinions?

Burton Custom is the “I don’t know what I want to do” board. You can take it anywhere but it doesn’t EXCEL in 1 area.

On the topic, I had the Forum Scallywag last year, I got it to some decent speeds and it was manageable. But I would go something stiffer for Jumps and carving, you can tell the difference. Butters were soooooo easy though smile

Ride DH2 is a very popular ‘do it all’ board. Sligthtly below midflex yet not butter soft. Same with boards like Capita Indoor Surival, Burton Custom V-Rocker,etc. I’ve found GNU/Lib Tech boards all too stiff to be considered really good jib sticks. Great all mountain though.

amazingly enough, any board is an allround board. They can all float in pow and ollie and ride rails etc. Some people will tell you that ‘this board sucks in the park’ or ‘that board isn’t good for carving’ but remember that those statements are just opinions. That person may suck in the park and just blame their board for example. In my case, I have a custom x. I find it too stiff in the park…does that mean it’s too stiff for park riding?? not at all. Look at the burton pros who ride it : kokubo, kalbermatten, grilc etc and tell me they can’t ride park because of it. There’s a lot of hype out there and it’s up to you whether you want to buy in on it or not.
Like it was said before, the burton custom has a shape that is good in all conditions but does not excel in any one thing. This can be a good thing. With my custom x, I find that I don’t need to think about the board and whether it will hold up in certain terrain. It does the job, but I’m not thinking ‘damn, I love this board!!’ (most of the time). I have professed my love for the board after a sick bc pow run, but if I think about it objectively, I would have said the same thing about any other of the boards I have ridden recently (malolo, fish, lib trice, smokin, joystick, easy livin flying v etc).

So just get something with cool graphics!