The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Home improvements.

Poll: Should I be getting in touch with the patent office immediately?
Total Votes: 3
Get your velcrow shoes done up and coat on quick!
Put your jacket on and get someone to help you with the straps.
Is this guy seriously asking us this?

I’ve got a pair of salomon synapse snowboard boots, they’re 3 seasons old, well 4 with this last NZ one.  My problem is they always become really loose around the top section of the boot even if i crank them.  Its a pull string system on inner and outer.  My plan is to try and attach a power strap ski boot style to the top section of the boot.  My biggest problem is where i can get the materials from.  I don’t know how i’m going to sort this, but i’m pretty sure its a genius idea.  Lets face it velcrow worked wonders for me at primary school, (do you guys get clarkes hardware down under?) and i’ve foolishly neglected it ever since, well not anymore.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this or just has any ideas why this isn’t common on snowboard boots already let me know.

I would hazard a guess that moisture, ice and snow can render velcro near useless and it breaks down rather quick as well.  If you could design a boot that had the ability to replace the velcro portions with ease and at a reasonable price you might be onto something.

In my opinion the Salomon lacing system has its flaws and probably the cause of the problems. Shane used to do up his boots and then with an additional boot lace, lace it over the lacing system like a hockey boot. You can get the additional velcro powerstrap thing from ski shops. Unfortunately it’s already been invented. wink Remember the velcro would be under your pants, so the ice etc.. isn’t much of a problem.

Time for new boots I think Aidy.

I do believe this has been done before. look for ski accessories and eventually you may find it.
A fabric or quilting type store may have a looped item like that
you need a velcro strap and a loop attached to one end.
many ski boots still have a similar strap on the top for the same reasons, and since Salomon is a ski company, they are familiar with the need for it.

I thik you may not find them on boarding boots because of the nature of a soft boot for boarding, vs a stiff boot that you are ‘locked in’ to with skiing.

Just to let the few people who may have a vague interest know…who am i kidding! I just want to tell the world.  I bought some straps that might commonly be used for securing luggage or you might see them on a rucsac?  They are striped in what i would describe as rastafarian colours.  I don’t think i’m going to attach them to my boots, well not initially, just use them in a way similar to how a belt is worn around the top of the boot.