The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Romance, lets hear about it

cords - 08 November 2011 11:30 PM

My take is that I find traditional forms of romance & especially things that involve spending money (let alone copious amounts of it) aren’t in fact (this is just my opinion) romantic at all. I don’t see flowers, expensive dinners, jewellery or anything else like that as romantic. I don’t enjoy it, or have any wish for it.
I often wonder why people think expensive things might mean the other person cares about you more? How can that be? I see it as being about the conversation and the time spent together which can be at any old place. I’d be much happier having $10 steak night at the bowlo as a night out than any fancy restaurant!

Romance for me is something that can’t be planned or contrived. Romance is a joke that only the two of you think is funny, romance is a ridiculous nickname derived from an even more ridiculous conversation. Romance is doing things together that you enjoy. Romance comes from being the best of friends.

my 2 cents.

i get the same thing about valentines day
pompous overly commercial marketing idea that turned into a social norm
at least Christmas they hide it under the moniker of religious ideals
Too much big bang theory watching Sheldon LOL

instead of spending 5 x the mark up on gifts for one day…do it 5 times over the year normally??
(well maybe not 5x but it certainly feels like it)

cords - 08 November 2011 11:30 PM

My take is that I find traditional forms of romance & especially things that involve spending money (let alone copious amounts of it) aren’t in fact (this is just my opinion) romantic at all. I don’t see flowers, expensive dinners, jewellery or anything else like that as romantic. I don’t enjoy it, or have any wish for it.
I often wonder why people think expensive things might mean the other person cares about you more? How can that be? I see it as being about the conversation and the time spent together which can be at any old place. I’d be much happier having $10 steak night at the bowlo as a night out than any fancy restaurant!

Romance for me is something that can’t be planned or contrived. Romance is a joke that only the two of you think is funny, romance is a ridiculous nickname derived from an even more ridiculous conversation. Romance is doing things together that you enjoy. Romance comes from being the best of friends.

my 2 cents.

I totally agree with what ya sayin cords, except that if I spend a week workin to get the money to take my wife away somewhere to be wined and dined, and not just to spoil her but myself as well by doin somethin that we like, not romantic?????

To buy flowers for my wife instead of spendin that money on myself, not romantic?????

I know that when she buys me somethin out of the blue, the material thing doesn’t mean much, but I feel happy that she has thought of me by the mere act!!!!! Is this not romantic?????

I totally agree, however I think that both a $5 picnic in the park and an expensive dinner can be equally romantic, depending upon the situation, the company and however much both parties enjoy themselves. Its interesting to hear everyone’s opinions smile

I totally agree, however I think that both a $5 picnic in the park and an expensive dinner can be equally romantic, depending upon the situation, the company and however much both parties enjoy themselves. Its interesting to hear everyone’s opinions smile

Oh shit yeah, that’s what I’m sayin!!!!!

Its the act and not the value in dollar terms that makes it romantic, but surely if someone spends $200 on a bottle of bubbly and some flowers, instead of buyin themselves a new car stereo, then this can definitely be seen as bein romantic!!!!!  Maybe I’m wrong?????

Definitely agree with you Mizu!

Especially if flowers and a bottle of bubbly is something that person really enjoys/appreciates. There is a reason why there is a saying ‘It’s the thought that counts’... no matter what the monetary value, its the thought behind it that makes it special.

Yeah I guess so Mizu - just depends what the person likes. I love flowers but I would much prefer them on the bush they were growing on. I’m happier with apple cider than I am with any kind of champagne. I’d rather 10 cheap dinners out with my husband than one fancy one…
As rhi says, it is the thought that counts and I don’t think spending more money counts as more thought! Why spend more money when it isn’t necessary? Why spend $200 on a bottle of bubbly and flowers when a hand made card could tell the same story?

That is just me though.  As with humdingaling, I also find nothing romantic or important about valentines day and I think the whole deal just makes single people feel bad. I don’t think one day of the year any more important in a relationship than any other….so you can guess how low key or non-existent anniversaries are for us…people may think that boring but I think its the opposite. Every day is fun and open to possibility.

I like it cords.

Instead of buying flowers I cut a branch to take home. One flower from the branch I’ll hand deliver to her work.

cords - 09 November 2011 05:48 AM

Why spend more money when it isn’t necessary? Why spend $200 on a bottle of bubbly and flowers when a hand made card could tell the same story?

Why not do both?????

If you have the money why not?  Most girls I know despite what they say do enjoy being taken somewhere nice for dinner, I don’t mind it either if I’m honest ha ha!

For me, I see it as a waste. We don’t have a whole lot of spare money to throw around and there are a lot of other things I would rather spend money on, than token gifts or dinners. eg. I’d rather $200 on a new snow jacket, bodyboard or something else I’d actually use than an expensive meal.
Also, as far as if you have the money, why not? That is very valid - I’m just saying that I don’t want any of that stuff - never have and never will grin

I love goin out for a 4 course dinner at an up market restaurant, stayin at a fancy hotel in the city and drinkin expensive wines!!!!!!

I also love hot chips and BBQ sauce at the beach, sittin on my lounge in my boxers and drinkin Oettinger Pils!!!!!!

Variety is the spice of life, and sharin that with ya soul mate is what makes those experiences even better!!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 09 November 2011 11:28 AM

I love goin out for a 4 course dinner at an up market restaurant, stayin at a fancy hotel in the city and drinkin expensive wines!!!!!!

I also love hot chips and BBQ sauce at the beach, sittin on my lounge in my boxers and drinkin Oettinger Pils!!!!!!

Variety is the spice of life, and sharin that with ya soul mate is what makes those experiences even better!!!!!!

Word! smile

Make everyday valentines day
<3

If I were rich Id eat at a nice restaurant every night…you only live once and nice food (cooked by someone else!) is one of the best things in life! thats one of the only things id change, id keep catching trains, keep my shitty phone, and all my 2nd hand crap but spend on food….so if anyone wants to be romantic and take me to dinner at a nice place go for it wink