The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Selwyn Park $20

EvanL - 12 August 2009 05:17 AM

I thought i read somewhere at one time at the entry to the Terrain park where they have the warning sign that you must have a valid pass to use the park.
I doubt they would want freeloaders hacking up the park and using the box’s and rails they had made and maintained if your not paying for it.
I vaguely remember a few years ago that i saw someone checking at the top of the Perisher Park? But thats the only time though.
The Thredbo one is halfway up the mountain anyway so would take 30mins hike to just get to the bottom of it. Perishers is easier accessed as its on front valley.

Yeah, if you saw a sign once it probably is mountain policy across the board. How each mountain enforces it is another thing entirely. Would they actually be able to fine you over that or just remove you from the resort?

Every season at the beginning I hear rumors of a person that will stay at the top of the park and check passes - like to verify age, or that they took some park safety course at the lodge. But I never have known them to do this. If a park had one entrance to it ans one only possibly.

Im not altogether sure about this but ive heard that they can only stop you hiking on private land and as perisher is in a national park you can hike where you want. you pay for the use of the lifts not the land, so technically they cant stop you hitting any jumps (i wonder about rails though) as they dont actually own the snow. I actually put this to the test at perisher when I was riding the pipe one time (I had a season pass but forgot it) and they were checking passes at the top, the bloke said wheres your pass and i said im hiking i dont need one the lines are to long to buy one, he said i couldnt ride anymore and i ignored him and kept riding…nothing happened but thats not really proof that its ok. I think youd have to look into the laws surrounding leasing within national parks to be certain.

on a side note if anyone does ride the selwyn park in the next two weeks could they let me know if its worth going and doing a little film edit to show people what its like?

For the past few years riding buller, i have never been asked for a ticket at a park.
Come to think of it, they hardly even ask for tickets when you’re off bourke street

golfpunklegend - 12 August 2009 09:14 AM

For the past few years riding buller, i have never been asked for a ticket at a park.
Come to think of it, they hardly even ask for tickets when you’re off bourke street

If I had to read tickets for a job I probably would get sick of it fast too. Guess more people on bourke street means more chance of getting someone who takes greater care in checking.

CRACKERS - 12 August 2009 09:00 AM

Im not altogether sure about this but ive heard that they can only stop you hiking on private land and as perisher is in a national park you can hike where you want. you pay for the use of the lifts not the land, so technically they cant stop you hitting any jumps (i wonder about rails though) as they dont actually own the snow. I actually put this to the test at perisher when I was riding the pipe one time (I had a season pass but forgot it) and they were checking passes at the top, the bloke said wheres your pass and i said im hiking i dont need one the lines are to long to buy one, he said i couldnt ride anymore and i ignored him and kept riding…nothing happened but thats not really proof that its ok. I think youd have to look into the laws surrounding leasing within national parks to be certain.

on a side note if anyone does ride the selwyn park in the next two weeks could they let me know if its worth going and doing a little film edit to show people what its like?

They cant do stuff all if your hiking the mountain. Its a national park and free to use if your not riding the lifts.
They might have a case in regards to terrain parks, as they build/make all the features.
Although nowdays with the amount of snowmaking they do they might argue that they are providing the snow too smile
It might be a legal issue too regarding if you hurt yourself in the terrain park and havent bought a ticket. Your ticket has a disclaimer on the back of it. If you dont buy a ticket, are you able to sue them as you havent entered into a “contract” with them buy buying a ticket?

I was chating to a ski patrol guy at Thredbo who was a friend of a friend. (oh, the old “friend of a friend” i hear you say. Well in this case it really was smile
I asked what right do they have to take your ticket if your out of bounds. I asked if your out of bounds you arent in Thredbo’s leased area and thus they have no control over what you do, so what right do they have to take your ticket?
He said .... well really, we have no right to.
Only if they catch you coming back into the designated ski are can they take your ticket.

Edit: In this case i was talking about somewhere like Stanleys, where at Thredbo its outside the resort area. Im sure most resorts have out of bounds areas (gulleys with creeks etc.) within the resort, which im sure in that case the ski patrol could take your ticket.

Its probs since you have to get onto the lifts on bourke street to get to other runs if you’re arriving from the carpark. Theres no other way around it unless you hike from cattlemans all the way to the top.

golfpunklegend - 12 August 2009 09:49 AM

Its probs since you have to get onto the lifts on bourke street to get to other runs if you’re arriving from the carpark. Theres no other way around it unless you hike from cattlemans all the way to the top.

Wow. The lifties at Buller arent too bright then. Must be a Victorian thing wink
So all you have to do is get by one ticket check and you can ride the rest of the mountain free all day?
Thredbo they check tickets all over the mountain (although the T-Bar lifties arent as fussy)
They have also been scanning tickets this year at Gunbarrel Express and Kosciusko Express with handheld barcode readers. I guess to pick up dodgy counterfeit ones.

They do check them, just a little more lenient on how many they check.

nic - 12 August 2009 10:51 AM

They do check them, just a little more lenient on how many they check.

I dont think i ever recall being checked at other lifts. Maybe once or twice on the Wombat but other than that, if you’ve got something hanging off, you’re sweet.
If you arrive from the carpark, you pretty much have to catch holden express and blue bullet to get up to the top. So as long as they got people cehcking it there, i think its alright.
Theres ways around it but theres no need to let the whole world know :]

I little off topic I know but does it piss anyone else off that everytime you get on a lift some sweaty pimply arsed grom lifty hassles you about it(show me your pass,thats not you etc etc).....even after ive been checked 50 times already. Its really bad customer service to have someone argue their case everyday like they are doing something wrong, when they have paid over $1000 bucks to be riding there (or $100 a day)....I know that was a big part of many overseas resorts introducing electronic gates on their main lifts, so that their customers werent getting hassled nonstop just to try and catch a few ticket cheats.

ps: that was a whinge! haha

Well, it doesnt for me because its kinda hard for a liftie to know so many people that ride the slopes.
It reduces ticket cheats which means more money for the resort which also means that the ticket prices wont jump as high each year wink

golfpunklegend - 13 August 2009 08:52 AM

Well, it doesnt for me because its kinda hard for a liftie to know so many people that ride the slopes.

Last year one day at Thredbo there was an old guy blowing up at some young girl because she asked to see his pass.
It was a season pass tucked around his neck down under his jacket, so to her it didnt look like he had one.
When she asked to see it he started blowing up saying he showed her last time and made a big fuss and complaining about getting it out.
It wasnt like he was wearing a matching bright orange Analog outfit or anything. It was red jacket and black pants. Pretty common.
I could see she was a little frustrated about the fuss he was making but out of respect/politeness she didnt say anything.
I on the other hand couldnt give a stuff and cant stand people like that, so i just politely (and sarcasticly) said to him (and loud enough for his friends to hear) that she’s just doing her job and despite what he thinks, he isnt that memorable.
He gave me a dirty look but didnt know what to say and slid off.

EvanL - 13 August 2009 12:35 PM
golfpunklegend - 13 August 2009 08:52 AM

Last year one day at Thredbo there was an old guy blowing up at some young girl because she asked to see his pass.
It was a season pass tucked around his neck down under his jacket, so to her it didnt look like he had one.
When she asked to see it he started blowing up saying he showed her last time and made a big fuss and complaining about getting it out.
It wasnt like he was wearing a matching bright orange Analog outfit or anything. It was red jacket and black pants. Pretty common.
I could see she was a little frustrated about the fuss he was making but out of respect/politeness she didnt say anything.
I on the other hand couldnt give a stuff and cant stand people like that, so i just politely (and sarcasticly) said to him (and loud enough for his friends to hear) that she’s just doing her job and despite what he thinks, he isnt that memorable.
He gave me a dirty look but didnt know what to say and slid off.

Nice one. Thsoe are the sort of people who need that little ‘Oh’ moment of embarrassment

It would get a bit irritating after a while if you have to keep whipping out your pass but i dont think it’d be that bad.
Good onya evan for putting him in his place