The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Work/accom in whistler

YO YO

my girlfriend(nicole) and I are coming to whistler early november for the season .
tickets and my visa is all sorted(nicole is canadian)
looking for work . nicole wants hospitality , and im happy with anything.

as far as accommodation goes we are happy to live in any clean, dickhead free place.

We can pay for the seasons rent up front for the right place and rent deal.

any help would be fanfuckingtastic

cheers Benjamin Levi
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Hey Benjamin, welcome to Boardworld.

Accomodation will be the hardest to organise. Whistler books out very fast in regards to available rooms and beds. It will be even tougher this year because of the Olympics. That said, it will be awesome being there for the Olympics. Ok, let’s get you sorted…

Accomodation - here are your valuable resources…

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php

Check the Pique regularly. Click on classifieds then long term accomodation. Places go super fast so you need to be quick. Grab a $10 calling card or load up your Skype account and start calling suitable places as soon as it comes out. I think it’s every Tuesday but I could be wrong? Anyone?

http://www.whistlerquestion.com/

The Whistler Question. The other free Whistler publication. Check it out for sure.

Definately let the landlords know you are willing to pay everything up front, it will help you a lot. Have all your references and documents ready to go. Prepare a letter and send it around to landlords and property management companies.

For work start looking in the Pique and Question. Contact Intrawest through the Whistler Blackcomb website just incase they have something available. It will be very hard getting a job working for the mountain because all the hiring is done already for the Olympics, but you never know your luck. Call as many businesses in Whistler as possible, easier places to get jobs will be the small takeaway pizza places and other fast food outlets like McDonalds, KFC, Subway. There are lots of little shops around the place, call as many as you can. If you get in early you will have a good shot. The grocery stores at Creekside, Nesters, and IGA in the village are also a good chance.

There are quite a few Whistler locals on Boardworld also. Hopefully they will throw some advice your way. Good luck with the hunt and let us know how it goes.

Dont forget to check out http://www.craigslist.ca

be careful using that website as sometimes there are scams. Good luck buddy. Im here in Whistler right now, its going to be a shit show to find accom next season. Try to get a job for Whistler Blackcomb and get into their staff housing

Whistler Blackcomb aren’t hiring too many new people so staff housing will be a lot easier to get into once you get the job. If you are applying for a job with the mountain then that’s the best way to go. Some of the restaurants and clubs have specific accommodation for their staff but sinice it’s going to be the olympics next year it’s going to be even harder. Get a job with the mountain and you will be sorted

Yo Benjamin…

You mentioned your chick wants to get into hospitality??  I can highly recommend working at Dustys Bar and Grill down in Creekside which is where i worked last season. Best way to line up some work there is to hit up the jobs fair which is early Nov. Last year it was on the 1st i think?? Try and line up an interview with Hayley Cianca.. She’s the food and bev manager from Dustys. Super nice chick. Some the perks for working there is a free season pass for the hill, weekly tip outs (plus your regualr pay) and free food.

Defiantly worth checking out!

Dusty’s isnt opening next season due to the olympics

the olympics are going to be so harsh to creekside. im not stoked.

benj , all the advice given thus far is word for word what I was told prior coming to Whistler at the start of last season. Without being able to find a place prior to coming out (I had secured a job, my roommate Rob hadn’t), we still came out anyway.  Spent 5 days without a house and things looked a little shaky, but suddenly everything came together and we had a great season. No matter what your experience is coming up to the time your flights booked (whether you find a place/job from home or not) I urge you to come out anyway, spend the money on a cheap time-share rental (~75$/night, not bad over a hostel if split with your girlfriend, I recommend Whistler Club and Resort, quaint, not too flashey and clean) and seek a job / place to stay from that base of operations so to speak.. if that makes any sense?

I know many people find the best way to find jobs/places to live in Whistler is actually being here, dont get discouraged! come out anyway, the snow will fly, youll have a roof over your head.. if you try realll hard.

louise - 08 August 2009 09:07 PM

Dusty’s isnt opening next season due to the olympics

Dustys is only closed for the duration of the olympics.. They are open post and pre games… smile

After you guys mailed your working visa application with all the relevant documents + payment. How long did it take to get your visa?

Hey guys, this is a bit of a general question but how good would you have to be in order to be an instructor.
I have time to kill before my uni starts next year and was looking into doing a course somewhere overseas.

If you are talking Canada or USA level 1 the courses are quite easy in my opinion (Australia and NZ run on a different level classification). Your riding doesn’t need to be at a high level, as long as you can demonstrate and explain the material well. The riding you are teaching in a level 1 course is up to and including intermediate sliding turns, nothing complicated. You will probably have to fix up your technique during the course but that is a good thing anyway. What they are looking for is your ability to get infront of a class, explain the material well and with confidence, and to keep the class safe etc… If you have good communication skills I don’t think you will have any problem. The level 2 material is significantly harder.

rider26 - 11 August 2009 12:13 PM

If you are talking Canada or USA level 1 the courses are quite easy in my opinion (Australia and NZ run on a different level classification). Your riding doesn’t need to be at a high level, as long as you can demonstrate and explain the material well. The riding you are teaching in a level 1 course is up to and including intermediate sliding turns, nothing complicated. You will probably have to fix up your technique during the course but that is a good thing anyway. What they are looking for is your ability to get infront of a class, explain the material well and with confidence, and to keep the class safe etc… If you have good communication skills I don’t think you will have any problem. The level 2 material is significantly harder.

Alright. sick as.
Where would you recommend doing an instructor course?
Im in for both the thrills and the experience smile

It doesn’t matter where. All courses in Canada are run by CASI. All courses in the USA are run by AASI. Just go to whatever mountain you want to ride. Check out the CASI and AASI websites for the schedule of when they are at a particular mountain. You will also find information on courses and training material etc…

http://www.casi-acms.com/

http://www.aasi.org/01/home/Home.asp

Where would you like to teach? It’s a good idea to certify yourself in the country you are most likely to teach in. If you have any questions about snowboard instructing you are definately in the right place. I’m sure you will get a lot of good advice from the members on Boardworld. There are a few threads about instructing floating around. If not just start your own thread. smile

I was all about the idea but nothing on information or anything.
But looking at the casi website, i read that it doesnt take a lot fo time to become a level 1 instructor.
By becoming a level 1 instructor, is it easy to find as job straight after that?

Providing you have a work visa and impress in the interview (sometimes over the phone). You obviously are interested and excited about instucting, just make sure they know that. Tell them you are really excited to teach their guests how to ride etc… Be enthusiastic but genuine.

Thanks for the tip man.
I have to focus on my year 12 first and worry about that stuff later.
Do you think it’d be leaving it to late if i plan in november?