The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

How do you choose your new board?

Having read some posts in this section I thought about how i go about buying a new board.  Its nice if you can demo a board first but to be honest its not something i’ve ever done before, you don’t always have the time money or opportunity. 
I’ve bought about 6 boards in my life so far, most of the time i think i’ve done ok but i’ve messed up as well.
My opinion is that if you get the right lenght and the right style (park, freeride, bit of both) then you’re gonna end up with something that you’ll get on with alright.  Once i’ve got the lenght and type of board decided the main things i look for is whether the board is directional or not and whether the stance is setback and by how much. For me its a park board with a slightly setback stance (10mm roughly) and somewhere in the 154-159 range for example.

Just wondering whether other people on this forum use a similar method or if not how they select their new stick.

Of course being able to ride the board, or demo it before hand helps.
Riding a board that friends have is a good way as well to learn what you like and dislike in a board.

I think that buying a second and third board is much easier than your first. Because you then have something to compare it to.
You know you want a board that is softer or stiffer or shorter or longer, whatever.

Or you can always go for the cool graphics.

I use a simillar method to Aidy. I definately choose the size and type of board I want. It’s important to know what you want your board to do. I always make sure the board is capable of having the exact stance I want - over the years I know exactly how I like my stance, and if a board isn’t capable of having my exact stance, well that turns me off very quickly (this is one reason why I really like the Burton channel system). Personally I won’t buy a board unless it has a sintered base. I tried extruded once and it really annoyed me, I need something faster. Once I know exactly what I’m looking for, I will do my research and narrow it down to a few boards. I usually go with my instinct… most the times I’m right, but I have made a couple of wrong decisions also. I agree with snowslider, when you have something to compare it to choosing becomes much easier.

Yup Demo days are always a blast if you can actually get your hands on the equip you want to ride.  But other then that you all covered what I look for to, I tend to lean towards a little bit more narrow board my self as I have small feet and do not have to worry about over hang, I stick around 155 - 159 length free ride boards as I am no park junky, but still like to have fun. 

I also think grabbing the most expensive board in the shop and flexing it a few times is also a great way to find what you want.

There are a lot of articles that will help with questions like this, once the site goes live.
Inevitably there will be those who ask this question over and over. It’s not an easy question to answer.

I think that once you find out what company’s board you want to buy, it is a good thing to visit that company’s website and read about that board. Find out what style of riding it was intended for. Read about some of the technical features of that product and what makes it different than another board. I have learned a lot about boards and equipment from simply reading the companies websites and catalogs.

darb - 14 June 2009 04:47 AM

I also think grabbing the most expensive board in the shop and flexing it a few times is also a great way to find what you want.

most people would have no clue what they were looking for even if they did handflex it…

Well, lets talk about that…
Why do you see people always handflexing boards in the shop…
I do it too. but what the heck for?

I try to see if there is a noticeable difference between the nose and the tail’s stiffness.
I prefer a true twin: shape, core, flex, and stance - all centered and twin.
I drop the board on the floor and stand on it. Camber? No camber? I’m looking at nose and tail widths and how much scoop the tips have.
If I stand centered is it long enough, or too short?
I pick it up and flex the tail and the nose.
I look down it’s length to appreciate the side cut depth.
I lift it in the air and see it the light shines through it.
I hold it between my knees and try to twist it.
I place it back on the ground upside down and stand on the tips and try to pull up on the center of it.
I see if I can balance it on it’s side wall.
I run my fingers over the scoop of the nose and the tail to make sure they are smooth and symmetric.
I observe the center point between the side wall and metal edges of the board to ensure sufficient gluing between layers and overall board integrity.
I scan down the base of it to make sure that the factory wax is even and consistent.
I run a finger along the edges to measure the bevel is factory set on it.
Sometimes if I’m still excited, I’ll bite it just to make sure the base material is firm enough to withstand some rocks or something I may run into, like a groomer or a grommet.

The handflexing is funny, the term is so erotic.

But seriously, I think you adjust your style to the board you’re riding. Aside from very general characteristics with regards to length and stiffness, and maybe the character of the front and tail, I don’t think boards are really all that different! You ride it for the first time, and then over the next 60 days, your riding adjusts to the board.

I demoed a Custom and Custom X at Whistler, same length, same bindings, one right after the other. Honestly, in the three runs or so I got on each board, it was difficult to tell subtle differences. The Custom X felt mildly ‘more aggressive’, and somewhat torsionally stiffer than the Custom. Which one would I choose? I’d probably just flip a coin and pick one.

I want to add to this topic… I’m looking at buying a surfboard

Any suggestions for a newbie?

I can stand up and stay standing on a long board most of the time

Just Giver - 15 June 2009 07:59 PM

I want to add to this topic… I’m looking at buying a surfboard

Any suggestions for a newbie?

I can stand up and stay standing on a long board most of the time

This question requires a new topic.

snowslider - 15 June 2009 03:39 PM

Well, lets talk about that…
Why do you see people always handflexing boards in the shop…
I do it too. but what the heck for?

I try to see if there is a noticeable difference between the nose and the tail’s stiffness.
I prefer a true twin: shape, core, flex, and stance - all centered and twin.
I drop the board on the floor and stand on it. Camber? No camber? I’m looking at nose and tail widths and how much scoop the tips have.
If I stand centered is it long enough, or too short?
I pick it up and flex the tail and the nose.
I look down it’s length to appreciate the side cut depth.
I lift it in the air and see it the light shines through it.
I hold it between my knees and try to twist it.
I place it back on the ground upside down and stand on the tips and try to pull up on the center of it.
I see if I can balance it on it’s side wall.
I run my fingers over the scoop of the nose and the tail to make sure they are smooth and symmetric.
I observe the center point between the side wall and metal edges of the board to ensure sufficient gluing between layers and overall board integrity.
I scan down the base of it to make sure that the factory wax is even and consistent.
I run a finger along the edges to measure the bevel is factory set on it.
Sometimes if I’m still excited, I’ll bite it just to make sure the base material is firm enough to withstand some rocks or something I may run into, like a groomer or a grommet.

Why hasnt anyone called me out yet on how stupid some of these things on this list are?
I was trying to exaggerate a bit, but sound believeable.
but seriously… holding it up to the light? everything past that point is basically garbage.

hand flexing is pointless and a sure fire way to expose yourself as clueless to the shop employees.

snowslider - 16 June 2009 01:37 AM

Why hasnt anyone called me out yet on how stupid some of these things on this list are?

that`s because I just got here…You had me laughing right as soon as you said Hold it to the light… ohh

Dave99 - 17 June 2009 03:44 PM

that`s because I just got here…You had me laughing right as soon as you said Hold it to the light… ohh

Well, good than all that hard work payed off for something.

snowslider - 17 June 2009 09:53 PM
Dave99 - 17 June 2009 03:44 PM

Well, good than all that hard work payed off for something.

HAHA that list had me nodding then strangely shaking my head when i read about the light and remembered i have actually done that…but it was a burton T6 and you could see through it….looked crazy! (the board...not me when holding it up to the light!)

go to your local shop and talk to te staff that work there. just cos you have read something online that makes that board sound awesome, it may not be the right one for you or your riding style.
try demo boards if its available to you, or jump on your friends board to see what you liked and didnt like, then go back to your shop and talk to the experts.