The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Board Length

whats the best way to find out the best board length?
i heard people say that up to your nose is a good measure?
the snowboarding i do is just usual freestyle with not much heavy powder riding

forget what you have been told. weight is much more of a consideration than height. most people just use height as a very rough guide, but it’s not accurate in my opinion. think about this. 2 people, both 5’10, one weighs 30kg more than the other. if they both get on the same board, that board will perform very differently for both of them. what flexes the board, downward force, is determined by your weight. unless you are very tall or very short for your weight, height isn’t much of a consideration. board size also completely depends apon what type of riding you intend to use it for, and also how stiff the board is.

how much do you weigh? how tall are you? what type of riding will you be using the board for?

im about 5’10” and 60kg?
just general riding, mainly aussie slopes so not heaps of powder
a little bit of park riding as well

cheers for the help!

George Cant from Design Cartel wrote an amazing article for us about choosing the right board. His article will be published in the Setup and Tech section when we go public. He also wrote another great article on Board Characteristics and how they determine how the board rides. Definately worth reading…

you are 5’10 and only 60kg?

if thats the case something around the 153 mark would be a good versitile length for your weight for australian conditions.

switch - 13 June 2009 02:29 PM

he could be a tall slim girl?

either way , I want to see bikini pictures…. tongue wink

In my opinion weight is barely a factor in snowboard length as well. will two guys the same weight ride the same length of board if one rides in Southern California and the other rides in Jackson Hole? not likely. The type of riding you do, where you do it and your personal preference are what matters most.

Also, the shape and length of the boards nose and tail kicks can really through you off, if a board has a big tip and tail (like the unincs) you will have less contact on the snow for a given size than another board of the same length with a smaller tip and tail

So when choosing a board the width and flex matter much more than a couple cm’s in length in my opinion.

I rode a board that was a 154 with a longer length in contact with the snow than a 157.
Technically the 154 felt like a longer board, but physically it wasnt longer. But the material of the board that was on snow vs the material that was in the nose and tail was quite different.
My head diddnt want me to do it, but I chose the 154. I’m thinking about how the 154 isnt what I want because I had a 154 and I wanted a ‘longer board’. Well technically it was a longer board, but it still said 154 on it.

That’s what stickers are for.

hey cmat

im 5’11 and weigh 78kg. I ride a 158 for pow and freeride and a 153 for park shred… just as a rough guide wink

switch - 13 June 2009 02:29 PM

if thats the case something around the 153 mark would be a good versitile length for your weight for australian conditions.

sorry for not being heavy? haha, umm i run alot and that so yeah fairly skinny
cheers for the help switch and surferguy56

lol sorry i didnt mean it that way. was justing making sure those fisgures were correct because it will change the board size. see you are the perfect example of what i said in the first post. most people 5’10 would weight closer to 75-80kg. they would need a bigger board than you, which is why height is not a good guide to go by.

switch - 14 June 2009 07:51 AM

lol sorry i didnt mean it that way. was justing making sure those fisgures were correct because it will change the board size. see you are the perfect example of what i said in the first post. most people 5’10 would weight closer to 75-80kg. they would need a bigger board than you, which is why height is not a good guide to go by.

hah no worries…cheers for the help, looking for a new board and had no idea what height it should be but now i have a clearer understanding!

thanks

im about 5’10 and 72kgs
my boards vary between ‘48 (yes i know its tiny!) and ‘56 although if i got a new board for freeride i’d look around ‘59 or so
for park i think best length for me is a ‘54-‘55

switch - 14 June 2009 07:51 AM

no, they might need a STIFFER board, but not necessarily a bigger board

I recomend for someone who is buying a board for the first time to go by their weight as apposed to height. Remembering that when you are newer to riding a softer board will be better suited for you, I also find that a slightly smaller board is easier to ride. On the back of new boards will be a weight to size ratio, this is just a reference, I always go a little smaller than what is recomended for my weight.

If you already have one board and are looking for a second, work out what type of riding style you would be using the board for, whether is be park, powder or all mountain. Judge the size of your new board to you existing board. Do you like the length but want to be able to ride faster (go same length but stiffer in flex), do you want to start learning park (go smaller and softer), do you want to ride powder (go either longer and a little stiffer, or try out reverse camber around the same length).

Go in and talk to your local shop, the staff there will be able to help you choose the appropriate board for you. Remember that the board or length you friend tells you to get may not actually be the best board for you. We want you to have as much fun as we do at the snow, which is why we give you advice on what will be good for you.

I’m 6 foot 4 and about 86kg, my board is a 163. It is 3-4cm shorter than tshe height of mu shoulders. Too short?? Don’t know, only used it the once but it seemed to do the job. I generally go for the groomed runs looking for natural natural kickers and a little park.