The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Types of Wax

Hey I was wondering if any of you know the different types of wax to buy depending on the temperatures or snow conditions?

As well as the best places to buy wax for good quality and cheaper prices cool smile

There are two main ‘types’ of wax: hydrocarbon and fluoro.

Hydrocarbon is the regular type, also cheaper.

Fluouro has added fluorine, which repels water, making it much faster. Fluoro wax is more expensive.

Then you have the different temperatures within the types of wax. If you are riding in a variety of conditions, I would recommend you go for an ‘all temp’ wax. If you are riding in a particular condition i.e. spring slush, you could go for a specific ‘slushy’ or ‘warm temp’ wax. Waxes for colder conditions are a harder wax, waxes for warmer temps are softer.

I would always suggest you get wax from a snowboard shop.

SWIX makes every type you could want….but it costs a bit more than many of the others…and there are a lot of others…
No one brand seems to be the best ....Lots of people swear by Bluebird , One ball Jay, etc….Talk to your local shred shop

I always use SWIX all temp fluro (the blue one). Super fast!

Bluebird will sell you 5 lb blocks, but shipping might be a kick in the cunt. I use a universal temp for everything unless its cloder than -20C or warmer than 0 C.

I always thought that TOKO sold large quantities of wax for cheap, but I dont see they offer it in bulk anymore.
http://www.toko.ch/en/products_wax.html

They do have a good amount of information about waxing, and sell all the right tools.

I would definitely use a fluro wax. Much better glide and faster than standard wax. It does cost more but well worth the extra dollars. Your local shop should have iron on and rub on versions. Iron on is better but a rub on is good to have in your pocket to apply when the snow gets a little sticky.

ya I like the fluro wax.. I think I might get some of the iron and rub on.. the rub on is great for teaching and just touching up on the hill.

Nothing beats an iron on wax but its handy to have a rub on. Its great for when your on hill or ideal for when its not convenient to get an iron on. Rub on can also come in a spray on liquid form or paste. All of these will work to provide that little extra glide and speed when you need it.

SWIX something, the Blue one.

Its all temp and is really quick

Yeah that’s the fluoro universal. It’s basically all I use - awesome!

You can get it in bulk which is great for iron on. You can also get it in a rub on form with cork for buffing. Great to have in your pocket to apply during the day or when you don’t have time to iron on.

i saw the blue swix in a shop, but it was an aerosol?

can you still iron it in?

No you can’t iron the spray. The iron on fluoro is in a solid block.

Oh ok, ta!

Back home i used get the odds and ends left over from tuning other people’s equipment, busy shops often have leftover scraps you can melt together that they’ll give you as opposed to throwing away. Small bits are harder to hold to the iron but free is free!