The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Looking for work in Whistler BC

Hey everyone.. Im Mizu Kuma’s daughter, im looking for work in Canada this up coming season.. hopeing someone can give me tips, advise.. etc.. Ive only worked in Hospitality, and worked a previous season in Thredbo.. Finding it a little hard to find a job in Whistler, experiences, links, tips would be much appriciated = ).. cheers

just go there with 30 resumes in hand and canvas all the hotels and restaurants. stay at a hostel or even better couch surf. it’s a bit of a gamble but if you go at the right time, there’s jobs available. i think it took me a week to get a job (with no experience). Working in a hotel you will get between 4 and 5 days riding a week (2 days off and 2 or 3 mornings - work starts at 3pm)

Hi Baby Mizu. Welcome to Boardworld.  shaka

I guess we’re kind of like siblings because your poppa is my Holiday Dad. LOL

Anyway, as Gamblor mentioned, make sure you have a clear and complete resume ready. Whether you’re applying online or in person, it’s really important to have a solid resume ready.

When do you plan on arriving in Whistler? Will you be there all season? Would you be interested in working for the mountain? Do you have a house to stay in yet? Are you interested in staying in staff housing?

Let me know and I will get back to you with your options. I am more than happy to help you with whatever you need. There will be quite a few of us in Whistler so the Boardworld crew has your back. Also shaner is going to be starting a new thread very soon. He lives in Whistler full time and he will be helping Boardworld members find jobs and accommodation.

Hit me back and we will get the ball rolling.

Also check this thread (lots of good info in there): https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3053/

Hey brother from another mother = )..

I’ve got my resume set an ready.. I’ve been applying for jobs in Banff and have had a few opportunities to have interviews but i’m still waiting on my visa.. (its holding me back 6 weeks).. I want to head to Whistler asap hopefully as soon as my visa gets approved so around end of November.. I will be there all season if not longer to stick around to see the summer.. I would kill to work on the mountain but i have a good amount of hospo experience behind me from working in a 6star hotel etc.. Havn’t even looked at housing there was hoping for staff housing!..

Thanks a heep ; )..

An Gamblor that sounds like you got yourself a sweet job over there!.. i will deff take that into consideration if i cant set up a job before i leave aus. That amount of riding a week would do me just fine! = ) cheers

No problem at all. smile

When did you apply for your visa? Just recently?

To get into staff housing you need to work for Whistler Blackcomb. Arriving at the end of November could prove a little tricky, just because you will miss the job fair etc. I guess if you are getting there that late, you have the following options:

Do as Gamblor suggested. Print out a lot of resumes and go around to all the hotels and bars. Also head straight up to the Cabin at Base II (this is the Whistler Blackcomb employment / staff experience office). Drop your resume in there and see if they have any job listings. Jobs always become available however you don’t have the security of knowing you have a job for when you arrive.

Do your best to email potential employers before you get over there. Let them know when you are arriving, what experience you have, and shoot them your resume. However keep in mind, if you’re not working for the mountain, you will need to find your own accommodation.

Wait and see if shaner can find anything for you. I’ll email him now to see if he can help you. Maybe also shoot me a copy of your resume so I can get it out to some of my contacts. jeremy(at)boardworld.com.au

There is one other option. You could head over now on a holiday visa. You don’t need a work visa to enter the country. At least then you can go to the job fair and secure a job. Of course you can’t start working till it comes through, but you probably won’t start work till late November anyway. The visa should only take 6 weeks to arrive from when you applied. Anyway, when it does arrive, you just get a bus to Bellingham (just over the border), then pop back over to Canada. You’ll lose a day but it’s been done before.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I have sussed this out actually and working for Whistler Blackcomb they only except people with visas at the time they apply for work.. = /
Thought i left it a little late but hopefully it will all work out..
About private accom i’ve heard it is quiet hard to find a place so this will be another down fall.. So would be ideal to find work on the mountain i guess..
That sounds like an awsume idea going on a holiday visa untill my working visa gets approved.. though i don’t think i’d be safe going there without a job i wouldn’t be able to get off the mountain haha..

I’ll email my resume to you now = )..

Thanks for all the help an all, appreciate it heeps jeremy

Digging wombats hole Little Mizu…. You’ll be good at doing that lol LOL

Hope all works out Em cool smile

Lol your a tool brod get off my post = )..

But thanx nyway!.. might meet ya’s over there if you’s are going back..

Well if your going to be over there….... NO way lol

But yeah for sure sounds good, it be funni to ride with a little midget named eric bahahahahahaha

Hope to get over there yewwwwwwwwwwwwww

just be aware that working on the mountain means you get less riding time. Also, if you get into problems with the mountain you can get really screwed.
I knew a guy who lent his pass to a buddy, who got caught. The guy I knew worked for the mountain and lived in staff housing. He lost his job, was kicked out of housing and was black listed from all mountain jobs. He ended up leaving town. With your experience, have you applied to chateau fairmont whistler or the other 5 star hotels?

Hey Baby Mizu.
I’ve done 2 seasons in Whistler and I gotta tell u what I tell all my friends that ask me how to get a job and live there.
Unless money isn’t an issue for you… DON’T go there without having a job first.

Endless amounts of my friends have tried it. Some got jobs fairly soon but most go months without finding a job because there are SO many people trying to do the same thing. I know people who have gone there and never got a job, spent all their money in 2 months and then had to come home to aus cause they never found a job.
I’m not trying to freak you out I’m just trying to look out for ya. It’s a way better option to get a job first before you leave australia or if not then look for work at a different mountain.

If possible try and get a job with Whistler Blackcomb resort itself. You will get a season pass, discounts on almost everything and because it’s your first time there they will guarantee you a spot in staff housing (which by the way is ski in ski out   smile )

You said you worked at Thredbo. What job did you do?
If your interested in being a lifty it’s 4 days on and 3 days off to shred :D and I used to do it before I instructed so I can give u the Lift Ops managers email address if your interested.

Good luck! Let me know if u need help or have questions shaka

Hi Baby Mizu!!

So awesome that you are doing this!

I worked in Banff and went there with no job or housing - it was summer tho. (and granted this was over 10 years ago!! Eek i feel old!)

Most jobs in Banff come with housing - I worked at the Ptarmingan Inn in Banff and the Four Point Sheraton in Canmore (further from the ski resorts!! But I found it nicer in the summer less tourists than Banff) both jobs came with staff accom.

I also know that Lake Louise MUST over housing to every employee required by law.

If you have hotel experience (did you do any studying? I found that a lot of places were very impressed with my Hospitality Operations Cert from Tafe as they don’t really have any training like that over there) I would def look at applying for jobs at the all the Fairmont Hotels.

I would send emails - make phone calls and don’t actually say you are not there (unless they directly ask!) To all the hotels (go to a travel agent and get so brochures) google my friend google!

Personally I have done on snow jobs and off snow (ie Thredbo Alpine Hotel) and found i got more riding done when i had a mountain job as you get ski breaks.

Happy for you to PM if you have more questions - girl to girl. I went on my own overseas 4 separate times to different places not knowing a soul!

Gamblor - 20 September 2011 02:04 PM

I knew a guy who lent his pass to a buddy, who got caught. The guy I knew worked for the mountain and lived in staff housing. He lost his job, was kicked out of housing and was black listed from all mountain jobs. He ended up leaving town. With your experience, have you applied to chateau fairmont whistler or the other 5 star hotels?

Hahah Gamblor, im not that silly to lend a ski pass to other people.. = ) cheers for the advice though.. Currently on there websites for these hotels they have no work to offer that fit my experience.. (Manager roles)..

= )

Andy Aitken - 20 September 2011 02:21 PM

Hey Baby Mizu.
I’ve done 2 seasons in Whistler and I gotta tell u what I tell all my friends that ask me how to get a job and live there.
Unless money isn’t an issue for you… DON’T go there without having a job first.

Endless amounts of my friends have tried it. Some got jobs fairly soon but most go months without finding a job because there are SO many people trying to do the same thing. I know people who have gone there and never got a job, spent all their money in 2 months and then had to come home to aus cause they never found a job.
I’m not trying to freak you out I’m just trying to look out for ya. It’s a way better option to get a job first before you leave australia or if not then look for work at a different mountain.

If possible try and get a job with Whistler Blackcomb resort itself. You will get a season pass, discounts on almost everything and because it’s your first time there they will guarantee you a spot in staff housing (which by the way is ski in ski out   smile )

You said you worked at Thredbo. What job did you do?
If your interested in being a lifty it’s 4 days on and 3 days off to shred :D and I used to do it before I instructed so I can give u the Lift Ops managers email address if your interested.

Good luck! Let me know if u need help or have questions shaka

Hey Andy, i defiantly agree with you on this 1.. worst comes to worst if its the end of december and i’m still here in Aus without a job lined up in Canada i would go over handing resumes.. I worked at The Alpine Rydges Hotel, housekeeping!.. When i worked my first season my number 1 preference was Lifty work but i got offered a HSK job so i settled for that.. didn’t mind what job i got as long as i got shred time!..

Deff interested in that email address.. you can email it to me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ??..

Cheers buddie shaka

Oz girl,
I have applied for more than 15 hotel in Banff, all interested but they want my Visa details which i don’t have as of yet.. waiting waiting… = /..
Whistler i think would be more fun since i’m only 19 = ).. Im traveling on my own to!!.. Think its the best way.. I have Hospitality Cert 3 and have worked in a 6star Resort, and also Alpine Rydges Hotel!!.. I’d like to try an on the mountain job though especially to be working in all that pow over seas!!..

Thanks heaps i will hit u up if i have more questions = )

Baby Mizu - 21 September 2011 07:12 AM

Deff interested in that email address.. you can email it to me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) ??..

Umm, before you send any resumes to any prospective employer, please get a new (non-hotmail) email address. Even if you only use it to send resumes.

Preferably .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Gmail / local ISP / Live are all better than hotmail for professional purposes and can make it a lot easier to get interviews.