The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Newbie board advice… Now confused!?

Bought my own board first time this year too and went for something I could “grow into” ability wise. And tried a few at demo days to find out what type of board felt good for me and went from there.

ollie

PS.  The boots are as important as the board…...get ‘em fitted properly.

pazza - 22 August 2011 02:01 AM

Cheers for the feedback so far guys.

I am 5 ft 3, and weight a fairly light 60kgs.

I see my style mostly being the normal runs down the slopes, and as my experience grows i might try the park, but would not spend the majority of my time here.

Yea im pretty comfortable linking turns.

So far i have been on the mountain 5 times in 2 weeks. I spoke to a guy at Buller yesterday who was on a pickle and loved it, he was doing just the normal runs and said he knew a GNU rep (biased opinion probably) who said it was one of the best all mountain boards out atm.. however i often see this being called a park board.

Park boards work well in Australia. We don’t really have gnarly terrain or big snowfalls (at least not often). We have relatively mellow terrain and fun features all over the place, which is why park boards are good all-mountain boards here.

I don’t see too much of a problem getting the Banana or Park Pickle. Both will be super fun to ride. Although it’s important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of camber and rocker, and also flex patterns. If you have an understanding, you can make an informed decision based on your own preferences. As a beginner, if you get something with a lot of rocker, it can encourage bad habits because it makes turning the board so easy. I think the key is getting something relatively soft in flex, with only a small amount of rocker (if rocker appeals to you).

Camber provides stability, energy, and pop (more snap, bigger ollies etc). They carve and hold an edge better than rockered boards. They take more energy to turn but also provide more performance through the turn.

Rocker gives the board a ‘loose’ feel; they are easier to turn and the elevated contact points makes catching an edge less likely. Rockered board are fun to ride; they are playful and easy to press, butter and play around on. However they are less stable at speeds.

Of course if both of these options appeal to you, you could look at getting a board with a hybrid camber profile; utilising both camber and rocker in different areas of the board. Hybrid boards are becoming increasingly popular. I would recommend something like the YES Basic. Great to learn on and lots of room for progression. Rocker in the nose and tail for easier, catch-free turning, and camber between the feet for stability. It features a soft to mid range flex pattern which is perfect for where you’re at. This is the type of board I would be leaning towards. Can’t go wrong with it really.

At 60kg, I would suggest something around the 149 to 152 mark as a versatile board for riding in Australia. Shorter boards are easier to turn, press, and manoeuvre. Longer boards provide more stability and they float better in powder.

So there’s a bit more information for you to digest. Have a think about what I’ve said and please feel free to ask any questions.

Littlefrog - what board did you decide on?

Okay.. so from reading great responses full of great info for a newbie to this world of snowboarding i think starting out a Hybrid would be well suited and provide me something I can learn on and grow into!!

From my perspective.. something where I am not set back on the board but instead have a balanced stance (i know there is a term for this but cant think of it) is what I am looking for..

I def do not want to buy an entry level board but agree something mid level will be what im going for.

Went to Capital17 on my lunch break and spoke to the guy, he said a K2 weapon would provide what im looking for..

Keep the responses going guys!

Much Appreciated!

Honestly, I think the YES Basic would be the perfect starting board board you.

Let me know if you’re interested and I should be able to get it at a good price for you (provided it’s in stock). Keep in mind this is a 2012 model board (changed slightly compared to the 2011 model). I would recommend the 150.

EDIT: Just checking to see if any stores actually have it in stock. Looks like it was a popular board this season. Don’t worry, there are other boards to look at if it’s unavailable. smile

Tried the GNU pickle and B-Street (womens) last year and like both but ended up getting the BUrton G-Twin 146 (Women’s).  Only been able to ride 3 days so far this year but love it to bits and am glad I bought above my ability level. It’s more of a park board but still feels good on the mountain.  Not sure what the men’s equiv is.

Hope I’m not confusing you further.

Scrap that. There aren’t any YES Basic 150s left in Australia.

hey there,

your thoughts on a Burton Hero or Custom Flying V?

The Custom Flying V would be an excellent choice. Hybrid camber profile, midrange flex, sintered base. While it’s technically an advanced board in terms of features, it would still be a great board to learn on and one you certainly won’t out-grow. One of the most popular ‘do it all’ boards on the market.

The Hero is kind of like the Skate Banana; full rocker and soft flex. Great for park and jibbing around but won’t offer the stability and versatility of the Custom Flying V.

cool.. so reading up on the burton custom flying v.. it looks like it will def give me something to grow into.. a mid flex board which is well suited and something to have some fun on… now the questions remains.. what size do people recommend?

cool.. so reading up on the burton custom flying v.. it looks like it will def give me something to grow into.. a mid flex board which is well suited and something to have some fun on… now the questions remains.. what size do people recommend?

I’d say the 151 should be good for all around riding , since you’re pretty short and light. You can go up to 154 if you mainly freeride or ride pow. I’m 5’5” and 153 lbs (69 kg) and I ride a 153 (which is more like a 155 compared to my friend’s 153 of a different brand).

pazza - 22 August 2011 12:51 PM

It will be a good board to learn on, but you will appreciate it more and more as you progress.

I agree with Skip on the size; 151 would be the best choice, especially if you are mainly riding in Australia.

hey guys… looks like im going to try and get my hands on a park pickle… any noticeable differences between the 2011 and 2012? also what size would you recomend.. i am 5 foot 3 and weight 60kg’s 130lbs..

cheers

Probably 150. What happen to the custom flying v?

Check out fatima and eddies edit, pazza!!!!!

Eddie is ridin the flyin V!!!!!!

https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/3051/