The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Newbie board advice… Now confused!?

not sure what it is about the pickle.. i was initially drawn to it, it seems like it ticks all the boxes i am looking for.

checked the vid! looks pretty sweet! = )

pazza - 23 August 2011 08:38 AM

hey guys… looks like im going to try and get my hands on a park pickle… any noticeable differences between the 2011 and 2012? also what size would you recomend.. i am 5 foot 3 and weight 60kg’s 130lbs..

cheers

Not sure about the differences from 11 to 12. If there is it wouldn’t be more than a minor tweak or two.

I would suggest the 150, unless you’re growing quickly or intend to ride overseas. If so, you could step up to the 153.

You will enjoy the Park Pickle. It’s a really good board and you’re stoked on in - so enjoy!  cool smile

Forest Bailey riding the Park Pickle…

the Pickle comes in a 147 - given my heigh and the fact that my hire boards were a 140cm and a 146 you wouldnt recomend this instead of the 150?

No, I wouldn’t. The 150 will be a better all-round size for you.

I have no idea why the rental place would put you on such a small board. Their mistake really.

rider26 - 24 August 2011 03:10 AM

No, I wouldn’t. The 150 will be a better all-round size for you.

I have no idea why the rental place would put you on such a small board. Their mistake really.

Rental companies quite often put people on boards too short or too long for them because:

1. The person doesn’t know what they are looking for.
1a. This then means there is low pressure on the rental staff
1b. It also allows them to use boards that get lower amounts of use
1c. It also frees up 150-160 length boards for people who come in and are asking for a specific size.

2. The rental staff doesn’t know what they are talking about.
2a. They measure to your chin / nose
2b. They guess

3. The store is unequipped.
3a. They rent an inferior product
3b. They quite often guess your skill / riding type.

4. They don’t give a shit!!!!!

5. If they give you a board that doesn’t suit you, you may be more inclined to buy your own board for next time.  cool smile

6.They really don’t give a shit!!!!!

7. they suck

8. Big Ones

LOL

I agree with number 4 and 6 LOL
Not all rental shops are bad but MAN I have seen some shockers.

Example 1: *I’m teaching a class of high school kids*  “Hey Andy, why didn’t you tell us you can just pull the binding off with the boo,t instead of unstrapping all the time. That’s way easier… but how does it go back on…

Example 2: People I can only teach to ride on their heel edge because their toes over hang so far they simply don’t slide on their toe edge (rentals ran out of wide boards)

Example 3: “Are all your boots tight kids?” “Yes, but mine hurt, also they don’t fit these bindings” ........... “You have 2 left boots” or “2 right boots” or my favourite
“you have the left boot on your right foot, and the right on the left”.

And I have a million more of these stories

Poor newbies barely stand a chance man :(

cool - thanks guys, i can get my hands on a 2011 park pickle in 150cm, just want to ensure i am not missing out on something which the 2012 has.

Pretty sure nothing has changed except the graphics.