The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

bad knee!

Dan83 - 11 August 2009 11:10 AM

yeah, our best day in NZ was also the worst. Awesome pow at Cardrona sunshine in the morning then at lunch it was pretty much a blizzard. We waited around but the weather never came good so had to call it a day.

Shame man. I only found out that Mt Hutt was nicknamed Mt Shut after i had left and if i had found out before we booked the holiday, we probably would’ve had a change of heart…

yeah that sux. I hope you got a few good days atleast. We had 3 and a half out of 4 days good

I got a couple of good days in. Beats riding in aus i reckon.
I just hate the plane rides and then the car trip.

I’ve never been overseas but travel is all part of the experience. Some good , some bad but it makes for good stories

Seeing sheep everywhere doesnt make for an awesome story raspberry
well honestly, that very true Nic. Although we didnt do much boarding, i forged some great times there just relaxing in the room and we even did fishing for a bit

golfpunklegend - 12 August 2009 09:17 AM

Is new zealand actually that boring? haha. I’d so go bungeeing if I went there.

nic - 12 August 2009 11:11 AM
golfpunklegend - 12 August 2009 09:17 AM

Is new zealand actually that boring? haha. I’d so go bungeeing if I went there.

I personally wouldnt bungee. Im not a fan of crapping my pants.
New Zealands not that boring. Im the kinda person who likes just kicking back, chilling and bludging so its ok.
To someone who’s into city life and night stuff, i’d wouldnt recommend new zealand ;P

Bungee or sky dive?
Which one?

I’d rather sky dive definately.
I’d rather base jump than bungee.

We have a set up close to here that they call ‘Bridge Day’ a popular bridge in West Virginia that is over a river and they hold a lottery for those who get to bungee off the bridge toward the river. Super cool and they make a big event out of it.

http://www.wvbridgeday.com/

snowslider - 14 August 2009 02:34 PM

Bungee or sky dive?
Which one?

Probably out of the two I’d sky dive if that was the only one I got to do choice but definitely bungee at some stage.
That bridge day looks hectic, does it pull many worldwide visitors?

If im correct, skydiving is a ridiculously expensive hobby and you need to get a “license” or a training certificate or something before you can go skydiving and that costs a fair bit more.

nic - 14 August 2009 11:21 PM

Bungee or sky dive?
Which one?

Probably out of the two I’d sky dive if that was the only one I got to do choice but definitely bungee at some stage.
That bridge day looks hectic, does it pull many worldwide visitors?

It sure pulls from the region around the east coast here. I am sure there are international stories here and there, but I dont think it is that huge for internationals year after year. They keep talking about maybe having to stop doing it, I think the locals like it too much, and it is good for West Virginia tourism.

Bungee or sky dive?
Which one?

I’d rather sky dive definately.
I’d rather base jump than bungee.

We have a set up close to here that they call ‘Bridge Day’ a popular bridge in West Virginia that is over a river and they hold a lottery for those who get to bungee off the bridge toward the river. Super cool and they make a big event out of it.

http://www.wvbridgeday.com/

How many people get to bungee off this bridge?
from what i read off the website it sounded like 200,000 people bungee off it…

200,000 attend the festival. I’m sure a much, much finer proportion of people actually bungee and base off the bridge.

Ah foudn it, ~450 BASE jumpers who have been selected go off the bridge. Probably as many bungee-ers go as tiem allows.
Source: http://www.bridgeday.info/

golfpunklegend - 15 August 2009 01:49 AM

If im correct, skydiving is a ridiculously expensive hobby and you need to get a “license” or a training certificate or something before you can go skydiving and that costs a fair bit more.

rules may be different in your area, but in the US for your first jump, you must go tandem, and be strapped to an instructor. I dont know how many jumps like this it would take to be let out on your own… I dont think you have to be certified, but there is a certain level of experience you need before you can jump all alone. Not attached to another person in some way.

As for the number that jump…
In the FAQ it says

Typically, about 300 BASE jumpers will leap off the New River Gorge Bridge during Bridge Day, the only day that jumping from the bridge is permitted.

BASE Jumping
Not just anyone can leap from the bridge: jumpers must register months in advance and must make 50 prior skydives or “BASE jumps.” BASE is an acronym for the four types of fixed objects from which they may leap—buildings, antennas, spans, earth. Jumpers must show up several days before the festival for gear checks and mandatory meetings.

This year’s jump events include a diving-board launch, a trampoline launch, and packing exhibitions. The jumpers will also be competing for accuracy, and you’ll be able to watch them careen down 876-feet to the banks of the churning New River.

______

I’ve never attended this festival, but it is commonly talked about.
But a trampoline and a diving board launch to spring off of??? crazy.