The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Yoga and you

Hey all,

So I noticed in a lot of the posts in the health forum that the census says yoga is a great practice to add into any sports enthusiasts regime.  I know for my self that practicing yoga has change my life.  After numerous knee, back and joint injuries from ice hockey, snowboarding and just crazy drunken foolishness my body has started to notice some aging… just some, as I dont want to sound old.

So the question is where is it there everyone is going to yoga.  I am privileged to work for a company that provides free yoga to the community and also sends me out into our community to try out new class’s at different studios.  Why do you practice, what made you try it and why are you practicing where you are.  Most of all how has it affected your life, are you able to partake in the favorite sports still?

If you have yet to try it and think its for hippies I assure you its way more of a work out then I ever thought it could be.  Feel free to ask anything and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers

I am really looking forward to starting yoga, and I have been meaning to for a while now. I will definately try the Bikram hot yoga in Bondi Junction. I really like the whole concept of being in a hot room to loosen the muscles and sweat out toxins. As soon as I free up some time I will start, and I will let you know how it goes.

They are a really great studio.  Bikram is one of the hardest things I think I have actually done.  Make sure that you listen to the instructor and know your limits.  Dont try to compete with anyone.  (Yoga is more about finding your limits not beating others)  I recommend before jumping into Bikram try something a little less intense.  Our store does free class’s on sundays at 9am all you need to do is show up its pretty cool and a great way to start off.

After my wife has the baby in a few weeks, we may do somethign like this - it would be good for the both of us, and it’s not too late to start thinking about getting back on the hill. The season doesnt start here for us until about November, if we’re lucky.

Check this link so cool tips about snowboarding and yoga and how they work together
http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/yoga-for-snowboarding/?cid=homepagesnowboarding

Thanks for the link Brad. I’ve been saying it for ages, but I really need to start soon. As soon as I get some spare time I will get off my bum and into yoga.

That stretch/exercise looks like a real good one! Tried it out and it works the quads well, good for balance I reckon. Thanks

darb - 03 February 2010 02:08 AM

Check this link so cool tips about snowboarding and yoga and how they work together
http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/yoga-for-snowboarding/?cid=homepagesnowboarding

Hah, good old lululemon.

I’m on the yoga bandwagon, too. In October 08 I came off a full 8 months of shredding and started an office job. Before I took time off to shred my job was office based, but I moved around heaps during the day. Not so any more, I’m living in a cube farm! It took about 6 months for my neck & shoulders to really start aching, tension and muscle soreness were no fun.

I’m exactly sure what finally convinced me to give yoga a try, but I’ve always been terrible at flexibility and I figured that if all yoga gave me was the motivation to do a regular stretching routine then it couldn’t be a bad thing. Rolled into lululemon and bought myself a mat and a DVD, and now I’m sold. Neck pain is gone, my shoulders are starting to loosen up (which is a big thing, it’s like I have rocks in my neck!), and I really enjoy the feeling of just being able to turn the world off and do this. 9 times out of 10 I’m in a better place after I’ve taken the time to practice.

I’m not sure if I’ve seen any direct benefits in my riding, but any extra core strength/stability and general flexibility can’t be a bad thing.

Now all I need to do is get the nuts up to go to a class every once in a while. My balance is awesome, but flexibility is still crap and I get a bit embarrassed about that.

Good on ya Enn Zed,

I say hit up a class, I have horrible flexibility but find at a class you get motivated to go a little deeper into a pose and you have a instructor that helps you do it all properly.  If you can just stop into a lululemon they all do free yoga class’s in the store at least once a week and its designed for all levels.  If you in Syd join me at the bondi junction store every sunday morning at 9am.  If you have a questions just ask.

A few years after I stopped dancing I began yoga as part of stretching for sport.

As I got deeper into it the benefits are amazing.
Surfing - without doing a 10min routine before hitting the water I’m a gumby, with it I dominate.
Snowboarding - You know the term “In the Zone” well that’s were Yoga puts me. Focused, loose and relaxed.
Health - torn calf muscles, I was on the board in 5 days. First and second day riding without aches and pains. FLEXIBILITY & STRENGTH yoga allows me to have a much younger body than what it is.

The most important thing it does is puts my mind in gear with my body.

I couldn’t be as active as I am without it.

Oh…  I do it at home, on the beach or wherever.

yer lulu lemon is awsome 2 of my housemates work there in the Whistler shop, good place i go to a few seshs a week a great place to start learning if you ask me.

yeah, yoga really is the way to go. I recently became a yoga teacher and get to travel the world and teach yoga an surf! Money sucks but my life rocks. If you want to find some yoga in your area check out http://www.yogafinder.com as they offer a list of studios across the world. And if you ever want to step it up and take your practice to the next level check out http://yogatrainingguide.com

As you start with yoga remember that your breath is the key to good yoga. Most people fixate on the movements but the reason the body is so tight is because no oxygen is flowing that way and therefore chi or in the yoga world “prana” aint flowing. So breathe deep and steady and this will help your yoga practice.

Hit me up if you need any other advice I love to help newbies!