The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Your worst injury at the snow

As thread title says what’s the worst you’ve ever done. Broken a leg? Split your head? Post below.

Mine was in at my accommodation falling down stairs that someone had left ice off their boots at the top. Just a nasty headache and some bruises.

Separated both my shoulders (AC joint). Right shoulder at Whistler (Jan 06), left shoulder at Thredbo (July 06).

broken scaphoid (wrist) slowest healing injury i have ever had, sucks big time

Dunno if this counts, because it wasn’t really an injury, but I was at the snow with it:
Had surgery to remove a pilonidal sinus/cyst (over the tail bone, and they let it granulate (ie, no suturing, just remove a wedge of tissue and leave it to heal over the next 3 months).
That was just before I ever went snowboarding - fell pretty heavily on my ass as you could imagine..

Both shoulders in the same year, that must have been average. Bummer about the slow healing wrist. I had my knee’s cartilage redone (they used some glue method because I’m still young) a few years ago and that was a slow process back to where it once was as the glue took a long time to bind the cartilage.

Scaphoid.
Still got a screw in it to this day.
Doesnt give me any troubles though…... touch wood.

Im not sure about the medical term for this but basically, my coccyx aka assbone got dislocated by catching an edge on a rail and it hurt to sit down or bend down.
I then had to get manual treatment for about 2 weeks straight

Broken and fractured wrist (radius). Was heading down from Smiggins Escape towards the Intercepter Chair. Trail was like boarding on marbles. Caught my back edge, which twisted me around and stupidly put my wrist out. SNAP! I knew straight away I had broken it.

6 weeks in a cast, and I still don’t have full movement. Sucks, but that happens! The radius moved toward the middle of my wrist which is preventing movement.

nic - 02 August 2009 07:17 AM

Both shoulders in the same year, that must have been average.

Yeah it sucked. I was out for 6 weeks each time.

Probably the worst thing was landing shin first on a rail and splitting the skin off my shin….didnt break anything but needed 28 stitches, when i first did it i somehow convinced myself it was just bruised (just like a kick in soccer or something) and i rode for another hr,when i got home and looked my white thermels were stained bright red…..unrucky!

CRACKERS - 02 August 2009 11:26 AM

Probably the worst thing was landing shin first on a rail and splitting the skin off my shin….didnt break anything but needed 28 stitches, when i first did it i somehow convinced myself it was just bruised (just like a kick in soccer or something) and i rode for another hr,when i got home and looked my white thermels were stained bright red…..unrucky!

That must have killed! You managed to ride for another hour? Your pain threshold must be heaps higher than mine, lol.

I’ve actually heard that same thing happen a few times. Rider smacks shins, keeps riding until they realise their pants are soaked with blood. It’s really painful to hit your shins on the rail, so it’s easy to just assume it’s bruised. Probably a good idea to check it out after you have an impact. I’m sure you won’t make that same mistake again CRACKERS. wink

thats bloody horrible man.
kudos for riding the other hour though….

Fractured my spine in 2 places. Hit by a skier who didnt leave a gap in the terrain park last Friday.

nic - 02 August 2009 06:37 AM

As thread title says what’s the worst you’ve ever done. Broken a leg? Split your head? Post below.

Mine was in at my accommodation falling down stairs that someone had left ice off their boots at the top. Just a nasty headache and some bruises.

LOL
lodge pimpin’ aint easy!

nic - 02 August 2009 11:35 AM

That must have killed! You managed to ride for another hour? Your pain threshold must be heaps higher than mine, lol.

That is a serious FEAR. I wore some soccer shin guards a couple times when learning to ride rails, and I was thankful that I did.

My worrst injury wasnt my shoulder / AC joint that we had talked about in another topic, because even thought I have a bump / knot on my shoulder, everything still works right.

The first season I was wearing a helmet I was cut off by a skier (but I was going too fast in a slow area) and it turned me toeside, I caught a heel edge and slammed my head on hard snow. My neck still feels it, and I worry that when I’m 50 it will be that much worse.
At times I feel my neck need to loosen up and sometimes pops, like if you would pop your knuckles. ugh. no fun.

All in all, I feel fortunate to have not hurt myself any more than I have.