The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Best 1st day Snowboarding cure?

Poll: Best way to counter 1st day snowboarding pain
Total Votes: 34
Stretching
Hot Shower
Electric Blanket
Never stop boarding
Other

What are your best methods to cure the subtle yet noticeable pain after an abscene from the snow

I found two on my recent trip to NZ:

Stretching in a hot shower
Electric blanket - does wonders for the muscles overnight!

And no.. drinking is not including as a remedy

I don’t really gt to sore after an absence, unless I’m having some heavy falls of course. Might be because I wakeboard and skate when I’m not on the snow.

But when I do I just shower and relax raspberry

I think stretching is the most important. From experience a good stretch is what minimises muscle soreness and keeps you more prepared for the next day on the hill. I also find the more you ride, the less sore you get. After a week on the snow I barely feel anything unless I take a bad fall.

I can also suggest you read the article on warming up and cooling down. The article is written by Becky, our Boardworld Physiotherapist.

https://www.boardworld.com.au/content/category/warm-up-cool-down/

There are also stretches in the same section to look through. I also must question how good it is for your muscles to sleep with the electric blanket. I would think this has a negative result. While it may feel good while you are lying there, it works against the removal of Lactic Acid (which makes your muscles sore). This is why athlethes go for a cold swim after performing, your muscles contract and squeeze out the Lactic Acid.

NEVER STOP! smile

Asif drinking isn’t an option, just numb the soreness and worry about it when your leaving the snow.

Stretching is important, but HYDRATION is important as well,
I answered ‘other’.
being in shape beforehand is the best prevention.
I’d say stretching and hydration and good nutrition would all be next.

drink and stretch at the same time…

A warm shower always feel good but I try to stretch a bit in the shower. Hydration is a good point I always feel dehydrated at the end of the day which is maybe why sometimes I get cramps. I am going to drink more water through the day now. Does anyone use those Camelback backpacks?

Voltaren the night before your first day. Rub some on the usually sore muscles after a day of riding.

I try and take it easy on my first day back.

Onsen.

wink

Hydrotherapy = better then hot shower. Its basically a mix between cold and hot water, that gets the blood circulating between your internal organs/core and your skin. Google it, its very effective and you can do it on your own shower. Similar to footy players taking cold and warm baths.

Stretching is good too. Certainly most of the aches I get are a result of lost flexibility.

Wearing compression garments can help as well.

I find having a sauna and doing some light stretches and keeping the fluid levels up help me prevent doms.
And I also try to do extra leg work outs in the week or two leading up to my first day to help condition the legs that little bit more

a handful of nurofen plus and then a nice massage.

Tobi - 08 July 2009 11:42 AM

Onsen.

wink

i concur!

I dont see alcohol on the list? smile

Part of the criteria was no alcohol raspberry

JacksonDice - 07 July 2009 07:23 AM

And no.. drinking is not including as a remedy