The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Protein!

Anyone ever take protein before or after a shred? Seems like a good idea seeing as boarding sometimes is a hard workout.

I always try and have one of these every night whilst at the snow!!!!!

I used to smash a bottle of protein and Powerade at the end of a shred. Just unflavoured, pure whey protein isolate powder and Powerade or even water. Just what your body needs after a long day on the mountain.

EDIT: Holy crap that looks good, Mizu!  drool

whey protein is king.

but after snowboarding thats the alst thing on my mind. its usually beers and spirits im thinking of.

my mates swear by Optimum nutrition 100% whey protein.

im currently using bulk nutrients whey protein. ausssie company based in Tassie hell quick postage and pretty cheap

http://www.bulknutrients.com.au

This stuff is the bomb: http://www.purenutrition.com.au

Check out their Whey Protein Isolate.

sh!t thats not a bad protein!

never been in to the buff shakes myself but powerade does pretty damn well I think.

Might try whey protein out!

Also I agree about the powerade, Nothing taste better than just chillin out in the room after a huge shred and just hammering one down haha

I never have. I only ever take protein in combination with weights training program. Even then a lot of it goes to waste, as the average diet has sufficient protein in it. Just when you take it with work outs it is more easily absorbed by the body when using whey isolates.

Snowboarding is mostly muscular endurance, so replenishing your energy stores through carbs is going to be more benificial to make sure you perform the next day. Gatorade is going to be good for a carb and mineral boost. Main thing is that you eat reasonable servings of food and have plenty of fluids (water). I’m not one to preach, as all I do is drink lots of beer, and eat mostly 2min noodles when Im up on weekends, but at the same time, I do drink shit loads of water.

Most proteins will have carbs in the drink too, so if anything I would have the protein drink as a snack/meal replacement.
Eitherway, not gonna be detrimental, just I think an extra expense.

Ok I’m one of those guys who drank protein shakes like they were going out of fashion for a few years.  Personally I prefer the Horleys Ice Protein, used to taste good to me, I have some other stuff at the moment that is to sickly sweet tasting for me.

I don’t totally agree with K2 in regards to the average diet having enough protein, but that would all depend on what your goals are.  For the average punter whose just going up the hill to have fun and isnt a gym junkie I don’t reckon a protein shake is a prerequisite.  For someone that has them already and wants to preserve muscle mass then yes, I think they are warranted.

When I was training hard I was aiming for 300-350grams of protein a day, eating a 450g tin of tuna per day actually yields just under 110g of protein so you can see how hard it is to get to 300 let alone 350grams which is why protein shakes come in handy.  The good thing about protein is that it requires more energy for your body to break down than carbs so your very unlikely to store it as fat.  Ideally a snow diet would be highest in complex carbs in the morning with some protein, a good balance of complex carbs and protein for lunch and personally I would go with mostly protein and vegetable carbs for dinner.  You could also use this as daily diet plan just modifying the sizes or frequency based on expected calorie expenditure throughout the day.

With that said a protein shake with simple carbs right after you finished boarding definitely couldn’t hurt.  The simple carbs like sugar/glucose create an insulin response which delivers the protein to the muscles rapidly.  This is somewhat important if you believe conventional wisdom that says the best window to consume protein for muscular growth/regeneration is 15-30 mins or thereabouts after strenuous activity.

Just a quick one for those of you who may not fully understand the way the body reacts, your body requires energy, energy comes primarily in 3 sources, protein, carbs and fats.  Once your body has used whatever is in your stomach and you are still at medium to high aerobic workrate eg: snowboarding, your body produces a hormone known as cortisol which breaks down muscle into amino acids which are then converted into glucose for energy.  Some fat is also used in this process as well.  Once your body has finished exercise it needs to rebuild the muscle and it does this with protein hence the reason why protein would be of benefit.

Hopefully that gross oversimplification makes some sense.

Ok, the way I said it probably doesnt properly explain what I think about it.

I agree with what you said totally nthnbeachesguy. If you have specific goals of protein intake which you are striving for, then definately protein shakes are the way to go. And especially if you are already taking protein as apart of your training regime. If you are focusing on strenght/conditioning & muscle growth with your regular training, I would definately be taking protein after a days snowboarding. Well I would probably have it after each main session. Say straight away as I finish before lunch and at the end of the day. And like you said it is best to have it within 30mins of finishing exercise to best increase the amount of protein synthesis occuring. And I always take carbs with protein to enhance that more.

I think more the way bliss asked the question made be assume he wasnt really planning on taking it with the same goals in mind as you do. I could be totally wrong, and its just that bliss didnt go into much detail with his question, and my fault for assuming. But I would not say it is necessary to be taking protein after snowboarding, just because “sometimes is a hard workout”. I wouldnt personally take protein after going for a 10km run. But if I was in a weight training phase, and then did a 10km, I would be taking it.

Ive been trying to look up some studies which might help support either side of this, but most studies looking into how supplimentation effects protein synth are to do with resistance training sessions that are more anaerobic in nature (ranging from 6-12 reps of 3-6 sets in nature with 1-3min rest periods. Your usuall ‘gym’ stuff). Would love to see something that looks into it in a way that can relate to snowsports a bit more. Yes there is a lot of concentric, eccentric and isometric contractions involved, but it is over a lot longer time (say runs can range from 1.5min to 10min) with both small recovery periods (during runs) and long recovery periods (lifts and inbetween runs), over a whole day.

haha what a ramble I’ve gone on. but yeh, nthn, I do agree with where your coming from.

haha the last two posts are pretty much what i wanted to write….but im lazy and couldnt be bothered!

got my new package of maltodextrose last night. makes my protein and BCAA’S taste better!

do you 2 take any preworkout supps? liek jack3d/black powder?

deanobruce - 05 August 2011 12:38 AM

haha the last two posts are pretty much what i wanted to write….but im lazy and couldnt be bothered!

got my new package of maltodextrose last night. makes my protein and BCAA’S taste better!

do you 2 take any preworkout supps? liek jack3d/black powder?

From what some of my mates have told me Testosterone Propionate mixed with some Trenbolone Acetate is an awesome preworkout supp although Arnold would argue till his blue in the face that Dianabol and milk is best MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In general, if you have a high activity level or wants to build muscle (or recover in this case) it’s best to aim for 0.8g - 1g per pound bodyweight. 350g protein seems way too much unless you’re a 250lbs competitive bodybuilder. Generally after a workout or any exercise for that matter, you want a quick acting carbs (sugars basically) and protein to replenish your glycogen store in the muscle and start protein synthesis. Also quick acting carbs also take advantage of GLUT4 transporters that are at the membrane. Basic function of GLUT4 is just to transport glucose to muscle cells.

skip11 - 05 August 2011 05:55 AM

In general, if you have a high activity level or wants to build muscle (or recover in this case) it’s best to aim for 0.8g - 1g per pound bodyweight. 350g protein seems way too much unless you’re a 250lbs competitive bodybuilder. Generally after a workout or any exercise for that matter, you want a quick acting carbs (sugars basically) and protein to replenish your glycogen store in the muscle and start protein synthesis. Also quick acting carbs also take advantage of GLUT4 transporters that are at the membrane. Basic function of GLUT4 is just to transport glucose to muscle cells.

I’m 6’3” and weighed 245lbs with low double digit bodyfat %, so realistically I was at around 1.5g per pound.

Ah I see, you’re pretty big, that seems like a reasonable amount then cool smile

For me personally, I think 1g/pound is enough tried going to 1.5g-2g/pound didn’t notice any difference (I’m 5’5” started off at 125lbs 4 years ago, now I’m 150-155 lbs)