The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Jumping back in the deep end…literally i guess

Before i took time off due to lack of time (work+tafe+builders licence) i was going to the gym 5,6 days a week, running etc. so was fairly fit.

well since then 3 years has passed and thought, f*#k it. time to get fit again so i joined a gym like 1 min from my house. At first i was only going to join up for the pool but after seeing there gym setout i got the bug again so got a full membership.

So last night was my first time there, thought “oh yeh, i will just swim some laps since the gym is being renovated till saturday. i used to swim at state level so i will be sweet”

ohhhhhhh no i wasnt. after a few hundred metres i was completely buggered, tried to power on but nah. no deal. the entire way home (which is like i said 2 minutes but felt like and hour) i was so close to spewing i had exerted myself that hard. the only other time i have done that is after a wicked legs session at the gym and after one kickboxing session at 530am.

So had to swallow my pride and ease off the intensity/distance i swim until my fitness is back where it was.

Damn getting old sucks blank stare

Good that your getting back into it though. Like you say just back off the intensity a bit with your swimming and do a little more interval work to start with until you build up your stamina again to be busting out lap after lap for an hour.
I find swimming very hard to build up my endurance in if I dont swim weekly. More of a sprinter in the pool (even still not really that fast). I find swimming a struggle as I get bored. At my pool at school where I swim, I find I have to set up a stero pool deck so I can listen to music while I swim. Most the time I give up and jump in a kayak and practice my roll and work on my playboat skills after 20mins anyway :lo:

I know exactly how you feel. I used to do swimming training six days a week, training in the surf, competing in both swimming and surf lifesaving. As happens with most people, I went on a break for a few years as the routine was getting boring and I had new interests in my life (travelling, snowboarding, partying etc.). I’ve always been used to being able to swim/surf for as long as I want (our sessions used to be 90+ minutes at a fairly intense level).

Anyway, after hopping back in the pool/surf after a few years away from training, I was amazed at how much fitness, stamina, and strength I had lost. I’m about to start swimming again and I’m not looking forward to it. I know I’m aerobically unfit right now but swimming is such good exercise and I’m looking forward to getting some fitness back.

Also before I left for Canada last year, I spent three months doing Bikram yoga a few times a week. I was really bad when I started but in three months I gained so much fitness, not to mention strength, balance, and flexibility. I’ll be getting back to Bikram soon too.

I was keeping a bit of a blog over my first 10 sessions if you’re interested in having a read: https://www.boardworld.com.au/forums/viewthread/1071/

haha your pretty much the same as i was, i did surf lifesaving, surfing, constant training etc.

my missus is going to get into yoga, i downloaded a few dvds to see if she is interested so may give it a shot.

cheer will def read your blog.

Deano is your avatar a real photo of you?

hahaha mate if i looked like that i would be saving for lipo, not boarding in tahoe!

im thankfully alot skinnier than that. im about 80kg

I haven’t done any fitness since I left Whistler and am also going to start swimming to get some fitness back. Even though I felt really quite fit by the end of the NH winter, cause I haven’t doen anything since I am really not expecting much from myself. After reading your post deano I think I will definitely take it easy the first few goes haha. Good luck getting back into it deano and Jeremy. We need to get fit for the shred!

Ive been training hard for the Shred. Different sort of training though billy

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 05:51 AM

Hahahahahaa!!!!! Yeah, my drinkin arm is buff also!!!!!! I’ve had that in trainin for years now!!!!!

im going to do some of that training tonight haha

so i started training properly monday morning. at the moment just trying to get my fitness back up so only really running,cross trainer and bike so far. i feel better at work and during the day than usual! i dont get tired around lunch and just feel more energetic.

Its had a positive effect on my girl who now gets up at 530 with me, i head off to the gym and she does the pilates/yoga whatever else fitness programs she asks me to download for her.

Going to concentrate on what im doing so far fow a few weeks then start getting back into the weights. need to go get some protein and BCAA’s then i will start going nuts with the training.

All in all, so far so good.

good on ya, deano. Sounds good! I hope to get a bit fitter once I’m out of this damn boot…looking at doing a tumbling/trampolining class as a fun way to do it till I broke my foot!

Good shit deano!!!!! You’ll be back into ya favourite red shorts before ya know it!!!!!

sounds good Deano! Stick with it Mate!
Hey Cords- how long till you have 2 feet again?

Mizu Kuma - 30 June 2011 11:10 PM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 30 June 2011 05:51 AM

Hahahahahaa!!!!! Yeah, my drinkin arm is buff also!!!!!! I’ve had that in trainin for years now!!!!!

What else happens with that drinking arm O.o

State of Origin tonight… My drinking arm is going to get a good workout!