The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Which boarder(s) do you think are underrated/overrated?

The Arena looks so good! Actually I might buy a copy today when I go into STM. Thanks for reminding me.

Personally I appreciate all types of snowboarding. Really depends on the mood but they all deserve respect. Those urban shredders are killing it (i.e. Lucas Magoon, Hard To Earn)!

skip11 - 30 June 2011 02:54 AM

Mark Landvik (I think one of the only few guys who can hang with Travis in the backcountry)

i was going to say landvik at the start of the thread but dont know why i didnt…man is a machine. rice videos pretty much epitomise what i like in a video. granted not everyone has a budget like him…

Gamblor - 30 June 2011 01:43 AM
deanobruce - 30 June 2011 12:50 AM

im going to go ahead and agree with you 300%, i need back country, airs, tree riding and a lil bit of urban

< high five >

high-motherf*#king-five

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uRTwmkcuus&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Landvik…..dunno about the riding cos I can’t get over the fact he’s so annoying!

alright, after watching that re-edit, I’ll take back saying he sucks. I still don’t like his riding though

Gamblor - 30 June 2011 12:04 AM

How about Terje, nico, gigi? raspberry

I rate Terje pretty much above all (well, except maybe Craig Kelly, RIP) - not just for his effortless style when riding, but for his commitment to snowboarding.

. . . those ‘urban’ vids are so boring. whoop-di-doo he did a boardslide 8 different ways on the same rail, from the same camera angle. then he got angry and threw his board…sooooo rock n’ roll

100% agree.

Watching a guy boost a huge b180 = timeless

My vote’s for a perfect method - poetry in motion.

I can’t believe what I’m reading. It’s so good to hear from snowboarders who think before they talk.

I was sure when I saw this thread it was just going to be 100 posts saying Shaun White is overrated. And there wasn’t one bad post for him. He’s not my favourite rider or anything but I got so sick of listening to people on chairlifts hating on him just so they can act like they know something about snowboarding.
Apparently Boardworld kills ignorance, nice.

I totally agree Seb Toots is underated. I would love to see some of these competition kids in more movies too. I think the reason we don’t is that they are focused on competition and moving up the TTR ladder etc. Filming video parts not only takes time but they will be hitting a lot of big/gnarly jumps and rails of weird shapes and sizes. That makes it alot easier to get injured and mess up their plans of finally winning that comp they have had their eye on.

Hopefully most will get tired of the pressure of competing after a while and then start making movies. If that happens we are going to see some epic vids grin

Also underrated - What the hell happened to Boarder X??
I can’t remember the last time I saw Boarder X on the net/tv anything!

I’ve been waiting to see a post about this but i haven’t so i’m going to say, Staale Sandbech definitely has some talent and a ton of talent for a 17 year old especially! I think he’s definitely underrated

Yep there is so many scandinavian kids who are killing it just as much as seb toots, Mark mc morris and eric etc, but most haven’t even heard of them!
Ståle Sandbech is one for sure - gjermund bråten is another.
Agreed about Landvik - the guy is amazing.

Andy Aitken - 30 June 2011 06:53 PM

I was sure when I saw this thread it was just going to be 100 posts saying Shaun White is overrated.

just tall poppy syndrome, what he has done for snowboarding, in my opinion, is equal to michael jordan and basketball, mike stewart and bodyboarding, tom curren/kelly slater to surfing. he has brought it to the masses, so to speak, and brought with him more $$$ and coverage.

But with that comes companies ready to suck the sport dry just to please shareholders, makes resorts more packed, prices potentially go up etc etc.

Its a double edged sword i guess…

While many people don’t like Shaun White for his slightly pompous attitude of late, he is most definitely still worthy of the $$$ that he acquires!!!!!

The guy rips!!!!! And no one can say that he doesn’t!!!!!

@deanobruce: I think Terje is more like the MJ of snowboarding.

I don’t think Shaun White is overrated at all. Just look at all his accomplishments (granted it’s pipe and slopestyle only). I think once he started doing big mountain people will respect him more.

Also I think MFM is a bit underrated, maybe part of it is because of the tech9 image I don’t know.

skip11 - 01 July 2011 02:21 AM

not a chance.

to you, me and other boarders yeh he is. but noone got exposure for snowboarding any where near as much as shaun white.

Craig Kelly? He brought snowboarding into the media in the 90’s. But yeah, I agree Shaun White has brought more publicity to the sport than anyone else.

deanobruce - 01 July 2011 03:55 AM
skip11 - 01 July 2011 02:21 AM

not a chance.

to you, me and other boarders yeh he is. but noone got exposure for snowboarding any where near as much as shaun white.

I don’t think its that far off the mark, it depends what angle you come at it from. Terje had a much bigger impact in Europe.