The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

APSI Level 1 / 2

Hey Guys, I am thinking about taking the level 1/2 courses being offerred later this season at Buller and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what the level of riding/knowledge that was required to pass the courses??

Hey Steve1, welcome to Boardworld.  cool smile

I’m just looking at the APSI website now. It looks like they’ve finally changed their courses and options. It used to be that you needed to have a job with an Australian resort before even attempting the level 1 certification. The APSI level 1 used to be the equivalent of the CASI (Canada) and AASI (USA) Level 2.

It looks like they now offer a standard level 1 course in line with level 1 in Canada and the USA. Their old level 1 cert is the new level 2.

Anyway, are you currently working at Buller? Have you taught snowboarding before? If you’re a competent snowboarder, and you can demonstrate and explain the course material, you should be fine for the level 1.

The APSI Level 2 course could be a different story. There isn’t much information on the website so maybe get in touch with APSI directly. I’m guessing there is a prerequisite of teaching in Australia before they allow you to take the level 2 course/exams.

While the content and techniques will be different, this video will give you an idea of the level of riding and teaching required for Level 2 (the video is CASI 2).

Thanks man, yeah I don’t currently work up at Buller or have taught snowboarding before…..

I have read the course content on the APSI website and as I am currently working as an instructor (different field - not related to snow in any way) and understand the teaching component.  I wouldn’t say that I am a great snowboarder.  I can get down anything in Australia (not saying much I know) with relative ease and learning, this year, to ride the larger features in the park.

Thanks for you help man!! I will definitely get in touch with APSI.

Certainly give the level 1 course a go. It will introduce you to the skills and techniques etc. Don’t rush your level 2; when you’re in the level 1 course, ask them questions and get them to give you an idea of what the level 2 material covers. That way you will be better prepared and they should give you feedback as to what you need to work on and if they think you will pass etc. You’re definitely taking the right step. Don’t rush your levels otherwise it can be frustrating and you might end up disappointed.

There’s quite a few instructors on here. If you need any advice or have questions, you know where to find us. smile

Hey Steve,
I’m CASI (Canadian) certified but I have worked plenty of seasons in Perisher Blue and got the low down on APSI from other instructors I worked with.
I would definitely recommend taking the level 1 exams, by the sounds of your riding and experience instructing (what ever you were instructing) you should do fine.
APSI levels used to go - Entry level, 1, 2, 3   now Entry level has become level 1 and the levels go 1, 2, 3, 4.
APSI level 1 is made to be easy to make sure the resorts can have enough instructors every season, so if you do a hiring clinic and get a job at a resort they will train you up and give you every chance to pass.
The level 2 on the other hand shouldn’t be taken lightly. From what I have heard there is a fair gap in skill and knowledge between level 1 and 2 in the APSI.
Also I personally feel you should have at the very least 1 season of riding and teaching as a level one to consolidate what you have learned, improve your riding and explore the teaching methods you have learned before trying for the next level. And most teaching systems recommend if not insist on it.

So my advice is take your level ones (brag to us on boardworld when you pass) and practise everything you’ve learned in your first season as an instructor (riding and teaching) and worry about level 2s later. When you first start teaching there is so much to learn, take the time explore every aspect you can.

Good luck bro ollie