The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

New board beginner / intermediate

I’m looking to buy a new board after using rentals the last few years. I pretty much just cruise the mountain and do a few jumps and 180s and plan to venture into the park in future so i wont a good board that i can progress on. Any particular board that springs to mind? i was looking at:

Rossignol Taipan
Ride control
Sierra crew
K2 brigade

i’m about 6’ and way 65kg so i’m thinking about a 155 would suit me is this correct?

I’m looking on the house and trusnow cos i want to get a board thats pretty cheap. What other online stores should i be looking at that ship to Australia?

thanks in advance

Hey frankfurts, welcome to Boardworld.  cool smile

You could probably get away with riding something slightly shorter in Australia, especially if you’re going to be venturing into the park more often than not. If that’s the case and you’re only riding in Australia, you can look at something around the 153/154 mark. If you want something more versatile that can also handle powder a bit better, than a 155/156 is fine. It also really depends on the actual board as different camber profiles and flex patterns ride differently.

You’re best off picking the board that suits your needs, budget, and that you’re stoked on. From there you can select the size that is best for you. There are so many good brands and good boards on the market and you’re best bet is buying a board categorised as ‘all-mountain / freestyle’. An all-mountain / freestyle board is going to give you the most versatility; works well on the mountain and equally so in the park.

I’d suggest you look at our product guide and see what best suits your needs. Narrow it down to a few then we can discuss the differences. Start here and work your way down the left menu: Snowboard Product Guide.

You will find overseas websites will not send any leading brands to Australia, as they aren’t allowed to do so. I understand you want to get a good deal so I would look at Australian stores with sales on 2010 snowboards. Nearly all stores have discounted 2010 snowboards by 40% or more. There’s some really good deals going around.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I’m liking the look of the arbor formula and also the rome reverb rocker, so where is the best place to get one for cheap i was having trouble finding the reverb rocker? Like you said i might go for a 154 since i will probably only use it in AUS and NZ. I’m really just after a budget but good all round board. Thanks for the useful information i shall continue my research

Ok ive narrowed it down to either the rossignol taipan or the arbor formula has anyone had experience with either of these boards? i was looking to get a 153 would this be ok? And also what bindings would be good to suit either board? Sorry for all the questions but my knowledge is limited.

I’m not familiar with the Rossi Taipan but I think the Arbor Formula will be a good choice for you. No problem with 153. I’m 65kg and I usually ride a 152 in Australia, 154 overseas.

rider26 - 28 June 2011 05:43 AM

You will find overseas websites will not send any leading brands to Australia, as they aren’t allowed to do so. I understand you want to get a good deal so I would look at Australian stores with sales on 2010 snowboards. Nearly all stores have discounted 2010 snowboards by 40% or more. There’s some really good deals going around.

Rider’s spot on here, frankfurts.

Besides the good deals on 2010 models at the moment, the main reason you should buy your board from an Aussie store is because it’s your first - and the advice you’ll get from a knowledgable shop dude will be invaluable.

Honestly, the chances are good that you’ll find a slightly cheaper deal from the States - BUT you miss out on the opportunity to check the boards out in person. As it is, you’re probably limiting yourself to boards they’ll ship from the US to here, and I’d bet that if you buy from an Aussie shop, you’ll end up walking out with something completely different - and that you’ll be ten times as stoked on.

Yep, have to agree with the guys here… find a board that has been discounted in Australia and buy here. Buying overseas can be good if you find a really good deal but you have to know what you want. Go to a store and try flexing some boards. IF you can, go to a demo day and try some out…

Few pointers.
1. Rossi tend to sponsor free give-away boards which tend to be cheap.
2. They do have some good ones though.
3. Arbor seems to be a very environmental brand… I haven’t ridden one of their boards though so I can’t comment.
4. Check out the main brands. They are easy to find and often go cheaper on older models. Rare brands like Arbor will not drop in price unless they just don’t sell
5. Main brands to check out: Burton, Forum, Lib Tech, GNU, Capita, Stepchild, K2, Signal, Yes, Nitro and some more…
6. Buy from a main brand for your first board. If you want something more specialized, you will know once you have been riding for a while…

A local shop will also take into consideration your boot size when selecting suitable boards, and advise on appropriate boot/binding/board combinations.

ok cool thanks for all the help guys i’ll head into town and see what they have available.

I’ve found boards from the States are usually less that 50% what they are here, and come to about 40% cheaper after delivery. Your call.

My boot size is 9.5 so will i be fine on a board that is 246mm wide? I’m starting to like the look of the Flow team board it looks awesome and seems as though it will be good to cruise the mountain on.

Yeah you should be fine with 9.5s.

frankfurts - 29 June 2011 02:29 AM

My boot size is 9.5 so will i be fine on a board that is 246mm wide?

Same here, no probs.

I’m starting to like the look of the Flow team board it looks awesome and seems as though it will be good to cruise the mountain on.

Hey dude, I’ve been riding 17 years, instructed for 5 of those. I’m not really qualified to comment on brands of snowboards as I’ve had a pretty strong allegiance to one brand in particular, but I have had some experience with Flow snowboards, so I will comment in this instance smile

Disregarding P.O.S. rental boards, Flow are the heaviest, most lifeless board I have come across. My friend had one and it was having a negative effect on his riding. I made him sell it and still feel guilty today that it was passed on to someone else. We should have burnt it. Don’t get me started on the rear entry bindings….

This was two years ago, things may have changed.

Good luck with your purchase.

my missus hired a brand new flow board 2 years ago. she couldnt ride for shit that weekend and i was astounded at how she had lost all the skills she had…until she rode a different board and was back to normal?!

. i dont understand how a board can have that much of an effect on her riding but it did…

I tested the Flow Scotty Lago 153 a couple of seasons ago. It wasn’t that bad but certainly not one of my favourites.

My Bro bought a 2011 Flow Quantum and a 2011 Yes Typo while in the states and he rode the flow like twice and it has sat in the cupboard since and nobody wants to touch it.

Seems their boards just aren’t cutting it from the response i’ve heard.

Sick graphic though lol.