The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Thredbo 2011

Click on the Brittish flag. It wall be in English then

Did that! But it kept changing back to German… ??

I eventually gave up.

Ah yeh, just tried then. When ever you move from the home page it changes back. Bummer

Just seen this on snowboardermag.com.au

THREDBO Terrain Park Update #1
Friday, 10 June 2011 00:00

Charles Beckinsale sent us through what is sure to be the first of many Thredbo Park Updates for the 2011 Winter..

Unofficial Thredbo Park Update 2011

The Park Crew have been busy over the last few weeks building 6 new park features and repairing the Jib Fleet that now consists of over 30 features. There is now new perspex on all of the Boxes as well as new panels, plywood and paint jobs to give the older features a face lift.

DC have sponsored the park crew uniform again for Winter 2011, DC and the park crew have worked together on 3 of the 6 new features. Look out for the DC wall ride, C Rail and the down flat rail.

The park grooming team has also grown, Chris Ingham from Park City will be joining Parker Bohon from June Mtn and Tristan Bates from Heavenly. Myself and Sam Towers will be heading up the Park Department along with a solid day crew of 8 team members to make sure the parks are in mint condition day and night.

We plan to have 2 small early season parks going for opening weekend and we will keep adding features as snow allows.

We will keep you updated over the season with photos and a run down of whats in and whats happening.

For now enjoy the pics of the new additions.

This new feature sure looks interesting…

An old favourite gets a make over.

The wall ride and ironing board get some new perspex and a paintjob to match.

A brand new C rail, sure to drive many insane attempting to master it.

Some new rails added to the fleet. Who doesn’t love a donkey dick?

What do you guys think of the new Thredbo Park features?

Mizu Kuma - 09 June 2011 10:30 PM

Did someone fahrt???

Clever.

K2_SnatchCrewSader - 10 June 2011 12:35 AM

It annoys me that “park” once meant jumps, but now it’s mostly rails and boxes. If there’s jumps, it’s usually a showcase line of larger kickers that the majority of punters wouldn’t even contemplate, and neither my knees nor my balls can handle that anymore. I’m all about meticulously maintained sharp edges (and keeping my knees intact), so parks are mostly a waste of time for me.

I get it though - it’s largely about resort PR. You can get a park up and running a lot earlier and maintain it easier if it’s all been made in a warehouse prior to the season - and the more impressive the features, the more bragging rights. Most jumps don’t really cater for the average punter though, and that’s a shame.

chucky - 10 June 2011 01:05 AM
Mizu Kuma - 09 June 2011 10:30 PM

Did someone fahrt???

Clever.

I’m glad that someone else smelt it!!!!!  LOL

chucky - 10 June 2011 01:22 AM
K2_SnatchCrewSader - 10 June 2011 12:35 AM

It annoys me that “park” once meant jumps, but now it’s mostly rails and boxes. If there’s jumps, it’s usually a showcase line of larger kickers that the majority of punters wouldn’t even contemplate, and neither my knees nor my balls can handle that anymore. I’m all about meticulously maintained sharp edges (and keeping my knees intact), so parks are mostly a waste of time for me.

I get it though - it’s largely about resort PR. You can get a park up and running a lot earlier and maintain it easier if it’s all been made in a warehouse prior to the season - and the more impressive the features, the more bragging rights. Most jumps don’t really cater for the average punter though, and that’s a shame.

I totally agree with your points chucky.
I wish parks made more jump based features, and not just massive booters. progressive jump lines as well as more things like rollers and mini hip type features. Things that are more like natural jumps and features. And things that everyone cant hit.

I agree too!!!!

Surely there are enough open runs to shape a few varied natural type hits??? I for one prefer the ones that are grooved out around the snow guns etc!!!!

Last seasons High Noon park was pretty empty at the top, due to the size of the kickers!!!!!

And Merrits was as packed as usual, so that was a real turn off too!!!!

Spring at Merrits though, had a great line up through the playground that everyone from punters to pros were enjoyin!!!!

i for one am looking forward to the big ass kickers this season!

but agree, there are days when i really dont want to go near a rail/box cause i dont feel like hurting myself*

*i understand i am just as prone to getting hurt on jumps as rails etc. but soem days im just not in the mood to come that close to steel and either cork myself,hurt my tailbone or head.

I REALLY wish Thredbo would reinstate the tight boardercross run they used to have every year running through Merrits. It was by far my favourite part about Thredbo in the 90’s. These days they may have a few half-arsed berms, but that’s about it.

The Playground was the bomb! they did a great job of building on the natural hits.

Funnily enough it’s in the Playground where a young Charles Beckinsale did lap after lap, day in, day out honing his skill and putting hidden rails in the trees because KT were against having rails in the resort. Now look what they let him do!

spaz - 10 June 2011 03:23 AM

The Playground was the bomb! they did a great job of building on the natural hits.

Know what’d be great through there - a setup similar to Burton’s “Stash”, but with more focus on jumps. That whole area is perfect for sidehit after sidehit!

chucky - 10 June 2011 06:21 AM
spaz - 10 June 2011 03:23 AM

Know what’d be great through there - a setup similar to Burton’s “Stash”, but with more focus on jumps. That whole area is perfect for sidehit after sidehit!

Last spring had half dozen jumps with a few features scattered throughout the playground!!!!

For some unknown reason they didn’t run it through peak????

On the drive to cooma yesterday I heard the SnowFM snow report. The word good was used many times for Thredbo - good cover, good snow, good boarding…

When I read the official Thredbo report the same term popped up - “good”.

I had a “good” time.
but…
These conditions are NOT “good”, there is NO cover and riding is on a poor base at best.
There is no point putting any extra work into this vid.