The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

safe falling techniques

So I’m definately what you’d call a beginner having only boarded for a week in Feb, but so stoked to be going to NZ in a couple of months and really looking forward to pushing myself and progressing.

My main goals for this season is to work switch and start with some small jumps jumps and 180’s. Of course I’m under no illusions that I’m gonna spend a whole lot of time eating snow… Just wondering if you guys have advice for safe falling. I don’t mean common sense stuff like “don’t put your arms out in front of you” etc.. more like do you guys try to tuck in and stay rigid or do you go loose and roll with it….

Might seem like a silly question to ask, and I know every situation is gonna be different, but some general advice to mitigate injury would be good.

Cheers ^_^

When you fall you will put your arms out!!! There is no avoiding it. Telling someone not to is the most useless advice. Wrist guards, wrist guards, wrist guards until you are in the habit of keeping a fist (broken knuckles are better than broken wrists). Carry something in your hands can help.

You might get the picture I’m trying to paint here > PROTECTION

The injuries I’ve mostly witnessed are;
1. Broken Wrists.
2. Dislocated (trailing) shoulder.
3. Broken/bruised Tail Bone.

The falls you have will give you the experience to know whether to go limp or not. Mostly it will come down to how exhausted you are, or how stupid - don’t try to launch a 30 foot jump until you can ace every jump from 1’ - 20’ first. < oh I’ve seen it, every year!!!!

staying loose and rolling with it lessens the grunt of the hit for me- Definately recommend wrist guards, they probably kept me in sprained fingers as opposed to breaks the first few seasons

I might be sounding like an old man here but the best way to avoid injuries is to avoid high energy crashes, sudden crashes and crashes involving metal and ice. 
On the first high energy crashes: you said you wanted to learn jumps, 180 etc, sounds like a good plan.  A lot of runs/trails have banks at the side.  You can carry your speed up the bank treating it a little like the wall of a halfpipe and do your trick at the top of the bank when your not going too fast and if you land then you zoom off again down the bank.  If not you’ve bailed when you’re not going too fast and as a bonus it’s usaully softer as less people ride that bit.
Sudden crashes:  this is really about avoiding catching your edge.  Try learning spins on the snow (you never leave the ground, just spin round on your board) as these are a low risk and useful skill for normal and freestyle riding that will save you bags of pain and injury down the line. 
Metal and Ice:  avoid park features that you’re not pretty confident on, leaps of faith are fun but come at a price!  Box’s are sweet though and you never run out of tricks on box’s.  Regarding ice, just keep an eye out and try and spot it in advance so you don’t get caught out.

I’ve chucked in a lot there so if any of that needs clarification just pop up a post.

snowdragon - 24 May 2011 11:44 PM

staying loose and rolling with it lessens the grunt of the hit for me- Definately recommend wrist guards, they probably kept me in sprained fingers as opposed to breaks the first few seasons

I was going to say staying loose but I’ve had worse skeletal injury from that because of the force of impact.
Going tense has caused muscle and ligamant damage.

Maybe I’m just getting old.

That wont work dragon!!!!! That guys on skis!!!!!

Phew.. been in Bali for a few days… Totally massaged out but got a touch of the dreaded Bali belly…....

Anyhoo, thanks for the replies all.

Aidy I like the idea about using side banks to wash off speed smile

Snowdragon.. do you give lessons?? I like your style smile

Cheers,

Sure . . First lesson- The tree always wins, its the braches that lose!
smile

Dont do what Donny Dont does….

Excuse the vid qualiy….. This was me on my 2nd day of being on a snowboard and it hurt….

Me landing on my head :(

AJ2theC - 15 June 2011 09:14 AM

Me landing on my head :(

http://youtu.be/XYRZT7OCs94

I’m not going to comment on your judgement but you’ve certainly got some skills!

hahaha i remember seeing this when you posted it on ausrotary. takes some balls to attempt that!

Hahaha, ouch.  tongue wink

Hahaha nice AJ. Backflip to flat, you should ride for Technine. That’s brave man :D

Looks worse than it was…note the snow I shoveled for a landing. ..