The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

will it be too late to learn?

so i was going to go to camp this summer to learn how to snowboard and because of money issues, i have to wait till next summer so i’ll be 17 when i learn. i really do want to become pro. i want to be a pro snowboarder and always have wanted to. so if i learn at 17, is there any chance i’ll be able to get pro through the years if i really put my heart to it?

Honestly, it’s never to late to learn snowboarding. With talent and dedication, anything is possible. Dave Downing started snowboarding at the age of 21 and was a top pro well into his late 30s. That said, I would strongly suggest you not put so much pressure on yourself. First and foremost, snowboarding should be fun. Don’t worry about where you want it to take you. Just enjoy your time snowboarding and see where you end up. If you want to make a career out of it, make sure you have fall-back plans. Get involved in the industry, learn the business side of things. Most top pros aren’t just good riders but they understand how to work the business side of things. But yeah, if you’re dedicated and work hard at it, you can certainly achieve great things; that goes for anything in life. All the best of luck to you.

Yeah, I didn’t start snowboarding till I was in my 30’s and, well….......... I suck at it big time still, but I also love it!!!!!

If ya really love what ya do and put the time into it (Maybe my major downfall), like rider said, YOU can achieve anythin!!!!!

Another thing that rider said about gettin into the industry, you will be with like minded people that can help to push each other, and help to increase ya skills a lot faster than if ya went up the mountain on ya own!!!!!

Get involved in every aspect, and don’t worry if y a “newbie”, there will always be people willin to show ya the ropes, and you’ll also end up makin lots of snowboarding friends!!!!! It will soon take over ya life, as ya can see how it does with some of the crew on Boardworld!!!!! And ya will be well on ya way to your goal!!!!!

So, you’ve never even tried snowboarding and you’ve decided you want to be a pro? When I was little I wanted to be a pilot. Then I went to school and found that I totally sucked at math.

Like the others said, just go and try it and if you like it, just have fun. If you really love it, you’ll do whatever it takes to snowboard more. The more you ride, the better you get and if one day you’re good enough to go pro then cool.
Just don’t get depressed if you can’t throw corked 7’s your first season.

thanks mizu and rider(: