The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Niseko 2017

Yeh looks like I’ll be there from the 8th to the 16th for a short but sweet little Niseko trip. Not long now.. we’all also be doing 9 nights in Tokyo prior to our snow trip, staying in an air Bnb. Anyone else running any Air BnB in Tokyo?

I finally got myself a new board bag, and a bunch of new gear. I’m most excited to try out my new Capita x Spring Break Powder Pill. It seems to be a bit of a mystery board, as it was only run for one year, but the small handful of feedback I could get was that it was pretty incredible in the deep stuff and really fast everywhere else. Gonna take that over along with my Fyve Mayhem 157 hybrid camber, as I’ve already done a couple niseko runs with it and it’s super fun.

Bring on the holidays! Oh and Jonesy make sure you hit up the little corner cafe when you’re in niseko, best coffee and crepes you will find in town.. enjoy!

@The Blind Kid Bring on the holidays indeed! I’m soooo stoked on this trip and counting down the days. I’ve thrown down on a heap of new gear from the BW store that I can’t wait to break in! (Thanks again to @rider26 for your help with the purchases).

I’ll be sure to check out the recommendation of the little corner cafe, coffee and Crepe’s sounds like the breakfast of champions! Where abouts in Hirafu is it?

Seems there’s a few of us that will be in Niseko mid Feb ( @Fritzl @Chondro ) so we’ll have to organise a few drinks one evening grin  I’ll be arriving there Sunday 12th Feb so I’ll probably post on this thread closer to the date an see who’s keen for a drink or 2 in that week - and up for a shred of course too as I’ll be a new to Niseko and keen to get the low down on where the best POW stashes/terrain’s at!

@Jonesy I’m pretty much packed apart from the jocks I still need to wear between now and then ?Keen is an understatement for sure.

@Jonesy @Fritzl

Haha yeh it’s a little sad but I’ve been packed for about 5 months now.. haha.

On a slight side note - Good news for us is that the Jap Yen is finally falling a little - when we booked our trip around 6 months ago it was around the $1aud to 73Yen, now we’re sitting around $1aud to 81Yen. Hoping that by around Jan/Feb we will be closer to the 90’s again. Fingers crossed! Lets just say that paying whilst it was 73 cost us a small fortune compared to the last time we were in Japan!

Jonesy, you can’t miss the cafe. It’s right on the bottom corner of the main street that leads up to the main chair lifts and the gondola in grand Hirafu. From memory, it’s right next to Rhythm Snowsports. There’s also an epic little hidden Whiskey bar called Gyu, that you enter through a small fridge door not too far down from the centre of the village. If you don’t mind a little whiskey here or there, then that’s a must visit.

Also, I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised as to the size of the mountain. It’s HUGE.. We spent 2 weeks in Niseko the first time that we went, and didn’t even get to visit half of the mountain. So get pumped for a ton of tree runs, and also some late night boarding (some of the best fun is at night in my opinion as it’s empty and there’s powder stashes left right and centre haha).

Yew

@jonesy Count me in on some drinks and a shred for sure.

We are in countdown mode now less than 4 weeks to go.
Pretty stoked to be heading over, got some mates coming from time to time which will be good too.

If anyones down for a beer or a shred over there hit me up, ill be floating around doing fuck all except drinking and snowboarding anyway.

Jonesy - 20 November 2016 08:28 PM

(Thanks again to @rider26 for your help with the purchases).

It’s a pleasure, @Jonesy! ?

The Blind Kid - 20 November 2016 10:05 PM

@Jonesy @Fritzl

On a slight side note - Good news for us is that the Jap Yen is finally falling a little - when we booked our trip around 6 months ago it was around the $1aud to 73Yen, now we’re sitting around $1aud to 81Yen. Hoping that by around Jan/Feb we will be closer to the 90’s again. Fingers crossed! Lets just say that paying whilst it was 73 cost us a small fortune compared to the last time we were in Japan!

Jonesy, you can’t miss the cafe. It’s right on the bottom corner of the main street that leads up to the main chair lifts and the gondola in grand Hirafu. From memory, it’s right next to Rhythm Snowsports. There’s also an epic little hidden Whiskey bar called Gyu, that you enter through a small fridge door not too far down from the centre of the village. If you don’t mind a little whiskey here or there, then that’s a must visit.

Also, I think you’re going to be pleasantly surprised as to the size of the mountain. It’s HUGE.. We spent 2 weeks in Niseko the first time that we went, and didn’t even get to visit half of the mountain. So get pumped for a ton of tree runs, and also some late night boarding (some of the best fun is at night in my opinion as it’s empty and there’s powder stashes left right and centre haha).

Yew

Cafe has gone kids!

That little building on the corner that was the original ABuCha has been demolished and they’ve built a huge multi-storey story building that houses a funky bar, restaurants and the Burton store from memory.  All new this season.

The coffee at the bar at Iki is pretty good (opposite the entry to the supermarket/ATM).

I’ll be around 11th-18th Jan and 20-30th March this season.  Have fun guys.  Make smart choices.  shaka

LMB - 24 November 2016 10:33 AM
The Blind Kid - 20 November 2016 10:05 PM

@Jonesy @Fritzl

Yew

Cafe has gone kids!

That little building on the corner that was the original ABuCha has been demolished and they’ve built a huge multi-storey story building that houses a funky bar, restaurants and the Burton store from memory.  All new this season.

The coffee at the bar at Iki is pretty good (opposite the entry to the supermarket/ATM).

I’ll be around 11th-18th Jan and 20-30th March this season.  Have fun guys.  Make smart choices.  shaka

Yep, Crepe Shop gone!!!!!

I was more devo when A Bu Cha went!!!!! Sukiyaki was the bomb, and the bakery was sooo good!!!!! A Bu Cha 2 is (was, might be okay now?????) a let down!!!!!

Sorry to say, but GYU+ isn’t the same either!!!!!

Want Whiskey, if you get a down day go into Otaru for Ramen and then Beers at Otaru Brewery, then head into Yoichi on the way back, and go to Nikka for a few free ‘samples’!!!!!

I’ll be in Kutchan from 13th-20th, but not sure how much of United I’ll be riding????? Mostly Annupurri if anythin!!!!!

My pick in Hirafu for a feed is Yo (if you have a group, and a decent amount of coin), or for a cheap feed go the Soup Curry in Izumykio!!!!! (Easy walk from Hirafu)

If you can get a spot, go into Bar Barunba for a Bruce Willis or two!!!!!

In all seriousness though, be polite, friendly, and do Straya proud by not bein a dick!!!!!

And if you want a more traditional feed and atmosphere, catch the night go bus into Kutchan and grab a great feed with some of the locals!!!!!

Also shop at the Co-op for your supplies!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2016 01:48 PM

Want Whiskey, if you get a down day go into Otaru for Ramen and then Beers at Otaru Brewery, then head into Yoichi on the way back, and go to Nikka for a few free ‘samples’!!!!!

in otaru is the best yakatori place ive ever been too and its all just locals there. Started off as a 5 seat mom & pop type store but because the sauce is sooooooooo good ( i want to bathe in it and if i drowned, id die happy!!!) they’ve had to upgrade to a proper 30+ sided eatery. God my mouth is watering thinking about it, Hurry up January!!!
Also some other killer little bars in Otaru as well if your happy to get away from the touristness of the canal.
I know it all pretty well as I base myself just out of there each year. Also just bought a house over there with 2 mates so watch this space for a killer shack to rent out!!!!!

trentradpants - 25 November 2016 06:11 PM
Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2016 01:48 PM

in otaru is the best yakatori place ive ever been too and its all just locals there. Started off as a 5 seat mom & pop type store but because the sauce is sooooooooo good ( i want to bathe in it and if i drowned, id die happy!!!) they’ve had to upgrade to a proper 30+ sided eatery. God my mouth is watering thinking about it, Hurry up January!!!
Also some other killer little bars in Otaru as well if your happy to get away from the touristness of the canal.
I know it all pretty well as I base myself just out of there each year. Also just bought a house over there with 2 mates so watch this space for a killer shack to rent out!!!!!

Oh, this news is full of awesomeness!!!!! ??

Some nice coastline around Otaru, and cool little villages!!!!!

What’s the name of this Yakitori Heaven????? I might have to pay it a visit, as sauced meat on a stick grilled over charcoal is one of my favourites!!!!!

Chicken mince tare, served with a raw egg yolk!!!!! ?

Exhibit A!!!!!

The crepe cafe is gone???????????????????????????????? Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! That was seriously my favourite morning stop, those chocolate crepes were soooooo damn good. Guess it’s back to the Seiko Mart breakfasts haha…
But seriously, that’s a jab in the heart. Gonna miss my morning coffees and crepes there. Hopefully they’ll re-open this year just elsewhere..

Really sad to hear that Gyu isn’t what it use to be like either. I’d love to pop into Nikka while I’m there though. I’ve actually got a Nikka From the Barrel whisky sitting on my desk right now, so damn good..

And a super good point - as Mizu Kuma said - be polite, be friendly, and show respect. So much goodness (actually greatness) over there in Japan and in Niseko, please don’t spoil it for everyone else. I’ve come across a few rude Aussie lads, and it’s frankly embarrassing. Don’t be that guy!! So much love in that place, embrace it!

PS Some footage from opening day yesterday, get ya froth on!

https://www.facebook.com/NisekoPowderJapan/videos/1392446144101210/

Like @LMB said, there’s still a decent coffee in the cafe in Shiki!!!!! Just don’t bother with the breakfast though as it’s exxy as!!!!!

Also get a decent coffee up at Ace on the hill if ya ridin Hirafu!!!!! They always do a good soup too!!!!!

Great lunch stop if ya over Annupuri is Pic Burger at the little van near the Gondora Station!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 26 November 2016 05:19 PM

Like @LMB said, there’s still a decent coffee in the cafe in Shiki!!!!! Just don’t bother with the breakfast though as it’s exxy as!!!!!

Also get a decent coffee up at Ace on the hill if ya ridin Hirafu!!!!! They always do a good soup too!!!!!

Great lunch stop if ya over Annupuri is Pic Burger at the little van near the Gondora Station!!!!!

And the deli section of the supermarket in Shiki did some great bacon and egg burgers or bacon and egg English muffins last season too.  Order coffee - go get food - back to collect coffee.  Winning.

If you’re looking for a kickarse sweet start the custard filled cream puffs from Mariposa are to die for!  Coffee is passable but not great.  Mariposa is opposite (ish) Jam Bar.