The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Niseko 2017

No idea what its called Miz but this is it & where it is on the map.

Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2016 08:34 PM
trentradpants - 25 November 2016 06:11 PM
Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2016 01:48 PM

Want Whiskey, if you get a down day go into Otaru for Ramen and then Beers at Otaru Brewery, then head into Yoichi on the way back, and go to Nikka for a few free ‘samples’!!!!!

in otaru is the best yakatori place ive ever been too and its all just locals there. Started off as a 5 seat mom & pop type store but because the sauce is sooooooooo good ( i want to bathe in it and if i drowned, id die happy!!!) they’ve had to upgrade to a proper 30+ sided eatery. God my mouth is watering thinking about it, Hurry up January!!!
Also some other killer little bars in Otaru as well if your happy to get away from the touristness of the canal.
I know it all pretty well as I base myself just out of there each year. Also just bought a house over there with 2 mates so watch this space for a killer shack to rent out!!!!!

Oh, this news is full of awesomeness!!!!! ??

Some nice coastline around Otaru, and cool little villages!!!!!

What’s the name of this Yakitori Heaven????? I might have to pay it a visit, as sauced meat on a stick grilled over charcoal is one of my favourites!!!!!

Chicken mince tare, served with a raw egg yolk!!!!! ?

trentradpants - 27 November 2016 10:04 PM

No idea what its called Miz but this is it & where it is on the map.

Mizu Kuma - 25 November 2016 08:34 PM
trentradpants - 25 November 2016 06:11 PM

Want Whiskey, if you get a down day go into Otaru for Ramen and then Beers at Otaru Brewery, then head into Yoichi on the way back, and go to Nikka for a few free ‘samples’!!!!!

in otaru is the best yakatori place ive ever been too and its all just locals there. Started off as a 5 seat mom & pop type store but because the sauce is sooooooooo good ( i want to bathe in it and if i drowned, id die happy!!!) they’ve had to upgrade to a proper 30+ sided eatery. God my mouth is watering thinking about it, Hurry up January!!!
Also some other killer little bars in Otaru as well if your happy to get away from the touristness of the canal.
I know it all pretty well as I base myself just out of there each year. Also just bought a house over there with 2 mates so watch this space for a killer shack to rent out!!!!!

Oh, this news is full of awesomeness!!!!! ??

Some nice coastline around Otaru, and cool little villages!!!!!

What’s the name of this Yakitori Heaven????? I might have to pay it a visit, as sauced meat on a stick grilled over charcoal is one of my favourites!!!!!

Chicken mince tare, served with a raw egg yolk!!!!! ?

Cool beans!!!!!

A quick scan around the nets and I think it’s called Tera-san!!!!! “The Temple” Yakitori Restuarant!!!!!

I might have to do a lunch stop over (if it’s open for lunch) on my way through from Asahikawa!!!!!

In all seriousness though, be polite, friendly, and do Straya proud by not bein a dick!!!!!

^^ Couldn’t agree more with this. You get a lot more out of people and much better experiences being polite anywhere you go. The way I see it, they’re sharing their snow with us and I’ve got nothing but respect for that.

Jonesy - 28 November 2016 05:51 PM

In all seriousness though, be polite, friendly, and do Straya proud by not bein a dick!!!!!

^^ Couldn’t agree more with this. You get a lot more out of people and much better experiences being polite anywhere you go. The way I see it, they’re sharing their snow with us and I’ve got nothing but respect for that.

Good attitude!!!!! ??

Learnin a few words of Japanese goes a loooonnngggg way too!!!!!

Often being silent or speaking wholly in your native tongue comes across as rude or arrogant!!!!! A simple word here or there, and everythin seems so much more welcoming!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 28 November 2016 07:39 PM
Jonesy - 28 November 2016 05:51 PM

Good attitude!!!!! ??

Learnin a few words of Japanese goes a loooonnngggg way too!!!!!

Often being silent or speaking wholly in your native tongue comes across as rude or arrogant!!!!! A simple word here or there, and everythin seems so much more welcoming!!!!!

Absolutely!
And if you try and get it wrong, it’s considered funny and cute and that you’ve made an effort.
I’m trying really hard to increase my vocabulary at the moment but I think I’m going to have to bite the bullet and enrol in a serious course next year because anything more than basic phrases and single words and I’m really struggling.

Yeah, I’m only good for basic words and a couple of phrases, but I’ve always had a great reaction from the locals!!!!!

I actually had a few compliments on my Japanese (I’m sure they were just being nice though) on my last visit, but I’ll never forget the time I was tryin to confidently bust out a few words in a little store in Nozawa, and a local told me that my Japanese sounded like “plomp plomp plomp”!!!!! To say that we both cracked up on the spot was an understatement!!!!!

A handshake and a man hug later, and I’m sure we had just closed the gap on international relations a touch!!!!! ?

Oh, and definitely get the Google Translate APP on ya phone!!!!! It has saved me on more than one occasion!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 29 November 2016 12:23 AM

Yeah, I’m only good for basic words and a couple of phrases, but I’ve always had a great reaction from the locals!!!!!

I actually had a few compliments on my Japanese (I’m sure they were just being nice though) on my last visit, but I’ll never forget the time I was tryin to confidently bust out a few words in a little store in Nozawa, and a local told me that my Japanese sounded like “plomp plomp plomp”!!!!! To say that we both cracked up on the spot was an understatement!!!!!

A handshake and a man hug later, and I’m sure we had just closed the gap on international relations a touch!!!!! ?

Oh, and definitely get the Google Translate APP on ya phone!!!!! It has saved me on more than one occasion!!!!!

I’m an Auslan (Australian Sign Language) interpreter.  So I’m used to gesticulating to make myself understood.  That saves me SO often when travelling. 

But it’s horrible if you’re playing charades.  It’s like cheating!

LMB - 29 November 2016 02:39 AM
Mizu Kuma - 29 November 2016 12:23 AM

I’m an Auslan (Australian Sign Language) interpreter.  So I’m used to gesticulating to make myself understood.  That saves me SO often when travelling. 

But it’s horrible if you’re playing charades.  It’s like cheating!

It’d be like playin Pictionary against Team Picasso Da Vinci!!!!! ?

@The Blind Kid @LMB

Here’s a pic of where the old House/Izakaya/Crepery used to be!!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNsS07uBzwk/

* I really just wanted to test out the instagram post feature!!!!! ?

Woah, pretty fancy… haha. Will definitely pop in and see what they have on offer!

Mizu Kuma - 07 December 2016 01:30 PM

@The Blind Kid @LMB

Here’s a pic of where the old House/Izakaya/Crepery used to be!!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNsS07uBzwk/

* I really just wanted to test out the instagram post feature!!!!! ?

Very cool feature.
Yeah, I’ve seen a few pics.
It’s local for me.  My apartment is in the street behind opposite The Slippery Slope.  Although the corner in that pic is also a slippery little slope at times.  I do recall myself and a couple of girlfriends going down in a heap right there one night in the wee hours.  It may or may not have had something to do with our level of intoxication at the time.

I’ll never forget one night when we got off the Snow Festival Bus, we were walking down Hirafu Zaka and from out of a driveway came these Nordic guys that were clearly pissed as parrots!!!!!

One guy has hit a patch of ice and thought he’d get a closer look at it by lowering his skull to its surface!!!!!

The sound that the impact made will be forever in my memory!!!!! ?

Mizu Kuma - 08 December 2016 11:21 AM

I’ll never forget one night when we got off the Snow Festival Bus, we were walking down Hirafu Zaka and from out of a driveway came these Nordic guys that were clearly pissed as parrots!!!!!

One guy has hit a patch of ice and thought he’d get a closer look at it by lowering his skull to its surface!!!!!

Yeah.  More injuries walking around the village than on the hill.
Yaktrax or similar are a very good idea!!

LMB - 08 December 2016 02:52 PM

Yerp, had Yaktrax since 08 Niseko stint, and had them ever since!!!!!

Peeps laugh, but I always have the last!!!!!

Mizu Kuma - 08 December 2016 08:15 PM
LMB - 08 December 2016 02:52 PM

Yerp, had Yaktrax since 08 Niseko stint, and had them ever since!!!!!

Peeps laugh, but I always have the last!!!!!

I force my guests to wear them if they are not regular skiers, or there is other reason to be such a bossy biartch.  My friends hubby broke 3 ribs slipping over on NYE, day 2 - screwed the rest of his holiday.

I’ve bought myself a pair of Merrell boots with Arctic Grip soles this year - the new ‘walk on ice’ ones.  Keen to give them a try!!