The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

What’s the best board and camber ????

Hey guys and girls.

I have been reading articles and looked at boards in shops as I am in the process of buying a new one and lets say I am confused what to get even after reading Jeremys camber explanation.

I have been riding boards for about 20 years and well i haven’t bought a new one for about 20 years. All my old boards were traditional camber and mainly directional.

Now I am looking at getting a new board as I booked a trip to Myoko japan. which is deep powder. Well it would be easy just get a S- Rocker for Powder but I also want to use the board afterwards in OZ where the powder is not so often seen.

One shop recommended Powder Camber and another one today recommended banana / hybrid rocker.

The board i have looked at are Burton landlord, Baracuda and Flight Attendant.

The one recommended today was a Lib tech Sk8 banana with a hybrid camber.

From my riding, i love freeriding backcountry if i get the chance and otherwise i carve doen the slopes. Some tricks but no rails or crazy stuff like 540 etc. (360 max). I must say the Hybrid canber looks weird for me and i can’t see how it could hold powerfull turns.

Let me know what you guys think and what your experience is.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Tom

From your info given, I’d be lookin for a RCR Profile!!!!!

Welcome to Boardworld, Tom! cool smile

From what you’re telling, I would agree that full camber or RCR (CamRock) would suit you best. I’m hearing words like “freeriding”, “carving”, “powerful turns”—you need camber between your feet.

Given my recommendation of full camber or CamRock, you can achieve float in powder other ways: shape and taper, setback, and of course with rocker in the nose and tail of CamRock boards. The truth is, most CamRock boards will ride quite similarly to full camber, in that they are stable, energetic, and predictable. What you’re gaining is a bit of playfulness and float in powder.

I think what it comes down to is breaking down your riding and intentions even further.

- Do you ride much switch? Do you intend to ride switch more? Are you riding park?
- Do you want to stick with what you know (camber/directional shape) or do you want to experiment with other profiles and shapes?
- Is versatility important to you? Powder, Japan, Australia, groomers etc.

Depending on your intentions are here, my recommendations could change. But please let me know what you think and we can discuss it in more detail.

Who recommended you a Skate Banana? Given you’re mainly into freeriding and carving, I find this suggestion a bit absurd to be honest. It’s soft, pretty much full rocker… not what you’re looking for.

I’m going to throw a few boards into the mix that I would highly recommend:

YES Optimistic—Poplar and bamboo core (high end), CamRock profile, sintered base, directional volume twin (extra float in pow), 10mm setback, lifetime warranty. Basically a high performance, versatile snowboard. Will rip in Japan and Australia. https://www.boardworld.com.au/brands/yes-snowboards (we only have 154, 156W, and 159W left in stock).

Jones Explorer—Directional but highly versatile, sintered base, mellow magnetraction, directional CamRock, great value. https://www.boardworld.com.au/brands/jones-snowboards
More info: https://www.jonessnowboards.com/Explorer.html

There are other boards in both these brands worth considering as well.

Anyway, hit us back with more info, and also your weight, boot size etc. and we’ll be able to assist you further.

rider26.

Thanks for your detailed answer.

To anwser your questions:

- Do you ride much switch? Do you intend to ride switch more? Are you riding park?
I must admit i don’t really ride much switchand don’t do any of the crazy new tricks. I just enjoy the most a great powder day with some old school methods and maybe a 360 or two. I haven’t ridden though for 3 years now.

- Do you want to stick with what you know (camber/directional shape) or do you want to experiment with other profiles and shapes?

I am more than happy to try something new and your suggestions with Rock cambe make sense and is also what a shop on the coast recommended

- Is versatility important to you? Powder, Japan, Australia, groomers etc.

Yes I would like a board that works in a lot of scenarios which would speak for an all mountain but my pref is powder turns. unfortunately you don’t always get what you want lol. So it might have to suffice for perisher or remarkables as well.

I am 72 to 74 kg without gear and shoesize is 9.5.

I did look at the Jones Montain in the shop (mainly because it looks nice with the carbon) and the explorer from the characteristics.

No worries at all, mate. That’s what we’re here for.

Based on everything you’ve told me, my strongest recommendation would be for the Jones Explorer 156. I feel you can actually get everything you want out of this board, including the versatility you are seeking. The 156 size is perfectly suitable and versatile for riding pow, ripping groomers, or even venturing into the park. It’s directional which is probably more suited to your style, but again it’s still super versatile and will ride switch no problem when you feel you want to. This thing will slay pow runs for sure. The shape, directional CamRock (more rocker in the nose than tail), and sintered base… it’s just waiting for powder lines. The flex is versatile, you have mellow magnetraction for icy days, and it’s just great value for money.

You could step it up to the 159 for sure, but this comes down to personal preference on; do you want more stability and float of the 159, or do you want the all-round versatility of the 156? At 72-74kg, if it were me I’d probably steer towards the 156, unless this was purely going to be my powder board.

There are other (and more expensive) boards to consider. For example, the YES Optimistic would be super nice, as would the Jones Mountain Twin, but I honestly feel like the Explorer ticks all the boxes for you and it’s exactly what you’re looking for.

Also, please check your private messages. I’m going to send you one now.

Yeah I looked at the mountain twin. I looks a bit stiffer and i guess its a true twin.

I definitely would go for the 159. DO you think thats long enough for Japan ?

What binding would you put on either to be on the middle to stiffer side ?

Austrian Surfer - 12 December 2015 10:34 PM

Yeah I looked at the mountain twin. I looks a bit stiffer and i guess its a true twin.

159 at your weight would be sweet in Japan!!!!!

I reckon Flux Teams would go perfect with that board, and great in powder too!!!!!

Jeremy helped me out earlier in the year when I was looking for a board with very similar requirements to what you’ve described.  I was deciding between the Yes Optimist and the Jones Mountain Twin - ended up going for the Mountain Twin for no particular reason - they are both awesome boards.

I’m also heading to Myoko early next year and powder-float was a big part of the decision process - I haven’t looked back.

Since July I’ve taken the Mountain Twin to both Aus & NZ and it performed equally well on the icy groomers of TC, powder of heli and the slushy stuff at Falls.  It’s been awesome in all conditions, very stable and pretty quick.

Having said that, the Explorer looks pretty sweet - love the shape.

FWIW I went with the 161W but i have size 12 boots and I’m 95kg.  The 159 would give you good float for Japan.  I cannot wait to take this board to Whistler in Jan and Myoko in Feb!!

Mizu Kuma - 13 December 2015 12:22 AM
Austrian Surfer - 12 December 2015 10:34 PM

159 at your weight would be sweet in Japan!!!!!

I reckon Flux Teams would go perfect with that board, and great in powder too!!!!!

What about a NOW Select. anyone tried these ?

Hughman666 - 13 December 2015 11:19 AM

Jeremy helped me out earlier in the year when I was looking for a board with very similar requirements to what you’ve described.  I was deciding between the Yes Optimist and the Jones Mountain Twin - ended up going for the Mountain Twin for no particular reason - they are both awesome boards.

I’m also heading to Myoko early next year and powder-float was a big part of the decision process - I haven’t looked back.

Since July I’ve taken the Mountain Twin to both Aus & NZ and it performed equally well on the icy groomers of TC, powder of heli and the slushy stuff at Falls.  It’s been awesome in all conditions, very stable and pretty quick.

Having said that, the Explorer looks pretty sweet - love the shape.

FWIW I went with the 161W but i have size 12 boots and I’m 95kg.  The 159 would give you good float for Japan.  I cannot wait to take this board to Whistler in Jan and Myoko in Feb!!

Thanks for the feedback. I must say I am not sure about the shape of the Explorer, i think i like the look better of the mountain twin but looks aren’t anything grin

The 159 would be ample size for sure.

The Mountain Twin is an amazing board. I suggested the Explorer because it’s directional, and you’re not riding much switch—thus giving you a bit more float in powder. It just seems a bit better suited to what you’re looking for. Either way you’re getting a great board which will do what you need it to.

The Selects are excellent bindings. I’m a huge fan of Now bindings. I’m currently riding the new Pilots which I am super stoked on. Great decision in my opinion if you decide to go for Now bindings.

Pretty sure the Mountain Twin has a 3/4 setback. Correct me if I’m wrong here.

Yep the Mountain Twin is set back 20mm and you can go back more if needed, so it’s not a true twin…

Twin shape, though—so the actual outline shape won’t give you extra float (unlike a tapered shape or longer nose lengths). The Mountain Twin’s float comes from the directional CamRock and set back reference stance. All these things make it incredibly versatile.

Any board can be set back from the reference if you wish.

Yes it is almost perfectly shaped as a twin. I was having a look at the ultra mtn twin earlier today - looks pretty awesome, is it too early to buy one??

K2 CarveAir - check out the Whitelines review of the board. I reckon it would be a ripper board for you!