The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Not progressing

I don’t know if I’m just not seeing a difference in my skating but I feel I have stalled and am not making any progress. I’m very comfortable just riding and I can ollie easily but everything feels sketchy. I think it might be that I don’t know what to learn next. I rather transition but even there I have trouble with even axle stalls and pumping but can boneless pretty high off a 4 foot quarter. Help would be very much appreciated.

We all hit plateaus in our riding sometimes. I’m a snowboard instructor but I skate too (not that good on a skateboard though).

I like transition too. And I think I learnt lip trick after lip trick until I couldn’t go any further. I realized that my tranny skating had become way better than my other skating (flat ground, rails etc). And I couldn’t get any better until I filled in the gaps in my skating. It might be the same for you?

If there’s an indoor park near u, ask them if they have a skate coach that can show u what to work on.

If not, Braille Skateboarding r really good online lessons. And they have a pathway if tricks to learn in order which I think would help you.

Also, have u checked out the BW skate trick tips?

Skateboarding is a cruel mistress, you can easily hit a moment of no progress. Don’t stress over it, sometimes you just need to go out and roll around enjoying the streets, olling up and down things. Craving around a park also helps give you more board feel. The most important thing is not to get annoyed with yourself for not progressing (easier said than done especially if you want to progress).
Think about the tricks you are really struggling on and each time you do them and look at things like your feet position and what is getting you the closest and work from there. Trick trips will help, but always remember that we all do things differently. So take what you read or see and apply your own twist on it. Also remember bend the knees.
I hope this gives you some more insight, if you need more help just ask again.

The other guys touched on this already, but in my opinion the best thing you can do is find a halfpipe/bowl and just pump up and down. Practice pivot turning and riding to fakie as much as you can. Start off small—even if you can only ride a little up the quarter and back to fakie, it’s a start. I think this is the single best way to get used to balancing your weight, which is the absolute key to skateboarding. Believe me, you’ll be surprised how quickly you get used to it, and your style will begin to flow and become more natural the more you practice just riding up and down.

Also, for things like axle stalls, remember to take it slow. A lot of people try to quickly shift their board sideways, but you really have to pivot your way into the stall, a lot slower than you think. Often with skateboarding, and I think almost any skater will know what I mean when I say this, tricks look like they’re happening a lot quicker when you watch somebody else do them. When you do them yourself, it can almost feel like you’re in slow motion, until you look back on footage and realise it’s the same for everyone.

Best of luck!

walker - 11 November 2015 11:09 AM

Also, for things like axle stalls, remember to take it slow.

THIS!! Great advice.

I usually learn a stall first in anyway I can. Just to gain the confidence to know I can ride away first.
But it wasn’t until I made myself slow them down (which is scarier… but worth it) that I eventually got it to stall for any decent amount of time. And as a bonus, once you can do that, you really feel in control of the trick and you can add your own style to it or try some variations on it.

Hey guys!

Meehah, having ups and downs in progression is all a part of learning any new skill, not just skating.

Its happened to all of us and it can be a very frustrating time.

I found myself stuck in a big rut as I wasnt willing to push myself that bit harder in fear of injuring myself and not being able to work.

The best thing to help with skating is skating around the streets. Just pushing and getting faster and faster. Also what walker suggested with just pumping up and down a ramp for ages helps too. When I first started skating, thats all I did and it helped immensely. It just gives you more board feel and control and confidence.
Pumping around bowls will also be great for this, and its some of the funnest skating you can do too!

If your keen on skating transition and want to push a bit further, dont be fearful of wearing pads and a helmet. It makes a big difference in confidence for trying new stuff.