The BOARDWORLD Forums ran from 2009 to 2021 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive

Smoker thread

Not sure if there is one already, but let’s kick this one off.  It’s almost summer after all.

Who smokes meat? 
What do you smoke it on? A purpose-built smoker or a BBQ with a smoking box? 
Did you build a ghetto smoker out of a 44 gallon drum? 
Or did you buy a Weber Smokey Mountain - I did grin

Who’s cooking what??

This is my Grand Final long weekend ahead….

Its’ going in at midnight for a 14hr smoke.  Will post pics up after….

I have a Hark 2 door Gas Electric. Only had it since August so haven’t made to many things yet.
I also have an a-maze-n cold smoke generator.

So far have done
- Cheyneworst (my own take on Rookworst),
- Pork ribs,
- smoked pizza,
- Burger patties (was the leftover mix from sausages made into patties),
- Chicken wings.
Cold smoked
- Brie cheese

Have tried hickory, and apple chips.
and Apple and Jim beam pellets.

Apple is a mild sort of flavor
Hickory has a peppery flavor
Both are quite good, if i had to choose though. maybe the hickory is slightly better.

I thought this thread was about something else. LOL

Those setups look awesome, and you’ve succeeded in making me very hungry.

We don’t smoke anything ourselves, but I love smoked food. Looking forward to seeing how your 14hr smoke turns out!

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Hark electrics, but have never tried myself - I stick to charcoal mostly (Weber Q gas when you just want to smash out a couple of quick steaks).  The sausage looks amazing and don’t even start me on the pizza - it’s too early!

I love Hickory wood chunks with pork but have been using Mesquite a bit lately, it’s a pretty strong aroma - fantastic for beef - brisket, ribs etc.  It’s like the IPA of wood chunks!!

Have you ever tried smoking salmon or other fish?

Nah I haven’t attempted fish yet but keen to give it a try.

Just pulled the pork out and it’s almost there…

I’ll whack up some pics tonight if I have a chance!!!!!

Love anythin that’s been cooked with wood!!!!! drool

Some great work here already guys!!!!!

* Just in case you guys don’t know already, don’t smoke fish in ya smoker unless ya want your other food to take on the flavour of the fish!!!!! Use a seperate dedicated smoker for seafood!!!!!

So here’s a few pics of my toys, and some of the many things that have come out of them!!!!!

Cheers for the tip with the fish.

Damn that pork looks awesome. What temp you do it at?

The only dislike i have for that hark, is as it uses chips, it doesn’t smoke for to long without needing to be topped up. I had it on full gas, got to about 170°C and was out of puff in an hour, and had one flair up where they combusted and started to burn. So needs to be monitored throughout the smoke.

Once i have my own house, i’d like to build my own with a bigger separate tray for the chips and water pot. with some piping into a smoke chamber.
I saw a cool one make out of what looks like an old exhaust manifold. Will try find the pics.

DR1F7R - 03 October 2015 07:45 PM

Cheers for the tip with the fish.

Damn that pork looks awesome. What temp you do it at?

The only dislike i have for that hark, is as it uses chips, it doesn’t smoke for to long without needing to be topped up. I had it on full gas, got to about 170°C and was out of puff in an hour, and had one flair up where they combusted and started to burn. So needs to be monitored throughout the smoke.

Once i have my own house, i’d like to build my own with a bigger separate tray for the chips and water pot. with some piping into a smoke chamber.
I saw a cool one make out of what looks like an old exhaust manifold. Will try find the pics.

I’d run it a lot cooler than 170, and maybe try soakin the chips in liquid?????

Water, Favourite Alcohol, or even Vinegars!!!!!

That’ll make them smoke longer, and stronger!!!!!

Just gotta be careful how much smoke you do create, as sometimes too much can give ya meat a bitter taste!!!!!

I nearly lashed out and bought a Yoder Offset!!!!!

One day, one day!!!!!

Oh i was more seeing what i could get it to. the sausages i do at 50, any higher than 70, and the fat leaks out and makes em dry out. Also have a big sealed bucked with my chips in, they stay soaking until i scoop em out to use em. smile

DR1F7R - 03 October 2015 08:50 PM

Oh i was more seeing what i could get it to. the sausages i do at 50, any higher than 70, and the fat leaks out and makes em dry out. Also have a big sealed bucked with my chips in, they stay soaking until i scoop em out to use em. smile

thumbsup

I smoke in the 95-120 degree zone and use wood chunks instead of chips.  Even without soaking (I only soak chips, not chunks) the chunks last a good 4-5 hours - enough for most cooking as the first 2 hours are where the meat absorbs the most of the flavour-smoke.  The rest is just aroma.

The pork sat at 95-105 pretty much the whole time.

Mizu, is that an iGrill I see in there? I use mine to measure ambient temp in the smoker as the dial on the lid is too high to get an accurate reading - and it’s way out!

I also have my eye on a Yoder smoker (I think they’re around the $5k mark), although I’m tempted to get the 22.5” Smokey Mountain. Mine is the 18.5” (I think like yours) and it’s awesome although sometimes it gets a bit cramped.  Still for $700 it’s already paid for itself a few times over.  I don’t know if i could justify the $21,000 for this bad boy though:

Yeah, the iGrill is plugged into a pork shoulder that’s done smokin and wrapped in foil!!!!!

I love the WSM!!!!! The hardest part of usin them is not being able to look at the food every 5 minutes!!!!! LOL

But I have my Spits for that, I guess!!!!!

Damn straight, when you have people over and they all want to keep “checking on it” - leave it the fuck alone please!!

The spit looks pretty serious - how much did that set you back?